Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #21
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Those are actually plastic panels that are installed using a special double sided tape. We did our entire kitchen at home with them and absolutely love the look and the ease of cleanup. This will give you a pretty good idea of the look of one of the styles they offer:

I used brushed stainless steel for all the electric outlets on the back splash which gave a great appearance to the whole area.

They clean up very quickly with any product like 409.

Installation is really easy as you cut the panels with a straight edge and a sharp utility knife.

I have this on my to do list for the Cougar when it comes out of storage in the spring.
I like..

10 characters.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #22
hankpage
Site Team

Steve, I think your better half has the best way to reduce spatter ..... Order take out.

Seriously, it looks great but being plastic .... how would it hold up to the heat from a large pot on a rear burner. This is one of my concerns with the current wall. .... Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Steve, I think your better half has the best way to reduce spatter ..... Order take out.

Seriously, it looks great but being plastic .... how would it hold up to the heat from a large pot on a rear burner. This is one of my concerns with the current wall. .... Hank
I am usually the one that suggests take out....

We've had zero problems with heat issues. But, like most residential stoves, there is that large metal back section that dissipates a lot of heat before it reaches the plastic.

My last trailer had a folding metal cover for the cook top that did much the same thing.

I would point out that I am not hearing any reports of damage to the existing wall materiel which is basically wall paper over thin plywood due to heat issues from the stove. So my educated guess is that the plastic panels won't either.

I do know that if you heat them intentionally, they don't sag or deform on their own. When I installed the electric outlet cover plates, I used a heat gun to warm the plastic around the outlet so that the cover plates would fit tighter to the wall. The plastic took a different shape only when pressed down by the cover plate and then allowed to cool. There was no extension of the deformity beyond the edges of the stainless steel plates.

I tested the heat gun on a scrap of the stuff before attempting to install the plates, and there was no deformity unless I intentionally reshaped the material while still very hot. The material does not expand or contract when heated and then cooled.

Also, I really had to concentrate the heat in a very small area to get it soft enough to mold to the edges of the cover plates. So I suspect that the heat from cooking, even with a large pot on a back burner, won't damage the material.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #24
SteveC7010

I would also mention that a lot of folks are already using Lexan or Plexiglass sheets for this purpose and I am not hearing any mention of damage to them.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #25
Festus2
Site Team

We've used plexiglass on our last two 5ers and have never experienced any damage to it. When the stove is being used, the area nearest the back and side burner gets warm but ever-so-slightly. We don't see it as a potential fire hazard.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
Bluewater

I did the same as hot rod and it works great and super easy to install plus makes the range look better.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #27
curlyfungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post

I say use a front burner lol. Im dragging the hubby to the store this weekend to get the supplies for this project!
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote