Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
rmjc

First time camping and murphy bed broke

We just took our recently purchased 2018 Keystone Bullet on our first camping trip of the season. On night two I heard some pops and on inspection found that several of the hinges that hold the bed "foot board" had popped out screws. I'm going to call my dealer Monday morning but I'm wondering if others have had this issue? It seems like a poor design having part of the bed weight resting on hinges in what is basically decorative wood. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_181648.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	17159   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_181710.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	17160  
rmjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:06 AM   #2
Retired Copper

I know what I would try to do if it was mine; I would fix it so I would not have to worry about it again, but then again I have all the tools to do the job and you may not. Not being able to look at it from front to back to see what clearance I have so assuming you have the room I would get nuts, bolts and washers. Then build a backing plate out of a tin metal piece like a small piece of galvanize so that the bolts would not pull through. It should be an easy fix and probably a lot cheaper and quicker than taking it to a dealer.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
Hodgy

I was looking at my murphy bed yesterday and wondered about those hinges. The "dead bolts" that hold up the bed are crappy also. Looking for a solution for them.

Next job is to use some iron-on wood trim on the footboard of the murphy bed. They just left the raw cut-off particle board showing. You can see it when the bed is down. Two, 3/4" x 3" strips would have fixed the situation.

I am going to have another look at the hinges and just might do what Retired Copper says. On one side that is only particle board and breaks like a saltine cracker. The other side is very thin "plywood".

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
kjadavis

We have had the same problem with screws on the Murphy bed foot board coming out. I have tried bigger diameter screws that worked forvavshirt time
But also popped out. Very frustrating and poor design. We got a piano hinge that would fit and hope it would hold with many more screws. However before I attach I wonder ifvanyone else has tried this and whether it worked. We love the Murphy bed and hope to make it work. If not, bolts and nuts would be next but I worry it would not look nice. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
kjadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
billsr

Not a Murphy bed, but in our 2018 Bullet Premier, a horizontal support rail that holds the plywood decking for the cushions when using the dinette area bed, pulled out because they used staples to hold it to the frame. Luckily we were able to jury rig it for the rest of the week so the bed was usable.
When we got home, we used wood decking screws to attach the rails to the frames around the U-shaped dinette area, so we won't have to worry about them pulling out again.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
shermris

If it's new it would still be under warranty. I call the dealer and make an appointment to have it repaired. If it's a common problem they likely have a fix. We recently had an upper slide pulley pull away from the wall on one corner. The dealer fixed it within 2 days and reported that the mounting was done incorrectly at the factory.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed