Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Lenster

Loud Popping with Hot Water Heater

Everytime my electric heater element comes on, it makes 3 or 4 loud popping noises. Sounds like someone tapping the frame with a hammer. The noise is quite loud inside the trailer. We still have hot water on either electric or propane. Of course, the service technician couldn't hear anything.

This spring, they replaced my electric heater element. The tech says the replacements are 3 inches shorter and there have been similar issues reported by other customers. He said either find and install the original longer element, or learn to live with the noise, which is what he's been telling people. Funny he couldn't hear it but knew exactly what I was talking about. I've had three trailers and know this noise is not normal.

Has anyone had issues with the new shorter electric elements? My heater is a Suburban SW6DE, both electric and direct spark propane.

Len
2011 Cougar 327RES Polar Plus Silver Label Options Sedona Suede Interior
2011 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD 6.0L Gas 410 Rear Std Box 18" Denali Rims Line-X Spray Box Liner
15K PullRite SuperGlide Hitch ISR 2700 Series w/Reece Mounts
Lenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
fred1609

We also have a 327RES. I haven't heard any of the "popping" noise you describe. The only noise I hear is when I have disconnected the shore power and the unit tries to lite. I googled the problem and there is a story regarding a sticks and bricks unit having the same problem. Have a read and see if this is a reasonable explanation as to what is occurring. Try flushing the unit out as well.http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fix-pop...ers-38976.html
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
labs4life

My heater makes popping noises but it is the first time it comes on or if someone is showering. Mine is due to cold water being heated in that little metal heater and the metal popping from expansion, I would guess. I do not use the electric side so this is on propane.
Not anything major here, hopefully you get yours figured out.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
Lenster

Talked to the tech again who suggested I book another appointment to replace the element with an original length one. The shorter replacement they use - I asked whether these came form the water heater OEM and he coud not confirm either way.

I see where sediments may be causing an issue as well. I'll get him to flush it out properly.
Lenster is offline   Reply With Quote