Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
T11ravis

gas/elect heat

Figured I'd make different threads for different questions. This is my first modern coach/TH/5'er so please bear with me.

Had my thermostat set to "elect. heat" yesterday and it worked fine but when I was outside I heard it kick on and it sure sounded like it was firing up with gas, same sound as the hot water heater.

If that is correct then what is the difference between gas and elect. heat?
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you heard something "fire up", it was most likely the HW heater igniting while on gas/propane. Your HW heater operates either on gas/propane or electricity or it will also operate on both. It is not controlled by the wall thermostat and the water temperature is preset at the factory. Your furnace, however, operates only on propane and; in most cases, the thermostat for it should be set on "Auto". It might also make a clicking sound during the ignition stage - similar to the HW heater firing up while on propane.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
T11ravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Your furnace, however, operates only on propane and; in most cases, the thermostat for it should be set on "Auto".
Glad you said that as this actually is closer to my question. My themostat has 2 different heat settings; elect. and gas. I was surprised as I thought RV's only had gas furnaces, didn't think they had elect. too. I had it set to elect. (and am plugged in) so I'm wondering what the difference is between the two.

Pretty sure it was the furnace that fired up as I was standing right next to it whereas the water heater is on the other side of the trailer.
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I believe that your Raptor has a heat pump that operates with your A/C. That's your electric heat. Gas is your furnace and will provide most heat. As for how to set the thermostat you will have to rely on the instructions that were supplied with your trailer as different thermostats may be used. Keep warm and travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Travis -
Whoops. My bad. I neglected to pay attention to your RV model which, as Hank pointed out, probably has a heat pump which operates on 110V AC. So in your case, you do have the use of both propane and electricity to obtain heat. Your furnace (not your Heat Pump) still runs only on gas.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
T11ravis

Ahhhh....
Totally forgot about the heat strip in the AC, it all makes sense now.

Thanks for the help guys!
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by T11ravis View Post
Ahhhh....
Totally forgot about the heat strip in the AC, it all makes sense now.

Thanks for the help guys!
Travis, It's not the old-fashioned heat strip. It is a heat pump. Basically, the A/C runs backwards and "pumps" heat back into the trailer. ... not effective when outside temps go much below 40°F. But good on chilly fall or spring mornings.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
T11ravis

Interesting, thank you Hank.
I'll have to read up on that.
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
Old 11-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
jbsmith

What was the temp? Below a certain point the heat pump will fire the propane furnace. This is similar to "auxiliary heat" on some household furnaces that will use electric or gas if the heat pump can't reach the temperature set point on its own.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:49 AM   #10
T11ravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
What was the temp? Below a certain point the heat pump will fire the propane furnace. This is similar to "auxiliary heat" on some household furnaces that will use electric or gas if the heat pump can't reach the temperature set point on its own.
There was a 10-12 degree differential when the gas furnace kicked on initially.

I played with it last night, it did exactly what you said. It used the gas to get up to temp and then switched over to elect. to maintain. Pretty cool.
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
Old 11-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
curlyfungirl

Quote:
If you heard something "fire up", it was most likely the HW heater igniting while on gas/propane. Your HW heater operates either on gas/propane or electricity or it will also operate on both. It is not controlled by the wall thermostat and the water temperature is preset at the factory. Your furnace, however, operates only on propane and; in most cases, the thermostat for it should be set on "Auto". It might also make a clicking sound during the ignition stage - similar to the HW heater firing up while on propane.
I need a lii ttle clarification on the heat pump setting how do I get it working . Also, to get the water heater to run on electric, I move the switch on the outside and have the electric button on in the rig?

Thanks
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

If your HW is a Suburban, it probaby has a small, black rocker switch located in the exterior panel which has to be in the "ON" position before it will operate. For us, we don't have any interior switch to turn the HW heater On or Off. Its electrical operation has only the one exterior rocker switch. On other models and years, they have the convenience of an inside switch as well. In your case, it sounds like both the outside and the inside switch would have to be "ON" before the tank will be heated by 110v AC.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
curlyfungirl

Quote:
If your HW is a Suburban, it probaby has a small, black rocker switch located in the exterior panel which has to be in the "ON" position before it will operate. For us, we don't have any interior switch to turn the HW heater On or Off. Its electrical operation has only the one exterior rocker switch. On other models and years, they have the convenience of an inside switch as well. In your case, it sounds like both the outside and the inside switch would have to be "ON" before the tank will be heated by 110v AC.
Thank you with regards to the hot water heater. Got it up and running. How do I get the heat pump going? Do I select the auto mode on the climate control? Are there any othernsteps? Thanks for your help
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote