Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Irondog

Broken Frame 5th Wheel

I bought my 2005 sprinter 5th wheel new, and we really like it. The other day we were comming home from vacation from Co. and some were along the way the frame that is connected to the king pin on the trailer broke. I didnt know anything happened until i got up the next morning and went out to unload. I noticed the closit doors were jammed shut. The only thing i can think of, is that the rough roads made it happen. It broke the 8'' tube that holds the king pin in half. The factory say's they want to repair it , but they want me to pay half. I did'nt do anything differant than i have ever done while towing it. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?
Irondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Do a forum search for faulty welds and broken frames on here. I remember a couple of threads about this kind of problem on different brands, but they all use the Lippert frames. Your RV is 7 (almost 8) years old. If Keystone is willing to pay half to repair it, sounds like a good offer, but maybe they are so eager because they know it's been a problem in the past???

Here's a few to get you started:

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthr...ighlight=welds

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthr...ighlight=frame

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthr...ighlight=frame

The Keystone website only lists two recalls for 2005 Sprinter RV's. one for Chrome Wheel Inspection and one for Western Edition Furnace.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Jorme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondog View Post
I bought my 2005 sprinter 5th wheel new, and we really like it. The other day we were comming home from vacation from Co. and some were along the way the frame that is connected to the king pin on the trailer broke. I didnt know anything happened until i got up the next morning and went out to unload. I noticed the closit doors were jammed shut. The only thing i can think of, is that the rough roads made it happen. It broke the 8'' tube that holds the king pin in half. The factory say's they want to repair it , but they want me to pay half. I did'nt do anything differant than i have ever done while towing it. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?
My 2005 sprinter did the same exact thing. At first I thought it was because of my gooseneck adapter I had installed. But now that I read more and more, Im not so sure it isnt just a cheap weak design.

https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l..._1572720_n.jpg
Jorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondog View Post
I have a 2005 sprinter 5th wheel. The frame broke in half at the king pin, Just normal driving. Keystone has called me twice wanting too fix it, but they want me to pay half. I think it is a defective piece of steel, and i don't think i am responsible. Got any suggestions
This came from the "Keystone Owner Beware" thread, it has me thinking. I would be happy to get a 50/50 deal. I will be checking mine out shortly, would like to get a shorter pin box as I have a long bed, I could easly have one about 18" shorter than the current one. Our last 5er it was almost straight down from the frame about 18" back from the nose.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
christopherglenn

After the repair put an air pinbox on it. They just about eliminate the stress spikes from towing that are killing the poor welds on the frames.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
BMcCutcheon

Exclamation

I had that same problem with my last Fifth Wheel from a competitor and they offered me the same deal. I had my attorney call them to discuss and they wound up picking up the entire bill. Just something to think about depending on the cost.
2007 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition Toy Hauler 31KFW
Firestone Air Bags
16K Drawtite Slider Fifthwheel, Superchip Max Tow
https://www.winkflash.com/photo/image...=327676264&z=0
BMcCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
RVUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherglenn View Post
After the repair put an air pinbox on it. They just about eliminate the stress spikes from towing that are killing the poor welds on the frames.
That makes a lot of sense.
RVUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
phillyg

I'm surprised but pleased that Keystone is willing to accept any of the cost for a poorly designed king pin frame mount on a 2005 unit. Based on what I've read about Lippert frame failure, I suspect Keystone knows they have a problem and has stepped up to fix at least some units. Another way to look at it is that Keystone has no way of knowing how you've used your unit since new, and are still willing to pay for part of the out-of-warranty repairs, so good for them.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote