Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
KWLKS

Antenna channels not showing pictures and sound

I have a 2017 Montana 3711FL and live in Kansas City, Kansas. My son took the trailer to Brandon, MO for a weekend trip. When he returned I did the channel search for the local channels and everything worked fine. Now when I use the channel scroll buttons, some channels do not show a picture or sound. Does anyone know if this is an antenna issue or would the tv itself be defective? I like the better channel selection but don’t want to invest in a new TV set,
KWLKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Some TV's will, when in SCAN mode, select all channels that have any signal on them. Then, when the SCAN is finished and the TV goes back to "user control", if you scroll through the channels that were "selected by the TV", the ones that have a strong enough digital signal will give you picture/sound, but the ones the TV selected that only had some "carrier wave" during the SCAN will show as a "blue screen"....

I'm don't think all brands of TV do this, but I know my Legend and my Visio both have that "unwanted feature"..... Maybe yours does also ?

Also, if you do a scan then rotate the antenna to get one channel in better, it may cause a weaker signal on some of the other channels.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:05 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I live on the MO side of KC and there are lots of over the air channels in our market. You bring farther west may be picking up some weaker signals from Topeka that aren't strong enough to be accessed clearly. Just like John said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:03 AM   #4
Dave W

Normal for the two TVs in our 5er - the 'big' main Vizio and a little 12v SOB* in the bedroom.

With those weak signals, rotating the antenna may bring additional channels in. I also added a Winegard Wingman and that really helped (https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-W.../dp/B001U2DPUE)

*SOB = Some Other Brand
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
Barbell

With digital signals, you either get a good picure or no picture at all. If you are in a fringe area, quite likely some channels are not strong enough to come in.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
KWLKS

Found the solution to the problem. Somehow the button got pushed when using a cable connection instead of the antenna. Pushed the button and everything is working fine now.
KWLKS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, pictures