Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2023, 04:40 AM   #1
notanlines

Black bear damage

From Reddit.com
Black bear damage a couple nights ago in Gorges State Park, North
Carolina.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Bear.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	45566  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 05:28 AM   #2
PolarisCobra

Wow - Sorry to see that. I had no idea they would be that persistent. Where you in the camper when it happened? That would be scary for sure.

There must have been a mighty good pic-i-nic basket in there.

Name:   b.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  12.9 KB

I'm guessing your insurance will cover the repairs.?

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2018 Bullet 272 BHS
PolarisCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:14 AM   #3
foldbak

Wow never seen that before. You must have had something good in there. I'll not be camping there lol

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 06:18 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I've watched bears (black and grizzly) tear up stuff and they can be destructive and persistent, but, that bear was after something. I suspect the camper smelled really good to the bear and he REALLY wanted whatever it was.

Camping once and one of the guys left a coleman stove with a skillet sitting on top of it and a coleman ice chest sitting out when we all went to bed. A black bear came that night, knocked the skillet down and licked it until it seemed he would lick through the cast iron, tore the stove apart and licked all through it then banged the ice chest around until it came open, ate the bacon and other stuff then sauntered off leaving a mess. Our flashlights and hollering didn't faze him/her. Figure this one wanted him some bacon too...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:27 AM   #5
notanlines

Please notice I started with “from Reddit.com”
No, it did not happen to me! I would STILL have been running…..
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:32 AM   #6
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

That's a crazy one for sure and another reason why you don't cook in the RV and if you do, have a good working exhaust fan
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:33 AM   #7
PolarisCobra

My wife picked up this spare tire cover for our Camper. Was supposed to be fun and whimsical, lets hope it isn't a prediction of a future event.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bears.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	45568

2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
2018 Bullet 272 BHS
PolarisCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:03 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
That's a crazy one for sure and another reason why you don't cook in the RV and if you do, have a good working exhaust fan
That would not make a bit of difference. If you have or had food in the camper the bears can smell that. Bears often tear the doors off of cars to get inside and folks don't cook in their cars.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:48 PM   #9
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

That was a joke @6 flybouy But still probably better not to bait a bear cooking fish inside your RV...keep it outside
Old 11-03-2023, 08:36 PM   #10
fjr vfr

Eight mile Section of the Blue Ridge Parkway closed due some very stupid people feeding bears and trying to pick up bear cubs. It's amassing how stupid some people are dealing with wild animals. There's often news stories about people making contact with wild animals with bad consequences.
Bears typically avoid us, but when people feed them or leave food out they get accustomed to being around people.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/learn/news/newsreleases.htm
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 02:25 AM   #11
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

These people are indeed stupid/crazy! Bears are smarter than most people..."hey boo boo, lets go smell some RV's" It also appears stupid to camp in bear country in an RV with aluminum siding
Old 11-04-2023, 06:48 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
These people are indeed stupid/crazy! Bears are smarter than most people..."hey boo boo, lets go smell some RV's" It also appears stupid to camp in bear country in an RV with aluminum siding
I would be willing to bet a bear "on a mission" could do just as much if not more damage to a filon sided RV if they were hungry enough. At least an aluminum sided trailer is easier to repair.

We all don't share the same definition of "stupid", maybe a strong word to use?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 06:54 AM   #13
fjr vfr

The problem isn’t so much camping in bear county. Bears normally will avoid our sent. The problems come when they get accustomed to us and lose their normal behavior. That happens when stupid people attract them with their behavior.
Old 11-04-2023, 06:57 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
That happens when stupid people attract them with their behavior.
May ignorant is a better description?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:03 AM   #15
fjr vfr

Ops…maybe I shouldn’t use stupid. How about unthinking people lol
Anyway there are times where it’s not intentional. People do also make mistakes. Like after a night of drinking a few while tending the campfire then being so tired and forgetting something when going to bed
It happens lol
Old 11-04-2023, 07:06 AM   #16
fjr vfr

Ignorant is a good word but sometimes it can be either. Sometimes we just don’t know lol
I’ve seen it both ways
Old 11-04-2023, 07:26 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

The trailer damage occurred at Gorges State Park. The Blue Ridge Parkway closure occurred about 70 miles away from that area and was due to people "feeding the bears and attempting to cuddle bear cubs".....

Both occurred while bears are "feasting to fatten up for winter hibernation" after becoming adapted to having food provided by those "upright walking forest creatures" (humans)....

I'd suspect that most people who hike in Alaska are much better prepared for meeting up with a bear that doesn't see us as a threat, but rather view us as just another meal, a pretty slow, easy to catch meal. Most people don't view black bears as being "dangerous, just like brown or grizzly bears", but they sure are capable of being just as deadly as their larger "cousins".....

Just like the tourists who try to pet bison in Yellowstone or who walk out into the hot springs near north yellowstone or peek over the cliff trying to get a better picture even though the rock ledge they're hanging onto is covered with loose gravel and sand......

Sometimes there's just no rhyme nor reason why people do some of the risky/crazy things they do.... Maybe it's a "hold my beer and watch this" moment, sometimes there may not even be anyone around to impress or to watch them risk peril and death for some unknown reason....

But the fact remains, people do some of the "craziest" or "Stupidest" or "dumbest" or "most assinine" or "just "plain damn dumb stuff"....

The more I read about these "events" the more I understand why truck owner's manuals warn people not to drink the battery acid and why there are "seventy-eleven warning stickers on a 6 foot extension cord"..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:55 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would be willing to bet a bear "on a mission" could do just as much if not more damage to a filon sided RV if they were hungry enough. At least an aluminum sided trailer is easier to repair.

We all don't share the same definition of "stupid", maybe a strong word to use?

A bear's claws are amazingly strong. A grizzly came into a campsite near us in the Grand Tetons. It destroyed the campsite and took a metal sided Coleman ice chest and literally shredded the metal with it's claws. Also saw one in Yellowstone trying to get into a "bear proof" trash container; it was huge. That bear was just raring back and slamming it with both front paws with a ton of force and that thing was rocking. Didn't get it over but it had LOTS of force behind it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:12 AM   #19
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

You're right chuck @12...it sure wasn't the ignorant people cooking fish in bear country in their RV with the exhaust fan on Btw...that was also a joke.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:32 AM   #20
Dallasrules

I had a black bear break in my car one time after a roll of butter rum life savers. He busted out the back drivers side window. Pulled out some stuff that was in his way and just set it aside, climbed in, chewed on my headrest, sat on my emergency break, drooled life saver goo all over and then left the way he came in.

The game warden brought out some huge trap and baited it with something I thought would not be be appealing to a bear. I was thinking this is a smart bear. He is not going in that trap. He didn't.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage