Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
David T. MacNeill

Question Anderson hitch block supposed to turn?

Brand new to fifth wheel hitches so go easy on me, friends. Bought the steel Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Rail Mount for my F-250 Super Duty, as highly recommended by Camping World service tech. Works fine so far, but is the aluminum receiver block supposed to turn freely once mounted to the Montana's kingpin with the two supplied bolts, or should it stay perfectly aligned with the center of the trailer? Mine went a little sideways and I think it's making backing up harder than it needs to be — or maybe it is just my inexperience, not sure yet.

David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
David T. MacNeill

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. MacNeill View Post
Brand new to fifth wheel hitches so go easy on me, friends. Bought the steel Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection Rail Mount for my F-250 Super Duty, as highly recommended by Camping World service tech. Works fine so far, but is the aluminum receiver block supposed to turn freely once mounted to the Montana's kingpin with the two supplied bolts, or should it stay perfectly aligned with the center of the trailer? Mine went a little sideways and I think it's making backing up harder than it needs to be — or maybe it is just my inexperience, not sure yet.

I think I just answered my own question. Found the installation instructions and there are four ¼ hex bolts to pin the block in place, facing forward. CW didn't touch them when they installed the hitch. Bad first service experience. Don't think I'll be going back there.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
Bolo4u

Quote:
I think I just answered my own question. Found the installation instructions and there are four ¼ hex bolts to pin the block in place, facing forward. CW didn't touch them when they installed the hitch. Bad first service experience. Don't think I'll be going back there.
Hopefully, the service manager will be getting a telephone call (or seeing you in person) at 8:01 am tomorrow, to fully express your unhappiness with them improperly installing a CRITICAL component to safely doing your 5r...

Its not like they forgot to put in your shore power cord, like the dealer (not CW) did when I picked mine up and drove home 80+ miles away.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #4
Canonman

First, I really like my Anderson Ultimate. Second, They are great folks to deal with. Last, make sure your installation included the "ball funnel" for the king pin coupler block. CW didn't know what we were talking about when we asked why they hadn't installed the funnel with our hitch. Contacted Anderson and they sent the funnel out and even paid for priority shipping! The funnel makes connecting the hitch to the coupler a real breeze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1580 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	12776  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
David T. MacNeill

I have then red ball funnel and you're right, they really are forgiving.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
Canonman

Can't tell you what a difference the funnel makes. DW had to get me within <.5" or the ball wouldn't settle into the pocket. Now I can do the reconnect myself while she takes the "POOPY" for a walk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2167 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	12777  
Old 05-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Hopefully, the service manager will be getting a telephone call (or seeing you in person) at 8:01 am tomorrow, to fully express your unhappiness with them improperly installing a CRITICAL component to safely doing your 5r...

Its not like they forgot to put in your shore power cord, like the dealer (not CW) did when I picked mine up and drove home 80+ miles away.

^^^^This is exactly right!! For anyone at any RV dealership to leave out critical components of a hitch is a terminating offense in my opinion. It's not an oversight, it's putting you or someone else's lives in jeopardy. If a person doesn't know what they're doing.....they shouldn't be doing it; if they do know but didn't, then they need to hit the road.

As Bolo4u mentioned, you should be in contact with that service manager or GM. If it were me it would be both. When I bought our new TT they set up our WDH etc. including the ball. On the way home I thought the trailer sure pushed and pulled. When I took the trailer off the ball the ball tilted backward with the coupler.....I about flipped. The ball had just been put on the hitch and the nut had been hand screwed down 3 (THREE) threads!! You can't imagine where my type A personality went....except about 10 more levels into the stratosphere. I called the service manager and the GM. I was at the shop the next day with the hitch. I insisted I see the person that attempted to take my life and/or someone elses. They didn't want to so I told them I knew the tech because I had visited with him about the installation and that I was perfectly willing to walk thru their shop to find him. They went and got him and I proceeded to let him know (and his bosses) that he had no business doing what he was doing and that I, directly to his bosses, wanted his termination right then, right there. They wouldn't do it in front of me but they did get rid of him.

All to point out that improper hitch installations are a big thing. Those that put them in should understand that and be held to that level of responsibility. Hopefully they get yours corrected properly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
Canonman

Couldn't agree with Bolo or Sourdough more. I'm sure there are RV technicians who do know and care about what they are doing as a career. And, after my experiences with CW I can tell you for sure there are those "techs" who don't. Let's all work together to help weed out those who obviously need a career change.
Apologizes if I seemed to take the seriousness of the issue lightly.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Couldn't agree with Bolo or Sourdough more. I'm sure there are RV technicians who do know and care about what they are doing as a career. And, after my experiences with CW I can tell you for sure there are those "techs" who don't. Let's all work together to help weed out those who obviously need a career change.
Apologizes if I seemed to take the seriousness of the issue lightly.

No apologies necessary whatsoever. I just wanted to make sure the OP, if possible, expressed to the dealer the potential seriousness of an oversight like that. None of us need to walk out of a dealership trusting their work and have things like that happen. We NEED to be able to trust them.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #10
hdrolling

It might be overkill but every time I pull in for fuel I jump up with the torque wrench and and re check all the bolts on the hitch and the coupler.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
hdrolling

So was this ball funnel suppose to be included? I have the aluminum style and it didn't, I see their about $50 to buy separate.

