Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
Hey Louie

LCI 3.O Level Up system

Friends of ours just got a new Cougar travel trailer. I do not know the model but it does state half ton towable on it. It has the LCI 3.0 electric level up system on it. We have can work them twice and both times the system has either had the tires nearly off the ground or completely off the ground. This last time we lifted each side separately and placed some boards under the tires and releveled. I think he is starting with his tongue Jack too high. Is it ok for the trailer to set with the tires off the ground?
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ll be following this thread as I haven’t had any hands on experience with the 3.0 for travel trailers. Ground control 3.0 on fifth wheels will lift tires off the ground to obtain level and I know it’s not an issue with them. I’m thinking it’s all good with the travel trailer system too.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
GHen

I had a similar problem with my 5th wheel. After unhitching I lower the front to near level and then turn on auto level. Always works correctly now.
I understand it is designed to handle the entire weight, but I like to keep some weight on the tires.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Hey Louie

I was surprised when they told me their new TT had auto level. The rear jacks look like the ones on a 5th wheel but the front jacks look like super heavy duty stabilizers.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
Canonman

Dennis,
I believe what the Chuckster said 100%. However, my comfort zone is having all 4 wheels and the 4 leveling jacks on the ground.
Here's what I do if I get to a site that isn't level side to side or front to back or (usually) both:
I use the Camco Tri Leveler under the low side wheels to level side to side. Then use the front landing gear (tongue jack for your buddy) to level front to back. This gets me pretty close. Then I engage the leveling system (auto level). That fine tunes the level for the entire rig. Whole unhook and level process is less than 15 minutes.
I also use the stacking blocks under the landing gear and leveling jacks. Again, raising the low sides as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4052 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	19417  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
Hey Louie

Thanks Canonman, I'll pass your tips on to our friends.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
Javi

Does the 3.0 for travel trailers have 4 jacks or 2 and the tongue jack?
Old 11-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Hey Louie

it has 4. the 2 in the rear are the tube type and the 2 in the front look like heavy duty stabilizers.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Ksupaul

In my experience, yes it will lift tires off the ground depending on how unlevel the site is. I left it that way once and honesty didn’t notice much difference in how stable the TT was compared to wheels on the ground. The tongue too high at start shouldn’t matter, unless the 3.0 need more Hight to level and runs out of travel. If that happens, you will have an error.

That said if I thinks it’s unlevel enough to lift tires completely, I try to put something down and drive up on to level side to side a little closer. Same thing with tongue jack, although more than once the system needed a lower tongue and ran out of travel down because I had too much blocks. I have gotten decent at just eyeballing the site on whether something is needed or not. Usually though, I have luxury of knowing the sites that are pretty level and don’t need it or can go check them out first. Then just push the button and watch her go.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Does the 3.0 for travel trailers have 4 jacks or 2 and the tongue jack?
Javi, I don't know all the ins and outs of the 3.0 leveling system for travel trailers but they must make 2 kinds. I've looked at a lot of trailers where I require self leveling. Seems most trailers from Keystone have the leveling with 4 points (I just watched a video on an Outback that touted a 7 point leveling system?). I stopped at the CW in Tallahassee last spring and asked to see the biggest, nicest, most luxurious travel trailer they had with self leveling....a Jayco Eagle is what they had. The sales guy started telling me all about the leveling system (I sure think the feet that I saw had 3.0 in yellow on the bottom), but, it was a 3 point system; 2 straight down levelers as I recall and he said the 3rd "point" was the jack. I told him that was not top notch nor was it something that could work correctly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

LCI makes the “ground control” electric system and “level up” hydraulic system.

BAL also makes an electric system for travel trailers.

Ground control comes in 4 or 6 jacks, on the fifth wheel system which includes the front landing gear. Level up is a 6 jack system which includes the front landing gear.

I haven’t seen the Ground control or the BAL in person yet so I don’t know the specifics.

If I remember right the Outback uses the BAL system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
maccam1

Hey Louie I have a cougar ht,with auto level,first time I used it ,it lifted the tires,what you need to do after unhooking the tow vehicle,is lower the tounge jack,then system will auto level.
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #13
GHen

I did read my owners manual on the 3.0 and it says it will lower the front to near level and then auto level all. My unit does not seem to handle that task well, so I also lower the front to near level and after that I push auto level. If I don’t and the front is too high it has taken the tires off the ground.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #14
Hey Louie

Tongue too high seems to be the problem. My buddy was stacking 6 bys under the tongue jack. He had a chance to call LCI and they also suggested to put just one 2 by under the jack. He hasn't had a chance to try it but I'm guessing that's the cause based upon your all experiences and what LCI told him. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:59 AM   #15
mazboy

have them watch the LCI video. https://www.lci1.com/ground-control-3#video

Tires can be off the ground but if the ground is level the trailer shouldn't be lifting the tires off the ground.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:20 AM   #16
MarkEHansen

Also, the Ground Control system will attempt to return the hitch coupler to the position it was at when the auto-level program was initiated - to make it easier to hitch up when departing. I've seen some say this feature doesn't work well, but it's worked for me every time (knock on wood ).

It's not that difficult to re-position the tongue after retracting the landing gear, but the feature is there if you choose to use it.
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #17
JackTyniec

We have a 2018 Cougar 32 RLI with LCI 3.0 and have only had a couple of problems while learning how the system works in the beginning. I use a couple of 4 ft. long 2x8 boards to level the trailer from side to side if needed before using the system. I also put a few plastic blocks under each leg to avoid "out of stroke" error. I did have one instance of tires coming off the ground early on but none since using the boards. The Auto Level is very effective and I verify with a hand level.
JackTyniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #18
Phil Saran

On my previous TT’s and my new Cougar 5th wheel trailer I bought a couple of 2” x 8” x 5 foot boards and use them to level side to side then the front jacks to level front to back and the rear jacks are for stability.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
MarkEHansen

I'm curious why everyone seems so concerned with the wheels coming off the ground - some even going so far as to say it's not working correctly. As I understand it, the Ground Control 3.0 can support the weight of the trailer without the wheels touching the ground. In the cases where we have that with our trailer, I've not noticed any issue with the stability of the trailer - still feels rock solid.

Why not just let it do it's thing?

Note: Our system uses electric motors so there is no worry about losing hydraulic pressure and having one or more legs "fail".
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I'm curious why everyone seems so concerned with the wheels coming off the ground - some even going so far as to say it's not working correctly. As I understand it, the Ground Control 3.0 can support the weight of the trailer without the wheels touching the ground. In the cases where we have that with our trailer, I've not noticed any issue with the stability of the trailer - still feels rock solid.

Why not just let it do it's thing?

Note: Our system uses electric motors so there is no worry about losing hydraulic pressure and having one or more legs "fail".
I agree... I actually use the 3.0 Ground Control to jack the trailer up and remove the tires to rotate the tires or pack wheel bearings... a couple of weeks ago I did it to replace all four tires...