Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
Jim-JoanR

Replace one or all tires

We recently discovered the left rear tire on our TT had substantially greater wear than the other rear tire and was worn down to minimum tread depth. We took the TT to an alignment shop which corrected the Toe on the worn tire.

At the very least I now need to replace the worn tire, but after searching these forums I wonder if I should replace all 5 tires. Tires, which are original from the factory, are Trailer King ST225/75R15 113/108L. They have four seasons and 13,000 miles accumulated. Tread wear on both front tires is 1/32 center(8/32 remaining tread) and 3/32 sides. Tread wear on the good rear tire is 2/32 center and 4/32 sides.

Tires have always been inflated to 65 psi and other than the wear on the one rear tire, I have never had any tire problems. I always travel at max 60 mph.

I was originally going to interchange the better rear tire with the spare and buy a new tire to replace the worn rear tire. But now I'm unsure of how best to proceed.

I would appreciate advice on whether to replace one or all of the tires, and which is the best replacement tire. After reading these forums I don't think I want to buy another Trailer King. Carlyle, Maxxis and Goodyear Endurance appear to be the choice of many contributors on the forum.
Jim-JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Trailer tires degrade over time no matter how many miles they have. 4 years is in my opinion getting into the gray zone. There is a “born on “ date stamped on the sidewall. 4 digits- first two are the week and last two are the year. If date code shows 5 years, I’d say your at the time to replace all the tires.

Best brand? Can’t say I have a favorite.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
Canonman

I personally replaced/upgraded our Trailer King original tires to Carlyle HD's after our first season just for peace of mind. There are much better quality tires than Trailer King on the market. IMHO you have lived a charmed life to get the milage you have out of these tires without incident. 4 years is about the life span to expect anyway. Yes, get a new set.
Others will chime in with their personal preferences but any of those you mention would be a good choice. I'd also recommend moving up to a 10 ply load range E while you're at it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5918 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	14290  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
Johnny's Journey

4 season's as in 1 year? Do you know the date code on the tire? If all dates checked out to be good you could put the spare in use and get a new spare.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Your profile indicates that your RV is a 2014 Cougar 27RLSWE. That trailer came with OEM tires in the size you indicated in your first post. They are probably Trailer King Load Range D tires. You stated they have been on your trailer for 4 seasons and 13,000 miles. I take that to mean the tires have been used for camping seasons. Your trailer was probably built in 2013 (the 2014 models were introduced in April 2013) which would mean that the tires were very likely produced in 2012 or early 2013. If that's true, and if your trailer was manufactured during the early part of the production run, then they are all overdue replacement.

Go to any tire manufacturer website and they all state that ST tires should not be replaced based on wear (since most people don't tow enough to wear them out) but rather they should be replaced based on age.

I had the same tires on my 2014 Cougar (purchased in July 2013) and replaced them last year, so I'm of the opinion that you're already living on borrowed time..... I'd suggest you replace them all (and the spare too) before your next tow. WalMart has Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires in 225/75R15 LRE (an upgrade from your present tire) for $67 each. If you don't do anything and have a blowout, your deductible will be about double what the cost of new tires would be. Seems like replacement tires would be a good choice for most people.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Replace them, all of them. Buying new spare tires to rotate on anything, IMO, is just throwing money away. If your trailer is a 2014 running on OEM tires (Trailer King) you aren't living on borrowed time, you're just plain lucky. I bought my trailer new in Feb. 2014, first blowout was March 2016 - 2 years and they looked/were brand new. They are just poorly made tires. Upgraded to Carlisle Radial HD's LRE and haven't had a problem. And, the Carlisle's weighed far more than the Trailer Kings - a lot more.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
Desert185

Buy all five now. Those OEM tires are timed out and are known for poor quality. Carlisle in load range E would be a good upgrade and a great, reliable tire for the money. Get metal stems and think about a TPMS with flow through sensors. You won’t regret any of it.

I’m due for new tires next spring and will buy the Carlisles.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:35 AM   #8
notanlines

"Tires, which are original from the factory, are Trailer King ST225/75R15 113/108L. They have four seasons" I can think of no reason you should not RUN, not walk, to Walmart and buy the $67 tires, all five. I also have opinions on brand and type, but in your case rather than trying to stretch an already unsteady product another two seasons or so just bite the bullet and buy all new. And no, don't pick the best one for a spare.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:09 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

There you go. You asked, we delivered. What are you going to do? Tires degrade approximately 10% in carrying capacity. Your 4+ year old tires may now only be capable of carrying 60% of their original marginal extra carrying capacity from new. Yes, you are very lucky. To quote Clint Eastwood, "so, you feel lucky?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:47 AM   #10
CWtheMan

IMO your tires have already aged out and you’re on borrowed time. I’d replace all of them before my next trip.

There have been great leaps and bounds in ST tire quality since your tires were built. Those manufacturers that have improved tire quality and durability are the ones to look at for replacements. Shop around. Look for new tires that now have Nylon overlays as a standard feature. Some have taken a shot at beefing up the sidewalls with protective inserts much like most LT tires do. Tire compounds and anti-aging chemicals are much improved.

Shop at places that normally stock and have some knowledge about ST tire replacements and fitments.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
Jim-JoanR

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I am heading down to Discount Tire to replace all 5 tires. They carry both the Carlisle HD LRE and Goodyear Endurance ST tires, so will go with one of those.
Jim-JoanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
gearhead

DT will likely be higher that Walmart for the Carlisles unless you get on WalMart.com and print out the WalMart price. Then lean on DT to match it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-JoanR View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advise. I am heading down to Discount Tire to replace all 5 tires. They carry both the Carlisle HD LRE and Goodyear Endurance ST tires, so will go with one of those.
DT will charge you around $98/per tire for the LR E tires, plus mounting/balancing. Wal-Mart has the exact same tire for $67 each- and they usualyl have very new tires, not old ones. Mine were two months old when I got them. I know because I just replaced mine in August.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires