Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
harrydog

Level slideout

We just bought a 2018 Cougar 27rks 5th wheel. The large slideout (super slide) feels like it is sloped down in the back left corner. The trailer has automatic leveling system and the rest of the trailer is nice and level but not the slide. When we sit at the dinner table it slopes towards the window. You can feel it and when you are eating all the juices from food run to that side of the plate. Do I need to adjust the table or adjust the slideout? Everything seals up good on the outside of the rig no leaks. If I had to guess I would say it leans around 1/2-1 inch. Has anyone else notice this or have any suggestions?
harrydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Do you have a dinette/bed or a table and chairs? If you have the dinette, remove the cushions from both benches and set your level on the bench base, then set it on the back of the bench and see if that is level. It may just be the table or it may be the slide. If you have the table and chairs, lay a 48" level along the floor of the slide and see if it's level both front to back and side to side.

If the slide seals properly without leaks and the molding is even at the top and bottom on both sides, I'd guess it's not the slide but is the table and an "optical illusion" (or optical delusion)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
maccam1

I had the same problem with my 2011 coachman Catalina 29rks,had problems with the slide it went back to manufacter,had to have work done on it,came back still sloped,I honestly believe the frame was
Bent
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
harrydog

Thanks for the reply. We have table and chairs. I put a level on the floor and it is showing unlevel. The carpet makes it a little hard to get a ture reading. I guess my main question is should the slide be level, and should I be concerned if it less then a inch.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #5
harrydog

Did you do anything to resolve the issues or just live with it?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
maccam1

Lived with it til last year when I purchased by 2018 cougar ht 32rli
Old 04-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

harrydog,

Is the fascia on each side the same distance from the trailer wall at the top and at the bottom on each end of the slide? If so, then the slide is "level" with the trailer sidewall and the floor of the slide may be too low on one side ???? The slide frames are built in a jig, so it "shouldn't" happen, but we all know how human error can play havoc on the best of plans.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
maccam1

Slide looked even,closed up fine,it was just like a sag on the back corner,never any leaks,the only thing,the outside side panel,rubbed and made marks on the back part of the slide
Old 04-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
harrydog

Thanks jrtjh!! I never thought of measuring from the outside that’s a great idea. I will get the measurements and let you know what I found out. Thanks again!!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

You should be able to measure the INSIDE fascia, the wooden molding around the slide that seals against the rubber bulb on the inside of the trailer side wall. There is a small gap between the fascia and the trailer sidewall. It should be close to the same measurement at the top and the bottom on each side of the slide. So, if there's 1/2" at all 4 corners of the fascia, then the slide is fitted to the trailer properly. That would mean the slide is "built crooked". If the slide fascia is not the same measurement (or close) at all 4 corners, (example: 1" at bottom rear, flush at top rear, 1" at bottom front, flush at top front) then I'd suspect that the slide is installed improperly or needs to be adjusted. If your main slide is constructed the same as ours, it is a "ram actuated slide". There is an adjustment procedure to level it on the rams, but if it seals properly and the measurements of the fascia are the same, I'd be reluctant to adjust it and possibly cause it to leak. Better that it seals properly and you can adjust the table top so "juices don't roll to the edge". If you adjust the slide so the table is level and cause the slide to start leaking, you've really not improved anything, at least in my way of looking at it.

Unfortunately, Keystone only covers slide adjustments for the first 90 days of ownership. After that, it's considered maintenance upkeep and is not covered (it's explained in your owner's manual in the exclusions section of the warranty). If the slide is "installed wrong" or "built wrong" then it would probably be covered by warranty for the first year. I'm not sure what kind of hassle you'd have trying to get the dealer and keystone on the same page and accepting responsibility. It's not going to be an easy battle if your trailer is near the end of warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
harrydog

Thanks for all the info very helpful!!
Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 AM   #12
Dave W

Our Montana High Country LR slide also has a slight tilt. The fascia is within an 1/8" of being even top and bottom and the seals are properly set. The cables have been adjusted and it makes no difference - I made the decision that is the way that it was built and that's how it will stay.

Against all advice from the nay sayers, I do use slide supports while we are at our summer site and this does seem to steady things though. I bring them up to just contacting plus another 1/2 turn. No, a tire blowing out wont cause a problem as we have a rear stabilizer, a set of screw jacks in front of each front tire plus the landing gear in front. We don't use the stabilizers when traveling though as you can never be sure of the site ground condition plus who needs that extra set up time for a day or two
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout