Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2016, 02:03 AM   #1
rbev2308

Power outage sensors

I have been researching to no avail on here for some sort of sensor that can be plugged into my RV electrical outlet and notify me via cellular if either the temp rises or their is a power outage. All I can find online has these tied to a dedicated phone landline which is ok for a house...My concern is we have a 242 lb American Mastiff and all previous camping trips have us away from the camper no more than an hour or so. I have some trips coming up where that could easily be 12 hours out sightseeing but if power were lost or something happens, well we know these campers can heat up to 90+ degrees in no time and this could lead to heat stroke. Has anyone had any experience or can lead me to something.
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:45 AM   #2
jsmith948

Very interested in this. DS and I were recently discussing how we could monitor our pooch when we are away from the camper. Wouldn't it be nice if we could dial a dedicated cell phone that is left in the camper in order to view and listen to what is happening? Hopefully, some of our "techie" members will give us the solution.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:56 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd guess that you're planning a system that will work when connected to shore power (since you are going to run the A/C to keep the trailer cool). Here is one solution: http://www.temperaturealert.com/Wire...tCellular.aspx

I'm sure there are a large number of "other solutions" and even some "work around apps" that would call your phone if "that phone" senses a temp rise, and they may work flawlessly, who knows. The system above has been around a long time and is used commercially to monitor "off site" refrigeration and freezer systems. Possibly $250-400 might seem a bit "pricey", but then again, what's the cost we pay for "comfort".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:06 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd guess that you're planning a system that will work when connected to shore power (since you are going to run the A/C to keep the trailer cool). Here is one solution: http://www.temperaturealert.com/Wire...tCellular.aspx

I'm sure there are a large number of "other solutions" and even some "work around apps" that would call your phone if "that phone" senses a temp rise, and they may work flawlessly, who knows. The system above has been around a long time and is used commercially to monitor "off site" refrigeration and freezer systems. Possibly $250-400 might seem a bit "pricey", but then again, what's the cost we pay for "comfort".....
John thanks for pointing this out. I use a similar product at the hospital and hadn't thought about this kind of application for it. A new world is opening up for us and our German Shepherd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:18 AM   #5
rbev2308

Now after doing some more research, I may have stumbled on to an article that can help....

http://www.woodalls.com/articledetai...icleID=1734409
Old 06-26-2016, 05:25 AM   #6
rbev2308

Now after spending a week researching and then asking for help, I seem to be finding several solutions. This one looks intriguing and is less than $200

http://www.gopetfriendlyblog.com/gad...from-the-heat/