Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

CHEV1DUDE,

DUDE: I'm not trying to be mean or flippant with this response, but let's look at some basics for a minute. First of all, you joined this forum on January 13, two days ago. Since then, you've tried to establish yourself as an "expert" in telling all of us that you know more about Keystone RV's and their dealerships than the collective hundreds of years that we have as owners of our Keystone RV's. You've insulted moderators, told service technicians that they have limited knowledge of their business and that you're the expert.

Now, you belittle a senior forum member by telling him that "this forum is not about the auto industry".

Do you realize that in just 6 posts, you've alienated most of the membership and violated many of the forum rules? While that may be your intended purpose, I'd hope that you've just posted about your frustration and want to become a contributing member of the forum rather than projecting the image that you're smarter than us about our RV's. How about joining the group rather than trying to make us all dislike you because of your superiority?

Might I suggest that you'd be better served by reading a little of the forum posts and learning something about US rather than "preaching about how dumb we are because we don't know as much as you" ????

For the record, I received my replacement Kidde fire extinguishers that were recalled, so I'm prepared for your flames.... Let it sink in a bit before you respond, please. But then, I wouldn't expect that, not from someone with your expertise in "all matters Keystone"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #42
CHEV1DUDE
Gone Traveling

Mr. JRTJH
This conversation obviously does not include you, It discusses more that a $15.00 fire extinguisher that someone gave you for silence.
CHEV1DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEV1DUDE View Post
Mr. JRTJH
This conversation obviously does not include you, It discusses more that a $15.00 fire extinguisher that someone gave you for silence.
Like John, I don't want to be flippant or mean.....maybe brutally honest.

You don't know what you're talking about...period and seem unable to comprehend, or listen, to what you are being told. Your statements don't bear out in reality and have been refuted by virtually every person familiar with how RV repairs work.

You stated previously, as fact, that the dealers HAD to perform the warranty work. I asked, since you were privy to that obligation and no one else was, including Keystone or the dealers, to provide the documentation that would prove that. You haven't, and can't. Until then you just sound way out of touch. Now, I assume this conversation doesn't include me....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #44
CHEV1DUDE
Gone Traveling

Reality and helping consumers is what is all about.(That is why these boards are out here)
Yes lets be brutally honest. You guys and gals know how to use the internet or you would not be responding to this frivolous post.

Take some of your internet knowledge and apply it your next RV purchase.
Please read this post from the beginning. It's not about who can service (but yes a dealer will), It's about saving yourself thousands of dollars on your purchase.
If you and these others know anything about the RV industry (please leave the auto industry out that's not what we're talking about)
Do your homework before purchasing,NOT AFTER!

keystone ? Not in the equation. Its all manufactures and dealers.
I am no expert,Don't claim to be (like someone has noted), I just work hard for my money,I'm not giving it away.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #45
CHEV1DUDE
Gone Traveling

Mr. JRTJH
Send your message publicly, Reply to all in the forum.
Don't hide behind the internet private message.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #46
chuckster57
Site Team

I will respond publicly:

The idea that any Keystone dealer MUST work on ANY Keystone unit including ones not purchased at said dealership is FALSE!!
I don’t own a dealership, have worked at 3 different dealerships selling all kinds of RVs not just Keystones and the answer is the same as I stated before. I’m done with this discussion.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #47
madmaxmutt

In the end we purchased in Denver, an hour plus away. I paid 2 grand more than the best prices on the Internet after some haggling. Figuring driving, gas, lodging to go pick it up, I probably broke even.

Thus far, I have not had great luck with the dealer repairs. The selling dealership had the trailer for a scheduled warranty repair. They kept it for two weeks before rolling it in the shop to barely meet our agreed upon time for repair of 5 items.
They solved one problem.
They say they received a defective part for one problem, but didn't want to show me that part.
They did a substandard repair on one problem.
They forgot to order one part.
They (someone expected) said they couldn't do anything about one problem.

