Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2023, 02:23 PM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memark View Post
Been looking to buy a new truck that can haul my 5th wheel better . But can’t seem to get a straight answer from dealer on the actual towing capacity of their Trucks is there a web site that you put the VIN in and it tells you what the towing capacity of that truck is . Any help would be appreciated and helpfull in deciding which truck I will buy. Thanks
So the question no one has asked, what are you currently towing it with?
Your rig is a 2021 Cougar 368MBI which has the following specs;
Length 39'-4"
Dry Weight 11,695#
Payload Capacity 2,285#
GVWR 13,980#
Hitch Weight (Dry) 1,980#
Hitch Weight (WET) 3,215# (estamated 23% GVWR)
So it is long and about mid-weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Sounds like you need a dually. Better to have more truck than less. By the time I had our Fuzion 405 loaded it scaled around 18,500. And if money's not an issue go with a diesel. That extra 500+ ft/lbs of torque over the gas engines makes a BIG difference.
OP doesn't necessarily need a DRW, the right SRW could do, it all depends on how much one adds to the TV, before hooking up the 5th wheel.

This is where it gets interesting, a 14,000# 5th wheel puts you right on the line between a SRW 350/3500 and a DRW 350/3500. You are also on the line between a big gas engine and a diesel.

A big part is how much you add to the truck before you hook up the trailer. It also matters how the truck is powered.

Sourdough (Danny) tows a 14,000# 5th wheel with a 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SWB SB 6.4 4x4 4.10 gears.
He is happy with his combination, within all weights, partly because his gas engine gains him 800# to 1,000# over a diesel engine. It seems that he also packs light based of a previous response.

The there is myself, Rhagfo (Russ) we tow a 12,360# 5th wheel which might weigh a bit over that number. Our hitch weight runs 2,800# +/- and based on our payload sticker and actual scaled weight ready to tow we used 1,411# of payload before hitching up the 5th wheel. Our truck is a 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW LB 4X4 3.73 Cummins diesel. When we were looking we knew what the trailer pin weighed and about what our STUFF weighed.
We were looking at Ram diesel trucks, most of the SRW LB we looked had a payload of about 4,200# so 2,800# + 1,400# = 4,200#, that was just too tight for my liking so we went with a 3500 DRW.
Now I could have gone to the 6.4 Hemi and stayed SRW. I could have cut some of the stuff we carry, NOT, feel we need it all.

If I packed like Danny, I could also gone SRW Diesel and have about 500# of payload left.

Danny hope you are ok that I used your combo as a comparison. It is that we have a lighter trailer, with a heavy pin, and lots of stuff with diesel.

You have heaver trailer, and lighter TV (gas vs Diesel) and pack lighter.

I see it as a great comparison between how the TV is powered, and what you pack can make a big difference.

TO Memark: Do you know your current weights. Trailer pin, and the weight you add to the TV?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:40 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

My trailer dry weight was supposed to be approx. 11,6xx dry weight and a 24xx carrying capacity (memory - 14k gvw). I scale (depending on time) around 13, 3xx. Pin is around 3k. Truck payload is about 4k. My gas engine, with 4.10 and 8 speed, does fine with the load. I would never go heavier and I would never change the drivetrain unless it was to gain more gears, higher rear ratio (4.33 example) or, as I'm considering, a higher output gas engine (Ford Godzilla).
The 368MBI requires a one ton truck. DW really wanted that middle room, I was adamant we would not have it. I had a 3/4 at the time and told her it was not in the running. It's a large mid profile Cougar....it wants some truck to pull it. For OP it also has cooling problems in the middle room so be aware of that.
As far as the truck is concerned with that trailer; a properly equipped 1 ton SRW with gas engine will do fine. A diesel will pull it with less effort but is not needed for enjoyable towing and comes at a premium price that, IMO, needs to be needed/warranted. I will note that I only buy new vehicles and that the cost of the diesel up front (10-11k) is somewhat returned on trade in. Depending on truck, mileage, condition etc. you will see an increased trade in/sales value of the vehicle by approx 40% of the cost of the engine option at 100k (pay 10k for t he option, get a 4k premium at trade in due to the engine option). That is from a dealer that has done this for 30 years +. The choice of engine is your choice, the choice of truck is 1 ton or above.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:13 PM   #23
Memark

Thanks to everyone that has responded it makes a lot more since now I have just one more question I was told that air bags like the air lift 5000would increase my pay load . Is that true or is that ust another sales pitch to sell me something that is not necessary
Memark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 08:40 PM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Thanks to everyone that has responded it makes a lot more since now I have just one more question I was told that air bags like the air lift 5000would increase my pay load . Is that true or is that ust another sales pitch to sell me something that is not necessary
The answer is no! They actually decrease payload by about 30# or so, as that is what they weigh.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 05:22 AM   #25
markcee

Quote:
Airbags, Sumo Springs et.al. do nothing to increase payload capacity. They mask the issue. As mentioned, since payload capacity is vehicle GVWR minus vehicle weight, they actually decrease payload by their weight.

The only poor-man's way to 'increase' payload is to lower the weight of the vehicle...some people remove the tailgate, backseat etc!

or

Spend big bucks to have the vehicle altered and re-certified by an approved NHTSA refitter.

You may have gleaned this by now, but that sticker payload cap was only 'good' when the truck rolled off the line. Anything you or the dealer or another owner added after the fact - a toolbox, running boards, tonneau cover etc., alters that figure. To know for sure exactly how much capacity you have to work with, load up the truck for camping, including all occupants, gear and the hitch and go weigh it at a CAT scale. Subtract this weight from the GVWR on the door pillar. The remainder is what you have available for pin weight.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:00 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
This is the "NOTICE" from the AirLift Installation Guide:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRLIFT INSTALLATION NOTICE.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	44441  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, towing capacity