Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
Stercraze

Newbies to the RV world

Just saying hello ! Wife and I just bought our first RV ...Passport 3350BH. We took the girls 10 and 7 and our one year old Golden Retriever to Canyon of the Eagles on Lake Buchanan last weekend. We're pulling that 37 and a half foot beast with a 2015 Cadillac Escalade. So far so good everything went smooth. I'm sure I'll be asking some newbie questions on here with things that pop up ...just wanted to drop a quick line and say hello.
Safe travels,
Rory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170902_145428.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	14069  
Stercraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
busterbrown

Welcome and congrats on your 1st new trailer. Glad everything went well on your first trip.

On a side note, that's one large trailer for an Escalade to pull. I don't remember what the "towing capacity" of that Cadillac is but it's probably similar to my previous TV, a Yukon Denali XL; around 8,000 lbs. (My trailer has a 2K lb lighter GVWR). With a gross vehicle weight ratio of 9500 on your trailer, you'd be severely overloaded when traveling at capacity. Other concerns include the payload of 1/2 ton SUV's as they approach the manufacturer's limits at 1500 lbs. When tongue weight on a 9500 lb trailer approaches 1200 lbs (minimally), you're running the risk of having a catastrophic event due to failures of a severely overloaded TV. And I haven't even mentioned OEM hitch ratings, tire load capacities, axle ratings, and, GCWR yet.

Much goes into a safe towing experience and it all begins at the "helm". GM makes a wonderful 1/2 SUV product; unfortunately it's just not adequate (or safe) to tow a "beast" of a trailer like a 3350.

Secondarily, RV dealers are pushing RV's out quicker than they're making them now and need buyers. The details I've mentioned above aren't something they are well-versed in (or even want to discuss) as their agenda is to sell coaches, not educate potential buyers.

This is a great forum with many knowledgeable members who have "been there, done that". The advice given is from extensive experience and veteran campers. It has been great for me as I've learned so much in the short 2 years I've been on here. Hope it can be a great resource for you too.

Good luck, welcome again, and safe travels.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
notanlines

Buster is the man! What he said is on the money. You're towing a beast with the neighborhood pit bull.
A very nice vehicle but too much trailer.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

First and foremost welcome to the forum. Then,^^^^What busterbrown said. Your vehicle is going to be overloaded.

It is easy to get too much trailer for the vehicle, especially on the first one. With the girls you want to have as much room and "stuff" as possible; and everyone gets giddy and excited when looking at the new trailer - understandable, been there and done that along with countless others. Unfortunately, it required a different tow vehicle to fix. The sales person should have given you more guidance - if they even knew better.

I know it's tough to have someone tell you that a 2015 Escalade won't do the job, but it won't....safely. Just think about those girls and the wife and their safety - it made it easy for me to get a new truck.

As a new person to Rving and towing, you might view this video that was shared several days ago. Not trying to scare you, just giving you something to think about. It gives an example of what can happen to an SUV pulling a larger trailer; along with other possible factors. I (we) just want you and yours to be safe.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy that Passport but as several others have noted you should consider an upgrade to your tow vehicle. Keep a real close watch on the roof seals. Better to have too much Dicor sealant rather than not enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
notanlines

Great video, Danny! And exceedingly apropo!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:11 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Please plan on being here a long time. Be safe and smart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:42 AM   #8
Stercraze

Thank you all

I very much appreciate everybody's knowledge and input on my post.
I agree the Escalade is not an ideal TV however it's rated to pull 8300 pounds. The dry weight of the trailer is 6550 ...we hardly keep anything in it and I don't carry water in the tanks. I have weight distribution bars installed as well as a sway bar.. I don't get above 55 mph. I do have some experience as well ... I have a CDL and used to drive tractor trailers across the country.
In a few weeks were taking it on a trip with six hours of round trip driving so that will be a good test and if I feel unsafe at any point we will definitely consider selling the Escalade and getting a truck.
We definitely don't want to be unsafe. I do appreciate everybody's comments and your knowledge that's why I joined this post. We'll post an update in a few weeks letting you know how it went.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
DAN d

welcome and congrats on new camper enjoy have fun
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
briyoung

Congrats! Thats the model we wanted but dealer didn't want to deal on one. I'll trade straight up for our 2018 2670BH then you won't have to get a bigger tow vehicle lol. Enjoy, we love ours.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck and be safe. If you're not aware, there are several weight limits for a tow vehicle; gvw, gawr, gcwr, payload etc. that will probably come into play before you hit your "tow rating"....which has become more or less a sales gimmick anymore. Look at the numbers on the sticker inside the door, particularly payload. You mention that you will probably be towing the trailer "with hardly nothing", but if you added batteries and propane you added a significant amount of weight; then, kitchenware, pots/pans, coffeemaker, clothes etc.; they all add up quickly and you will probably have hundreds of pounds added....and the longer you have it the more you will accumulate. You will never know actuals unless you hit a scale (very advisable).

You mention you have weight distribution bars "as well as a sway bar". You don't mention what kind it is but you need a VERY good one for that setup. If it is a sway bar that attaches on the side using its own little ball....I've never had much success with those, and with a lot more TV and smaller trailer.

Just look those things over I mentioned and have them in mind while you take your trip. Keep that video in mind as well. When they start wagging they can be hard to stop. Hopefully your OTR experience would help you there if, heaven forbid, something like that starts. If the tail of the trailer EVER moves independently of the direction of the TV you have a problem.

Not trying to be a sour note, just wanting to give you all the info possible to keep you and yours safe. In my case, once knowing all the numbers and the knowledge that I did have occasional sway (and slightly over payload), those numbers played in my head every mile I drove along with visions of what could happen every time the trailer twitched. It drove me crazy. When I got home from our first cross country trip I went straight down and bought a new HD truck. The risk was too high and a new truck wasn't that much in comparison...and the truck I was trading in was virtually new....

Again, I wish you and yours a safe, happy trip; make some memories with those girls - they last a lifetime.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #12
Stercraze

Thank you so much for your info! We do have one battery and 2 propane tanks so yeah that's quite a bit of weight right there... right now we don't have too much in the trailer but like you said we will definitely be accumulating stuff over time.
The sway bar is the one on the side that has its own little ball so I guess it's better than not having one but I will definitely heed your advice after this upcoming trip... if we have any issues at all we will definitely be getting an HD truck as well... I don't want to stress while pulling it.
Again thanks for your info I really appreciate it

Tags
newbie, newbies