Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #21
warsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrjernigan View Post
Good luck to you. Perhaps we will met on the road someday.
Thanks, I hope so.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #22
warsw

We got a really solid full offer on the house today. Things are starting to happen. If all goes well we will officially be full timers really soon
Old 03-25-2017, 01:43 AM   #23
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsw View Post
We got a really solid full offer on the house today. Things are starting to happen. If all goes well we will officially be full timers really soon
Randy, we're all excited for you! Be sure to keep us up on how things work out.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsw View Post
Good for you! Just keep in mind when you get started that you're not on a 2 week vacation.....just take your time; stop; stay awhile wherever you are; find all the sites and visit them - might be a week or ??; then move on to the next interesting place. That was one of the hardest thing I had to learn when I retired - take my time. I had spent my life trying to see as much as I could as fast as I could it was ingrained in me when we started taking trips after retirement. Now, I won't go anywhere and stay less than 2 weeks and 1-3 months is preferable.

Another thing we've found is just lots of good, nice folks. I pretty much like being by myself (that includes DW and the kids) but we've actually made some very good friends in our travels which I would have thought could not happen initially.....so, good luck and have fun!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #25
warsw

Thanks guys. I really think this is going to work. We are gradually learning to slow down and take the time to smell the roses. We have a lot to learn as far as when, where and why but like sourdough, we are hoping to make a lot of new friends that will help us along until we get it right.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

There is no right or wrong way, just YOUR way!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #27
capnttom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Good luck on whatever you choose to do. From the conversations I've had with some of the full timers which I believe I may have posted in this thread, be sure and try to save a little nest egg back to enable you to purchase a permanent place if and when the time comes.

X2!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
capnttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #28
jmak

When it is time to retire the goal would be to sell the house and full time for hopefully up to 10 years. Then when we are ready to settle back down buy a small house or condo in an area with low cost of living and close to good medical facilities. I don't think I could sell our house in exchange for full time unless I know I still had enough money to buy a house again at a later time.
jmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:03 AM   #29
rrjernigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There is no right or wrong way, just YOUR way!!
Best advice I've seen here.
rrjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #30
mj5150

The wife and I mulled this over for two years while living in the home we bought 20 years ago.
Just last week the sale of our home closed, we had a massive garage sale, and this past Sunday (5/15) was our first night in our toy hauler. We're now full time living in the woods at the edge of a piece of property owned by friends, so no park for us.
We spent more than we wanted to and bought a couple additional items we didn't plan on, but since we'e both fully committed to this, we didn't want to go cheap and dislike it later.
We've been told (by friends who are also full timers) we'll hit a wall in 3-6 months and be asking ourselves why we did this, and we have a plan to make that easier to handle.
There will be challenges as we move ahead, but there are challenges no matter where you live or what you live in.
My wife (50) will be quitting her job in a few months, and I'll (45) be dropping down to part time by the end of the summer.
It was a big, sometimes scary, decision for us, but we feel like it was the right one for our family and our situation.

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #31
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Congrats, you two are still young, go live your life. If you decide to change back you got plenty of time. We all have to do our thing. Just talked to retiree in a campsite across the street from us. Just went full time, they debated holding onto house or getting rid of everything which they ended up doing. Basically if we are going to do it we are fully committed. Have to admit looks like they are having a great time.

ENJOY!!!
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj5150 View Post
The wife and I mulled this over for two years while living in the home we bought 20 years ago.
Just last week the sale of our home closed, we had a massive garage sale, and this past Sunday (5/15) was our first night in our toy hauler. We're now full time living in the woods at the edge of a piece of property owned by friends, so no park for us.
We spent more than we wanted to and bought a couple additional items we didn't plan on, but since we'e both fully committed to this, we didn't want to go cheap and dislike it later.
We've been told (by friends who are also full timers) we'll hit a wall in 3-6 months and be asking ourselves why we did this, and we have a plan to make that easier to handle.
There will be challenges as we move ahead, but there are challenges no matter where you live or what you live in.
My wife (50) will be quitting her job in a few months, and I'll (45) be dropping down to part time by the end of the summer.
It was a big, sometimes scary, decision for us, but we feel like it was the right one for our family and our situation.

-Mike

During life we are faced with many decisions. The best you can do is what you think is right at the time....and you've done that.

Sounds like you have some adventure waiting for you so good luck!!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #33
Tbos

Thinking of going full time.

Quote:

-Mike

If you don't mind fill us in on your plan when you hit the wall you mentioned. We hope to be full timers by this time next year.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #34
mj5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
If you don't mind fill us in on your plan when you hit the wall you mentioned. We hope to be full timers by this time next year.
We planned a vacation and will be staying with friends in their regular home for eight days right around the five month mark.

-Mike
Old 05-27-2017, 07:00 AM   #35
mj5150

Thank you for your concern @sourdough.
I don't see the post I was notified via e-mail about. Did you delete it?

A couple things to clarify. #1 is I'm 45, nearly 46, not 42. #2, we're not looking for a 'good time' by making this decision.
Our toy hauler will sit stationary 100% of the time on a level lot with 50 amp power, well water, Comcast cable, and a permanent sewer hookup.
The wife and I spent two years preparing for this decision. We both have well paying professional jobs that allowed us to pay off every penny of debt we had, except the house. Our vehicles are paid off, we don't own anything more than what we need at this point.
We sold our house last month, used the leftover money to buy our Raptor, and completed our journey by moving in two weeks ago.
We are both passionate about our volunteer work, and with no bills, me working part time to pay living expenses will be just fine.
Could this all crash and burn? It sure can, but so could us living in a 1,500 square foot home with shiny new cars and whatever other luxuries of life we choose to purchase while working our lives away full time.
At this point in our lives, we have positioned ourselves to enjoy our life's passion and now we're mobile if we need to be.
If it doesn't work out, we can both get our jobs back full time and jump in the rat race again.

-Mike
Old 05-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for your concern @sourdough.
I don't see the post I was notified via e-mail about. Did you delete it?

A couple things to clarify. #1 is I'm 45, nearly 46, not 42. #2, we're not looking for a 'good time' by making this decision.
Our toy hauler will sit stationary 100% of the time on a level lot with 50 amp power, well water, Comcast cable, and a permanent sewer hookup.
The wife and I spent two years preparing for this decision. We both have well paying professional jobs that allowed us to pay off every penny of debt we had, except the house. Our vehicles are paid off, we don't own anything more than what we need at this point.
We sold our house last month, used the leftover money to buy our Raptor, and completed our journey by moving in two weeks ago.
We are both passionate about our volunteer work, and with no bills, me working part time to pay living expenses will be just fine.
Could this all crash and burn? It sure can, but so could us living in a 1,500 square foot home with shiny new cars and whatever other luxuries of life we choose to purchase while working our lives away full time.
At this point in our lives, we have positioned ourselves to enjoy our life's passion and now we're mobile if we need to be.
If it doesn't work out, we can both get our jobs back full time and jump in the rat race again.

-Mike

Replied via PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:44 AM   #37
gbsb

We retired in 2011. We sold our house and 15 acres in 2007, moved our 5th wheel into a RV park and worked full time jobs for 4 years. Just wanted to see if we could live in a 38' trailer and still get along. We have been in a camper for 10 years now and still love it, would not go back to a S&B for nothing. It is defiantly not for every one. We still have the 5th wheel but do not use it any more , we bought a lot in a rv park in TX. and it stays there. I did not like pulling that large trailer every where. We used a slide in truck camper for 4 years. Talk about small, but we loved it. I have a few health issues that make it hard to climb steps so this last spring we bought a Travel Trailer. The steps getting into the slide in camper and climbing into bed were hurting me bad. You give up a lot to live this life style but life is what you make it. This is what we both wanted so it is what we do. The are right you can only fish so much or hike or boat. We have volunteered in several state parks, they were great, we have worked in a KOA, it was OK. We even volunteered for Oregon Fish and Wildlife, We are now doing gate guarding for the wind generator farms. Very interesting watching them go up and talking with all the workers. We have done the oil field too and enjoyed it as well, again very interesting watching a well go in. Do we have to work NO do we enjoy getting out and meeting people and learning new things YES. We have worked in TX several places, Oregon a couple of places, and we are in IA now. Life is short enjoy all you can. My father in law died in my arms from a ruptured aorta due to lung cancer. I said right then I was not setting at home waiting to die death was going to have to chase me down and find me .Make your self happy. Sorry for the long post. George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:47 AM   #38
notanlines

George, absolutely no reason to apologize for the long post. If there was there would be a very sorry person in Michigan who posts here regularly!
I liked the part where you said you two work because you WANT to, not because you NEED to. I don't miss work in the least. I was simply tired of being in business for 33 years. Putting a few bucks away every payday with a good brokerage firm helps that along. We gave serious thought to working Yellowstone concessions for a couple years but it just didn't work into our plans.
Your "I was not setting at home waiting to die. Death was going to have to chase me down and find me " hits very close to home. I have always like the "Go somewhere, do something, be somebody" verbiage. We are presently located for a couple months in an RV park in Chetek, Wisconsin. Before the two months are over I will have taken countless kids (and some adults) for a ride in our sidecar, and only Brenda and I actually know that I have as much fun as they do. Life is short.....the Army may have said it best: Be all you can be!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:31 AM   #39
66joej

Jim couldn't agree with you more. I'm 78 Adele 71 we are headed to eastern Canada in a few days for a 6000+km trip. We are both still strong with no health issues. Lost 2 brothers and 2 golf buddies in the last 2 years so as noted in the post above yours the grim reaper with find me still "doing stuff".

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsb View Post
We retired in 2011. We sold our house and 15 acres in 2007, moved our 5th wheel into a RV park and worked full time jobs for 4 years. Just wanted to see if we could live in a 38' trailer and still get along. We have been in a camper for 10 years now and still love it, would not go back to a S&B for nothing. It is defiantly not for every one. We still have the 5th wheel but do not use it any more , we bought a lot in a rv park in TX. and it stays there. I did not like pulling that large trailer every where. We used a slide in truck camper for 4 years. Talk about small, but we loved it. I have a few health issues that make it hard to climb steps so this last spring we bought a Travel Trailer. The steps getting into the slide in camper and climbing into bed were hurting me bad. You give up a lot to live this life style but life is what you make it. This is what we both wanted so it is what we do. The are right you can only fish so much or hike or boat. We have volunteered in several state parks, they were great, we have worked in a KOA, it was OK. We even volunteered for Oregon Fish and Wildlife, We are now doing gate guarding for the wind generator farms. Very interesting watching them go up and talking with all the workers. We have done the oil field too and enjoyed it as well, again very interesting watching a well go in. Do we have to work NO do we enjoy getting out and meeting people and learning new things YES. We have worked in TX several places, Oregon a couple of places, and we are in IA now. Life is short enjoy all you can. My father in law died in my arms from a ruptured aorta due to lung cancer. I said right then I was not setting at home waiting to die death was going to have to chase me down and find me .Make your self happy. Sorry for the long post. George

I agree; no apologies necessary for a "long" post. IMO it wasn't.

If you and your wife are happy and doing things that you both enjoy and keep you happy, then by all means I think that is what a person should do.

We were talking to a little old lady the other day who is ill. She said it was so strange; she knew how old she was, and that her body was deteriorating and she couldn't do stuff like she used to, but, in her mind she still felt like she was 18; she could run, play etc. I told her we were the same way. It always seems strange, and sounds funny, to do or say something a young person would and it comes from an old man/woman. Just to say that no matter our age we can still enjoy what makes us happy.

Like George, I witnessed close friends/family die after they had waited all their lives to finally retire and "live"; only they never were able to do so. My FIL bought what he thought was his ideal traveling vehicle; a new customized van that he and the MIL would travel the country with upon retirement at 65. 3 months prior to 65 he had a stroke which demobilized him. 3 months later (about the time he turned 65) he had another stroke and heart attack and died. They revived him (wrongly) in the ambulance and brought him back to life as a vegetable. They kept him in the hospital for 3 months brain dead and then the MIL had to make the decision to pull the plug - heart rending. And she couldn't even drive the van.

A long story just to say that I believe that you have one go round. When the ring (that which makes you happy) comes by, grab it and swing for all it's worth. Good luck on your journeys.