Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
schwalbach

Smile Where do you put your bikes?

I was told by the dealer that under so circumstances should I put a bike carrier on the rear bumper as it will not hold on on 275sbh Laredo.

So I am left with several options:
1. Put them inside and risk scratching up the interior.
2. Put a front hitch and carry them in front of the truck but then I would have to remove my winch.
3. Install a headache rack behind the cab and build a bike rack into it, I would have 2 feet to spare with the 8 foot box.
4. My personal favorite, build a receiver into the kinpin box on the trailer and put a bike rack off the front of the trailer, again I have 2 extra feet with the 8 foot box.
5. Bike rack on roof of crewcab, or off headache rack but somewhat over the roof of cab.

So assuming I go with option 4, Is there anyone that makes a hitch to mount on the pin box?

No matter which option I go with which bike carrier do you use, there is like a billion options all claiming to be the best!

I have already took into consideration that they would be up high on the front of the trailer, a foldown to the ground would be best but I have yet to find one that folds more than a foot lower.

So how do you all haul them? If you have done option 4, can you post pictures if you built it?

Keep in mind the 8 foot box and extened pin box give me 2 foot plus to play with between the camper and truck.

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
SteveC7010

We've chewed on this topic extensively within the past year. Use the search function to find those threads.

And, you missed a choice. You could always purchase an aftermarket receiver hitch for the rear of the trailer that connects direct to the frame or have one fabbed up. Again, there are extensive discussions of these in the same previous threads. FWIW, this option is my choice if I ever have to replace the slide-out tray on the Cougar that has the same 200# weight limit as ALL Keystone rear bumpers. This option allows use of a standard receiver style bike rack. Either Thule or Yakima for choice of brand.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
35mastr

Either build or buy a hitch for the rear. That will be the easiest route.
[B]Honda 3000IS
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
schwalbach

after reading about all the rear bumper problems, and the fact many bike carriers do not approve mounting on rear, I am more interested in the pin box solution and after searching the forums I found very little about that option.

Is there any premade options or is it a fab your own deal?

2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH
2015 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
schwalbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Outbackmel

Bike carrier on a 5er

Saw what you are describing this past summer in Myrtle Beach. Looked solid and interesting. Unfortunately I did not chat with the owner. I have a short bed so this was not an option for us.
Try all of the owner forum sites you can join and ask. Somebody knows somebody
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
captbru

We have a hitch on the front to carry the bikes and works really well. We recently bought two kyaks and added tully racks on the truck roof. I decided that two much going on out the windshield. Took the trailer to the welder for a hitch on the pin box. Took the current bike rack and bikes along, after serveral times doing the measurent and the position of my pin box it wouldn't work for me. The problem was the bike tires would go into the rear window if I did any eighty to ninty turns, we go into alot of NP that are a little tight. Were allways doing nintys into sites, so said with the orginal setup and the kayak bottoms look good with the bike handles. Bottom line measure first. Our last trailer we added a hitch to the back, however the welder manufactured the entire setup and welded to the frame.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Paddler

We use a TV front mounted receiver. I've seen pictures of a king pin bike rack. A Canadian company builds and sells them, but I'm not finding that website either.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Ruffus

Thumbs up Whats the problem?

I don't know what's the problem with carring them on the rear bumper. I carry two mountain bikes and a large blue waste water tank and have had no problems from Georgia to California and back twice. I have a bolt on bumper 2 inch receiver and a bike rack.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Outbackmel

Jim

I have a bolt on receiver hitch and do basically the same. I have a rack that also has bicycle wheel supports. ( 2 full size bikes) off and on in 10 minutes. 3rd bike is on a ladder rack. RV spare is in truck bed. No issue.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
mhs4771

We were thinking of the Pin Box front mounted receiver as we had seen several, but finally gave up the idea as being rather difficult to lift up the bike into the TV box, then onto a carrier in the receiver. Solved the problem by buying a different rig with a good solid 2" receiver that accepts our Swagman two bike rack and holds them solid. Good luck in your search.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
skifreak76

I have a front mounted hitch on the silverado. it works great, does not impead airflow so truck stays at correct temp. and i can keep an eye on them!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
sandy43

This is what I did. Receiver hitch, cargo carrier, al box mounted on it, and bike rake on box. Works great and even have extra storage space. Trying to load a picture, if I can get this done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrierandbikerack2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2322  

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
SkiSmuggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifreak76 View Post
I have a front mounted hitch on the silverado. it works great, does not impead airflow so truck stays at correct temp. and i can keep an eye on them!
Not a bad idea. I have a rear bumper rack on my fiver, carried the grandkids bikes 100 miles to CG where they rode them for 3 days. Put them on the rack for the trip home and they were gone when we got there with just a strap with a broken buckle to show I had fastened them down. Never trust a plastic buckle and always use more than one thing to tie them down.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
rhagfo

So there is a big difference between #3 and #4, with #3 you stand a good chance of bending the bikes in a sharp turn, where as with #4 they will swing out of the way!

So I am left with several options:
1. Put them inside and risk scratching up the interior.
2. Put a front hitch and carry them in front of the truck but then I would have to remove my winch.
3. Install a headache rack behind the cab and build a bike rack into it, I would have 2 feet to spare with the 8 foot box.
4. My personal favorite, build a receiver into the kinpin box on the trailer and put a bike rack off the front of the trailer, again I have 2 extra feet with the 8 foot box.
5. Bike rack on roof of crewcab, or off headache rack but somewhat over the roof of cab.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
twstdpear

Personally, I'd go with #5 or maybe #2 since they're the most flexible options. With those two, you can still use the rack to port the bikes even when you're not hooked up, such as to go to a nearby trail that's just a little to far or dangerous to bike to, or even when you're not camping at all.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Family_5ers

Went through all the same thoughts, honestly for us it was just easier to carefully put them inside when we travel. We wrap a lightweight blanket or sheet around them - to avoid grease or dirt spreading. Just our two cents.
Current 5er: 2013 Laredo 335TG
Past 5er: 2001 Innsbruk 27FRKD

Family_5ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
mike&jenny

That's what I usually do. Carefully put them inside. Just don't let the kids do it or my DW. They aren't as careful as I am.
mike&jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
SkiSmuggs

I don't even let the DW put the truck in the garage!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Loriv247

I've been looking at these side mount racks. My kids bikes are small enough to fit inside the FW, so it's a possibility (unless it interferes with the bed rails of the hitch).

http://www.softopper.com/side-mount-...px#prettyPhoto
Loriv247 is offline   Reply With Quote