Without it it takes me and the DW 4-5 tries to get the hitch just right to drop in, even close it won't just pop down onto it.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 05-25-2017, 10:42 PM   #12
David T. MacNeill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
So was this ball funnel suppose to be included? I have the aluminum style and it didn't, I see their about $50 to buy separate
My steel version did come with the red guide installed as part of the package. They had it displayed on their floor model that way and I was expecting it. Works well, so far.

I am going down to CW tomorrow to let them know that, not only did they forget to set the four alignment bolts, they also installed the Anderson base backwards on the rails, according to Anderson's instructions: "For short bed trucks, you will need to install the base with the ball closest to the tailgate." I have an F-250 Super Duty Short Bed.

Hard to find good help anymore.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:24 AM   #13
hdrolling

Quote:
My steel version did come with the red guide installed as part of the package. They had it displayed on their floor model that way and I was expecting it. Works well, so far.
Thanks, I ordered one last night off Amazon Prime so I'll have it Sat., I'm guessing since I've owned mine for two years already that they didn't use to include the funnel. I've never even heard of it until this thread.
Most Anderson threads normally turn into a debate with the traditional fifth wheel hitch crowd so I stopped clicking on them. Glad I decided to see what this one was about!

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 05-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I am going down to CW tomorrow to let them know that, not only did they forget to set the four alignment bolts, they also installed the Anderson base backwards on the rails, according to Anderson's instructions: "For short bed trucks, you will need to install the base with the ball closest to the tailgate." I have an F-250 Super Duty Short Bed.

Hard to find good help anymore.

I'm glad you're going back in. They did you a great disservice by installing the hitch incorrectly. Be sure to emphasize the danger they placed you in and the responsibility that not only the tech, but the dealership, has in making sure something like a hitch is installed properly.

In addition, your hitch/RV might be damaged due to the incorrect installation so check (I would tell them that regardless). Due to the danger they placed you in and the trouble they've caused you I believe I would insist on a $250 CW gift certificate..... If they refuse just tell them you will be happy to discuss the issue with Marcus Lemonis (CEO of CW) and see if he agrees with you (and I believe he will - he's a pretty good guy). I doubt they want to have him investigate the issue. Just some thoughts....... Good luck.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #15
Desert185

Those four allens should be checked occasionally for the proper torque (40#). I do mine at the beginning of the towing season and once during the season, which has been sufficient.

The more involved one becomes with the "nutsy-boltsy" details of the trailering experience, the more one can avoid many of the pitfalls of having someone else do the work. Cliché, but the devil continues to remain with the details. Trust, but verify...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #16
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
It might be overkill but every time I pull in for fuel I jump up with the torque wrench and and re check all the bolts on the hitch and the coupler.
Just wondering if you are finding any of these loose when your checking the bolts?
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #17
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
Just wondering if you are finding any of these loose when your checking the bolts?
Not once yet, I thought I read in the manual or somewhere that it was suppose to be done while traveling?

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 05-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #18
David T. MacNeill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Those four allens should be checked occasionally for the proper torque (40#). I do mine at the beginning of the towing season and once during the season, which has been sufficient.

The more involved one becomes with the "nutsy-boltsy" details of the trailering experience, the more one can avoid many of the pitfalls of having someone else do the work. Cliché, but the devil continues to remain with the details. Trust, but verify...
Couldn't agree more. Fortunately, both things CW did wrong are easily correctable by me with ordinary tools. My wife suggested taking before and after photos and take those to the service manager. To be fair, I don't think their incompetent installation was ever a danger to me, it was just sloppy work by someone who obviously didn't read the instructions completely. It pulled fine, just not as well as it could have. And having the base installed backwards risked damaging my truck cab or trailer cap.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #19
Bolo4u

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Fortunately, both things CW did wrong are easily correctable by me with ordinary tools. My wife suggested taking before and after photos and take those to the service manager. To be fair, I don't think their incompetent installation was ever a danger to me, it was just sloppy work by someone who obviously didn't read the instructions completely. It pulled fine, just not as well as it could have. And having the base installed backwards risked damaging my truck cab or trailer cap.

Nothing ever happens... until it happens.

Thankfully you avoided any issues and caught it early.

You paid them (and I'm guessing it was not cheap) to PROPERLY install your hitch to safely tow your new 5r, and they failed.

How many other coaches did they set up the same day, were ALSO improperly installed???

Your bringing it to their (CW) attention could be the difference between it being caught early (like you) and tragedy (someone who found out to late), because someone didn't have the skill or wherewithal to check their new setup.

Hopefully, they'd reach out to the other purchasers and arrange to inspect their installations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:54 PM   #20
hdrolling

Quote:
To be fair, I don't think their incompetent installation was ever a danger to me, it was just sloppy work by someone who obviously didn't read the instructions completely. It pulled fine, just not as well as it could have.
This issue is when it goes unreported and the same tech gets someone killed by not following directions and sends owners on their way.

My Brother had a Camper world near him install his standard style fifth wheel hitch in the bed of his new truck about a year ago.

It was the style that had four attachment points that the hitch dropped onto in the bed and then the hitch was secured with clips through the attachments.

Long story short, my Brother and his wife and three kids were towing this camper in the NH mountains and kept seeing the front of the trailer move up and down going over the inclines. This was his first camper.

So the camper world had installed the rails, set the hitch onto the point in the rails, and then forgot to put the pins in the attachment points after they hooked up his camper for him.

He called and the tech said "Oh yeah the pins are in your glove box"!

The tech was let go....

That camper could have easily lifted right off the four pins and caused who knows how much damage.

Retired Army, 22yrs

Tags
hitch