So, depending on scoring they are either batting .200 or .250. These were fairly minor issues that they should have done better with.

I am hoping they will finally just get the two parts and hand them to me so I can install them. All future repairs will indeed go to my local shop that couldn't care less where I bought it. The only exception would be some major warranty issue, but I am down to 7 months for that to work anyway.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEV1DUDE View Post
Reality and helping consumers is what is all about.(That is why these boards are out here)
Yes lets be brutally honest. You guys and gals know how to use the internet or you would not be responding to this frivolous post.

Take some of your internet knowledge and apply it your next RV purchase.
Please read this post from the beginning. It's not about who can service (but yes a dealer will), It's about saving yourself thousands of dollars on your purchase.
If you and these others know anything about the RV industry (please leave the auto industry out that's not what we're talking about)
Do your homework before purchasing,NOT AFTER!

keystone ? Not in the equation. Its all manufactures and dealers.
I am no expert,Don't claim to be (like someone has noted), I just work hard for my money,I'm not giving it away.

This will be my last post dealing with your posts on this subject - I would encourage others to do the same.

Please read your post. "reality and helping consumers is what this post is all a about". It would be helpful if your comments were 1) respectful, 2)informational and 3)truthful. So far they have met none of that criteria. We have many new folks that depend on quality information; helpful info to keep them out of trouble. What you put out is opposite of that.

You state "you would not be responding to this frivolous post." Meaning your posts lack seriousness; spoofing. Why?
Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #49
Tbos

FWIW, I bought my first TT from a wholesale dealer. I did save several thousand by doing so. Fortunately, I didn’t need warranty service because the local dealers here in Southern MD will put you at the very back of the list for any service if you don’t buy from them. When I bought my current TT I bought from a local dealer and was able to get a price that was close to the Wholesalers price plus shipping. My dealer is a good hour farther away than the closest Keystone dealer. The close one is busy and choosy enough that they won’t return my calls because I didn’t buy from them. If I stop in and talk with them they will talk and consider giving me an appointment at the back of the line. For now I’ve been sticking with my dealer. At least they call me back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:27 AM   #50
notanlines

From Frymonkeys.com website:
"‘Never wrestle with a pig – the pig enjoys the wrestling and you get dirty.'
When people attack our good work, why do we spend time fighting back when we’ve got so many other priorities? Why do we continue to irritate (sometimes please) them by arguing?"

This seems to fit the situation.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:50 AM   #51
earlzach

Unless I was mislead here is how it was explained to me from my dealer.

Yes, you have a nation wide warranty. Your prioity to service is up to the service center. They have to first be recognized as a reputable service center to work on your brand of trailer. " keystone". Once they have an opportunity to evaluate your problem they then send it off to Keystone for approval of repair. And they are told what the service reimbursement will be. If it is not a justfied value, they don't have to provide the service. But normally if covered, Keystone treats them right. You could still spend half of you summer in their shop because they are under no restrictions of time to get your service done first. This is one reason why some dealers my tell you, if you buy from us it's gives you priority over a walk in customer. These are sales perks offered because they know they don't have to treat the unloyal customers with VIP status. Of you want a strong dealrship relationship, I think it would be best to buy from that dealership. But, that's not a garrentee it will still make everyone happy. The shop and sales are two different entities to a RV dealership.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #52
Ksupaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
From Frymonkeys.com website:
"‘Never wrestle with a pig – the pig enjoys the wrestling and you get dirty.'
When people attack our good work, why do we spend time fighting back when we’ve got so many other priorities? Why do we continue to irritate (sometimes please) them by arguing?"

This seems to fit the situation.
Was looking for my “Don’t feed the Trolls” meme, but realized this isn’t really a meme group! :-)
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #53
Afrnd2all

Simple question. What can I expect if I am 1200 miles from my purchase dealer and need warranty work done on my RV? Am I at the mercy of the nearest dealer?
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #54
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post
Was looking for my “Don’t feed the Trolls” meme, but realized this isn’t really a meme group! :-)
We appropriately meme. Let 'er rip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
Simple question. What can I expect if I am 1200 miles from my purchase dealer and need warranty work done on my RV? Am I at the mercy of the nearest dealer?

Yes you are.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #56
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Yeap you are and do not expect any arm twisting from Keystone. Dealers have the right to turn down warranty work or schedule it so that your rig will spend most of the time in their shop waiting to be worked on. If you are saving enough money may want to consider just paying an independent RV repair shop and OEM parts. ??? when repairs needed
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:40 PM   #57
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This will be my last post dealing with your posts on this subject - I would encourage others to do the same.

Please read your post. "reality and helping consumers is what this post is all a about". It would be helpful if your comments were 1) respectful, 2)informational and 3)truthful. So far they have met none of that criteria. We have many new folks that depend on quality information; helpful info to keep them out of trouble. What you put out is opposite of that.

You state "you would not be responding to this frivolous post." Meaning your posts lack seriousness; spoofing. Why?
I'm only a newbie on these forums, but I have been contributing to a lot of other fora for about 20 years. I have to say that I agree with Sourdough in that the user Chev1Dude should moderate their post language. He/she may not be intending to be rude, but their posts read that way. I would suggest that they re-read their posts and do a little editing before pressing "submit reply".
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:54 AM   #58
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
Been there. In my case (our LED lights were failing quickly, one at a time) - called two dealers, given in the middle of the summer - both said to expect a 6 month wait. I read that as "we don't want to support RVs we didn't sell" - but that's just my interpretation. They didn't deny service..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #59
JRTJH
Site Team

It's been my experience (very limited, fortunately) that when travelling, most dealerships will try to help with catastrophic breakdowns and will offer suggestions for minor irritations. In the case of a broken axle, most will try to get you back on the road, but if you're 1000 miles from home and come in with a list of 5 or 6 minor things like loose trim, burned out bulb, one tail light that's brighter than the other and an off color vent on the lower refrigerator opening, most dealers will tell you they can't help, or they will offer parts for exchange (if in stock) for you to do the work in their parking lot, but most won't put you ahead of their paying customers while you take your family to Disney World for the day. Don't expect that kind of warranty work while travelling.

Where I find most "denial of warranty service" is the local home town dealer who remembers you shopping last summer. When you come in with a "National RV decal" on your new trailer asking for warranty work, most will tell you no or will schedule your work at the bottom of their service. It may be retribution, it may sound mean, but if your shop rate is $150 an hour and Keystone pays $90 an hour for warranty reimbursement, you've got the answer to why most dealers won't absorb a loss in service for some other company to benefit from their loss. In other words, most dealership factor in the probable cost for warranty work in their sales price. They sell units with the expectation that it will "cost them money" to keep the customer happy. They aren't going to give that money to a "non-paying customer" without some careful consideration on how it will benefit them, either in the immediate timeframe or in the future. In other words, they won't do it unless they know it'll be profitable now or when you're ready to buy a new trailer.

Dealers aren't totally corrupt and non-caring, but they aren't in the business to give someone something if there's no expectation that they will make money from the exchange. It's the same with your doctor, your barber, your grocery store and your car wash.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #60
Bisjoe

Fortunately, our dealer is only about an hour (41 miles) away, if needed for warranty work. RV dealers are not as plentiful as car dealers, so you would expect to travel farther, and in our case they are all grouped together in lower rent areas away from Seattle where the cost of the land needed is prohibitive. Both our car and TV are from a dealer about that same distance, and we still go there for service, because we got good deals and they have been honest, and reliable for service. When we were ready to buy our TT, we spent several weekends looking at several brands/models at various dealerships. Once we settled on the Springdale, we found the prices varying from $23k to $13,999. That lowest price was in Yakima, about 2-1/2 hours away, but we bought ours for $14,999 well worth the extra $1,000 to have a closer dealer for service, and also for a shorter tow home.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote