Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
pressure_welder

Quality?

Wife and i just purchased a 2013 266RL, had to trade our 03 topaz in as we were having some SLIGHT but barely visable delam bubbles. Thought it would be a good a time as any to upgrade. So we purchased the 266RL, dont get me wrong we still love it but i am horrified at the craftsmenship and attention to quality, we've only camped in it twice (locally), in that time so far the air conditioner blades seperated and pretty much destroyed itself... so replaced that under warrenty, now were getting prepared for our annual 1 month trip at the lake so last night i go to test out the water pump and no pressure to the unit, so i do some investigating and a long story short i spend about 3 hrs in the boot underneath the camper fixing the HORRIBLE plumbing job, some of the lines were bend/crushed at a 90* angle, loose band clamps, is it just me or does quality not exist anymore? i fixed it all myself as i just dont have time to run back and forth to the dealer... keystone should be paying me by the hour to fix their CRAP! an extra 30min of pride in your job at the factory would make a world of a difference i am sure
pressure_welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Sparky

Welcome to the rv world. Poor quality control and cheap parts are the norm. It's not brand specific, it's industry wide.
Pull Rite Hitch
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
warsw

Kinda sad but true. It seems that the RV industry in general has built a reputation for their lack of doing quality work. It seems that the customer (us) has accepted this lack of quality and just keep buying with the attitude that we know it will need fixed before we even use it but “I will fix it”. I think at the cost of a new RV the money is there to build a quality product but the manufactures don't feel the need because they know we will buy their product anyway. IMHO
Old 07-30-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
gearhead

Makes you want to look at the stocks of RV companies. Profit margin has to be huge.
Those of us that have been in manufacturing realize it is really poor management that can't control quality.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
pressure_welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Welcome to the rv world. Poor quality control and cheap parts are the norm. It's not brand specific, it's industry wide.
Agreed, its too bad that they still want 40,000$ for this type of quality. I must say that even our 2003 Topaz luxury touring edition was far better quality construction, plumbing was clean and streamline, bought that unit brand new and never had one single issue with it. Owned this new keystone for 2 months and it seems to be destroying itself, i can see now that purchasing the extended 5yr warrenty may be a nessecary evil. My friend is actually my salesmen at the dealer and he is furious with whats been taking place with these issues, however it isnt MAJOR issues its just piddly crap that takes time out of your day. But i explained to him iam not about to hook up and pull the camper to the dealer to have problems like this fixed all the time it just isnt worth my time, having it sit there and not in the driveway being able to be packed etc. So again i have no idea how or what theyll do for me, but i did jokingly say that keystone should be paying me by the hour to fix their screw ups, like how can keystones QC look at the plumbing and see 90* crush/kinks in the rubber lines and thinkg OH water will TOTALLY still go through that fine.... Oh and another lovely but yet again piddly issue that happened, the cheap shower head i guess cracked during travel or somthing right where the head meets the rubber hose just enough to keep the head on the hose, (week keep the head on the wall when showering) and my wife graciously got smashed in the face as it ripped off fully with the water pressure! thank goodness for JB weld. Actually spoke with the dealer principal and said if i dont have a completely trouble free month at the lake (which is our annual trip..... the ONLY thing i count the days for every year) that ill be pulling the camper back and they can have it. Its tough because we DO love the camper, but where does it end?
pressure_welder is offline   Reply With Quote