Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #21
xrated

I've found the easiest way for me to stay current on the ever changing HCP or CCW laws is with an app that is on my Android phone called "CCW". It's on the Google Play store and it's a free app. I'm guessing they have an Iphone version of it also, but I don't know for sure as I don't own anything Apple. They do seem to stay very current and offer free updates as the laws/reciprocity rules change, so if you use it, just make sure you keep it updated frequently.....lot's easier than buying a book or having to buy a new one every year.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #22
Fishsizzle

30/30 locked under rear seat to dispatch hit animals.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #23
goducks

Always pack. Better safe than sorry. I have a CHL. When in states that I'm not reciprocity to I leave the gun unloaded in a safe under the bed and the ammo in the truck.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #24
Ken / Claudia

Fishsizzle, glad to hear you understand the state law on dispatching wounded animals. Many do not and call 911/state police, some wait until police arrive and the animal just suffers needlessly. Than there are a few who believe police will take a dying animal to a vet to get fixed.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #25
dsttexas

Travelers guide - get it

"The travellers guide to firearm laws of the fifty states" is a comprehensive booklet updated annually for all firearm laws in the 50 states, especially for travellers.

https://books.google.com/books/about...SAAACAAJ&hl=en
dsttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #26
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Fishsizzle, glad to hear you understand the state law on dispatching wounded animals. Many do not and call 911/state police, some wait until police arrive and the animal just suffers needlessly. Than there are a few who believe police will take a dying animal to a vet to get fixed.

Have seen it way to many times. Have watched deer struggle to get up and flee and it broke my heart.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #27
kilmerr1

I have a full time resident 12 gauge and .22 pack rifle in my RV. The shotgun has an eclectic range of shells available for whatever purpose I think I may need. The .22 is there for fun or "what if" purposes. I do personally carry a handgun most of the time but I'm legally carrying it when I do. If I am going somewhere firearms are disallowed I will simply not go there.

kilmerr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #28
fla-gypsy

I carry. I choose not to go places that do not recognize my right to protect my life. I value life and accept there are places I am not welcome.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #29
Auggie Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwiles58 View Post
My son and I were having a discussion the other day about carrying a firearm in the RV. I told him I would post and see what others opinions were on carrying a firearm in the RV and concerns about differing State Laws. What's your opinion, do your carry, or not? Thanks
My opinion is that if you have a firearm in your trailer, then when you truly need it you won't have it, you'll be trying to run into the trailer to get it, leaving your family in the process. Whether it be a bear/criminal/whatever. I also believe that if you're going to carry you should get professional training so that if you ever need it you will have much less chance of doing something illegal and or regrettable or having it taken from you and used on you or your family. It's a very serious responsibility.
Auggie Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Always pack. Better safe than sorry. I have a CHL. When in states that I'm not reciprocity to I leave the gun unloaded in a safe under the bed and the ammo in the truck.
In some states the location of the ammo (in the truck) is sufficient cause to search your trailer and possibly confiscate your weapon. Check the laws of states you're going to travel through, you might be better off with the gun locked in one safe and the ammo locked in another container (inside the trailer).... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #31
bfisher003

Yes, I carry. My Florida CCW is good in 35-36 states, depending on what day it is. I do not always carry on me, but will be in the truck while driving and in the trailer at night. I avoid the Northeast and certain western states like the plague. Besides a pistol I normally have a cased, unloaded .30-30 or 12-gauge in the trailer. They are normally never taken out of their storage place, at least they never have been to date. All depends on where we may be headed. As previously stated, research the firearm laws in states you may be going or passing through and keep it legal.

Last summer we pulled our trailer all the up to Alaska and back; yes, through Canada and the 12-gauge was in the trailer. It's not difficult or illegal if you research and follow the Canadian guidelines, use their Firearms Declaration Form, etc. No handguns and there are restrictions on semi-automatic rifles, etc., but most other normal sporting-type rifles and shotguns are permitted.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #32
tundrwd

As another mentioned – I’d check handgunlaw.us. It’s current, and there’s a forum to ask other users (careful there – but can be informative).

Watch out for apps – I used to use one years ago, and found they simply weren’t keeping current (was 2-3 years behind in a few cases), and were NOT interpreting the law correctly – despite fairly clear language from the state’s AG. I haven’t checked any in the last 3 or so years, but found that even at that time the apps hadn’t changed, and I found discrepancies in just about all of them (or they hadn’t been updated in years). Those little exclusions can land you as being roomies with those you’d rather not be roomies with.

Understand and be careful of “home rule” states, states where pre-emption isn’t state law. Colorado for instance. Denver, Boulder and their counties are “home rule” and have different laws than the rest of the state. In fact, Boulder just passed a city ordinance that would completely outlaw the use and possession of “assault weapons” (i.e. anything that doesn’t look the way they want it to), and would outlaw any magazine over 20 rounds (state law is 15 round limit – but older magazines that you could prove you owned prior to the law going into effect you could keep – that’s no longer the case with the ordinance as written in Boulder).

While I’m sure a book is good material – it’s only published once a year. Not good enough in many cases. For instance – Kansas runs their legislature roughly from early in the year to around April/May (depends on what they get stuck on). Governor signs the law, and it goes into affect July 1. So, a book that comes out in January won’t have data from the legislative session that was voted on in March, and if the governor signs, goes into law in July of the same year. I’m going to assume that many other states will have similar occurrences and a “once-a-year” book is going to leave you without knowledge of a law that goes from paper to practice in 2-3 months.

Handgunlaw.us has pretty up-to-date information, and has data on laws that go into effect, etc. Its also a good site to check on signage. What’s required for vendors, etc. to do – and what your responsibilities are. As another mentioned – in some states signage just indicates the vendor’s preference – its not legally binding – but you do need to be aware of trespass laws, etc. Others – they can put any old thing up anywhere, and you’re responsible for finding it and obeying it.

As far as CCW or not – I’d personally recommend getting CCW license/permit. With reciprocity of many states, that definitely gives you some legal options you simply don’t have without a CCW. With a CCW – you can have the firearm loaded in your vehicle, but without it, most of the time you need to keep the firearm under lock and key in one container, and ammo in another.
Personally, I review the options available, and the vast majority of the time – state/city laws dictate my route. I basically don’t give my business to those who refuse to allow CCW.
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #33
PKraus29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrottop View Post
Just in case you were wondering, it is illegal on both your person and in your RV when travelling into or around Canada.
My understanding is that this is only true for hand guns and does not apply to long guns (as long as the long gun is for hunting).
PKraus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #34
Carrottop

You are correct. I was a little to vague in my response. Handguns and semi automatics and of course fully automatics are not allowed. As stated earlier you can declare your long gun for hunting and bring that through provided you do not have a criminal record.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #35
instymp

Quote:
Originally Posted by instymp View Post
Yes, lawfully, legally.
check the states laws here to get an idea.
Here was the link to http://www.handgunlaw.us/.
Updated often.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #36
Old Camper

Always don't let your guard down!
Says I'm a "junior" member but being doing this for 40 yrs!
Old Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #37
DOWva

Well for the protection of my wife and my life I think i have a right to carry.

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #38
DOWva

As I have posted on another link There is also 9 mm lock systems that works quiet well. I know I should not go there but damn people I am not going to let someone come in and take over. This is my second home

Doug & Diane * Richmond,VA
2014 Keystone Cougar
M-315 High Country 5th Wheel
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 392 Hemi

AirLifts
DOWva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:08 AM   #39
Jimh

I carry a hand gun in my camper. Remember, the police cannot search your camper or you truck without your permission or probable cause. I do have a CCW but I don't advertise I'm carrying. Just use good judgement when traveling with a weapon.
Jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #40
ken56

I am in the group of always carry. In camper, in truck, on person, everywhere I legally can be. The places that deny me my rights I do not go and do not spend my money at. As far as campgrounds prohibiting firearms, I research before I go and read their rules and regs. If I just want an over night while on the road I find a CG on my phone app and call them. I ask if they prohibit firearms because I travel with one. Most say no problem, just don't display it openly outside in the CG, even if they do say they prohibit. They just don't want an issue and discretion is good. Never been turned away because of it. Follow rule #1, always be mindful of where its pointed. Mine is always stored in a holster on the side of the bed pointed DOWNWARD.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote