Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Justus2

Take 3010RE off its jacks - need advice

I need lots of advice....please!

We parked our Alpine 3010RE permanently (or permanent for a few years) and need to take it off its hydraulic jacks, and set it down on cement bricks so as to not damage the hydraulics while they are not being used. We've heard its not good to leave these on their jacks for extended periods of time so we're trying to abide by what we've been told.

Our last trailer (1996 Wilderness 37W) was on its scissor jacks + 10 stand jacks for 18 years. The scissor jacks had to be cut off when we moved it because they would not retract

First question - should we retract the slides before we start this?

Second question - Would you recommend we set it down at the same height it is currently leveled at (on all 6 jacks), or lower (like it was only on the front two jacks)? My husband has six sets of bricks situated behind the jacks at just about the same height (within an inch or two), and is ready to retract the jacks once he has the bricks even with the frame. This scares me for a couple reasons. 1 - we didn't pay attention to how the jacks worked (our salesman set it up for us) and 2 - I think its too high and we should set it down lower. Is it going to hurt if its set down on bricks that are as high as the jacks were?

Last question - Whats the best way to retract the jacks? I know we can retract the back 4 and leave the front 2 down but I have no idea how to do this. I'm ready to ask my salesman to come back up and help us. He's such a great guy I know he'd be there if I asked.

Help.....
Justus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:07 AM   #2
bsmith0404

The height isn't critical so I would set it at a point that feels good for you, basically a good height for steps going in and out. Assuming you are building some type of deck out front, so that's probably not much of a concern.

As for how the jacks will retract, the back four will retract together until weight is off then they will retract one or two at a time. Then the fronts will do the same thing. As long as he has the blocks close to the frame it should set down on them pretty straight. I would do them in the manual mode, not auto retract, can run it slower and watch, stop and adjust.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
GaryWT

The trailer should be leveled side to side using the wheels and front to back using the tongue jack. This said, by closing the stabilizer jacks, the trailer should not move unless the tires have lost air over the years so check the tire pressure. The weight of the trailer should not be lifted by the jacks. We were seasonal for 11 years and our trailer was set up on bricks, we did not use the jacks. You should be able the just hit the button and close them. It would not hurt to run the slides in either if they have not been moved for awhile. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Rusty

Personally I would not use cement blocks as they have a habit of cracking if used, we used them for a season until I pulled the truck out and one collapsed.

I prefer to use wood blocking.

But that's just me.....

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote