Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
oliverquibble

2004 Laredo Landing Gear Problem

Problem--The landing gear on the the right side (as you look at it from the front) moves up and down just fine, but the one on the left is stuck all the way up and no longer extends or retracts. In the past (before the left gear stop working), the right landing gear was extended about 3 inches more than the left one. At the time, they operated in tandem but during retraction, the left one hit the top before the right one did--I would have to stop retraction based on the left ones position. Once the left one hit the top, I could retract no further and the right one would still be 3 inches out. But as I previouly stated, now the left one won't move at all, the right one does all the work.

Anybody have any idea what is wrong and what it will take to fix it?
oliverquibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Rusty

Do you have two motors and gearboxes?

If not is the torque tube/connecting tube between the two legs connected or slipping?

What does it sound like when it is operating?

I had one of the shafts of my legs snap last year and had to rebuild both legs and replace the gearbox as it was plastic and one of the mounting bosses snapped off.

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Rusty

Also the gears in the one leg could be stripping, or the lock pin is picking up the gear every couple of rotations and spinning the threaded rod.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Based on your statement that the "carrier leg" on the left was about 3" higher than the "drive leg" on the right, I'd suspect that when you were running your landing gear up, you'd hit the stop on the left leg and put stress on those gears before you started stressing the right leg. Over time, either you sheared the pin in the torque tube (it's located where the torque tube enters the left leg gearbox, or you've stripped (or otherwise damaged) gears in the left leg.

Either way, when you do get around to repairing it, make sure that both legs reach the top at the same time, then mark your landing gear so you stop upward motion BEFORE you get to the "mechanical stop" That way you won't be putting unnecessary stress on your gearboxes and they should last much longer.

For now, check the shear pin, if it's good, you've probably got a damaged left gearbox. You can order just the gear set and install it yourself, order a replacement gearbox (somewhat expensive) or take it to the dealer (usually very expensive).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Rusty

The reduction gearbox is $55. A rebuild kit costs also costs $55 with both bevel gears and all pins and washers included in the kit.

I know I had to replace it last year and I got the pricing from Venture.

I have all of the pricing for everything and all rebuild PDF's from Venture Manufacturing.

I should upload the PDF's to the forum as it shows everything for a rebuild of the legs.

Also back then the gearboxes were made of plastic to save money, so after many complaints Venture switched to aluminum.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Rusty

SO just wondering how you are making out?

Did you get the situation sorted out?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
oliverquibble

great!

Husband called Venture and they were great! Venture emailed the plans so he could view. First time for husband to fix any mechanical parts. Reviewed the plans ordered parts, about $150. He decided to fix both sides. (Like you discovered that company had switched from plastic to aluminum motor cover. Ours was cracked so he repalced) He said everything went back together easy. Took his time and now both sides work smoother than before!

Maybe you have an answer to the next question. Because we were in our driveway and not using a checklist... when disconnecting from truck, he failed to disconnect the emergency cable line. He put it back right away, but how wondering if there are things he needs to check to be sure the break is working. I posted a question earlier tonight.
Thx. We love our Laredo! Of course we have only gone on 2 short shake down trips. Next week we are going to leave our home in FL and head out west. AK TX NM Cant wait.
oliverquibble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landing gear