Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Lack of HP

satellite systems

I am looking at putting a satellite system in my Cougar 327 res. Never used satellite before. Camping world has a system that you can purchase and buy a package from Dish on a pay as you go plan.
Does anyone use this or know anything thing about it? What about the carry out system that CW sells? Looks simple to use. I am a cable guy and could use some help and advise from the satellite world. thanks.
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
shapeq

I have a tailgaitor from dish on my Cougar 327 with the ladder mount works well as long as you have good southern exposure and no trees blocking the view.
shapeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
mobile42

HP,

I purchase and had the "Winegard-Roadtrip-Minimax" installed at Camping World and currently use Direct TV service from home. When we get ready to leave on a trip, I just pull a receiver (satellite) from our bedroom and install in my RV (327res) and walla! It automatically searches for the satellite and sure beats the carry out system. Just can't park under thick trees though.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-antennas/7794
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
rudythegreat

I have used the Wingard (Camping world) round dish with tri-pod for five years now. I also bought their Sat-Shooter. Easy instructions on the calibration of the Dish. The sight on that little thing came in handy in Prescott AZ due to trees.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
Keeper

If you're unfamiliar with satellite TV, I suggest you do lots of research before you spend big bucks on one of those automatic type dishes.

Are you planning to set up satellite TV at your home? I ask this because most of us who use satellite in our RV's have home service. That way you can bring your home receivers with you on camping trips.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #6
Dam-man

I have the carry out and service from Dish. On initial set up, it took an hour or so get get everything right. We have a receiver and external hard drive that stay in the coach. The hard drive is to record shows and pause live tv. The receiver for the rv is not the same as the one in our house, but that's what the dish people said we had to have. If you use the one from your house you will loose local programming. I can watch local news at home 400 miles away.
Under the tv, there was an issue. There is a cable loop there and you have to switch the cables around until you get your signal to the receiver. Shouldn't be a problem though. The guy from dish I spoke with was pretty good and we figured it out. Now, just have to set the carry out anywhere there is a view of the southern sky. On the ground, tripod, on top of the rv, it don't matter. Just get it somewhere you can put a lock through the handle so you don't loose the spendy part of the system. Set up camp, set the dish out and turn it on. The dish will find itself and your good to go.
Good luck
Old 07-09-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
Jim W

See my post in the for sale section, to see if you are interested.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Lack of HP

satellite system

I took my Cougar to CW today and they are installing the carry out satellite system for me on Wednesday. I think Dam Man it is the same as you purchased without the external hard drive. I purchased the receiver and all there. They said there was a loop at the TV like you said that had to be moved. Can use the receiver on any of the 3 TV's I currently us, just have to move it to that TV. Hope it works that way.

Thanks to all of you who responded, this is a great site, good group and good information. Thanks again. HP
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote