Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 06:03 AM   #1
RckyMtnDry

Thumbs up Prepping for two week dry camping

Heading out O-dark early this Thursday for two weeks in Routt/Arapaho National Forests. First excursion with new Passport 3220BH. Should be interesting lugging 35' trailer on forest service roads. First thought is to carry chainsaw for beetle kill deadfalls blocking roads. Will be great, no cell service. Do have Ham Radio for emergencies if needed. Will update later.

Happy Camping Folks
RckyMtnDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

That sounds like "quite the adventure" !!! I'd urge you to use extreme caution on those "forest service roads".... Low hanging branches that "slide easily along the rooftop" have a way of catching refrigerator vent stacks, TV antennas and holding tank vent caps with some uncanny regularity.

It only takes a 1/2" limb, broken to get it out of the way, to slice the TPO roof membrane, so be careful. Our Jayco had a galvanized tin roof on it and when we sold it, it still had "battle scars" from our elk hunting trips in Routt NF, up around Dead Mexican Park north of Columbine.

Enjoy, but watch that roof !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #3
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

That sounds fun.

Hauling a 35' trailer is pretty daring... depending on the roads. Just remember, once you start down some roads you are committed... because turning around is not an option.

Backing up on some forestry roads is very difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #4
RckyMtnDry

Familiar with area I will be going. You are correct, low hanging branches, need to avoid those. Probably biggest issue at this date is two creeks I have to forge, may be testing water worthiness of the RV.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
RckyMtnDry

Awesome Points... Plans are to drop Trailer just off main road and drive to camping area which is 11 miles in. At that time will take care of branches/trees on road and any other issues. There are areas to pull off if meeting other vehicles but don't think that will be an issue.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Somewhere on the forum is an account of mine in Mt Zirkle Wilderness Area from "years and years ago".... We were towing a 20' Jayco trailer with a 72 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4. Got on the wrong road, when it got too narrow to keep going, decided to turn around in a "slightly sloping big field". To make a long story short, it took two 4x4's with winches, two block and tackles to get the truck out, then we had to build a "sled system" for the trailer tongue and winched it back "up to the road" (and I do mean "UP" to the road) What I thought was a slight slope turned out to be a "direct path to a thousand foot cliff"....

Enjoy your trip, it'll be awesome, but be careful !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #7
Tbos

Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about your adventure. I hope the two creeks aren't too deep. The underside of your 3320 isn't sealed. Have fun.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by RckyMtnDry View Post
Plans are to drop Trailer just off main road and drive to camping area which is 11 miles in. At that time will take care of branches/trees on road and any other issues. There are areas to pull off if meeting other vehicles but don't think that will be an issue.
Sounds like a "good plan" to me. Have a great time. I'm jealous!

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
RckyMtnDry

This photo was taken close to area I will be camping next couple weeks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	13143 Photo was taken with Theodolite App.