Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2023, 11:12 AM   #1
dutchmensport

Dirt!

Yep, simple title, "Dirt!"

Some time ago I was able to get the last bit of carpet removed from my fifth wheel. Everything is now linoleum or laminate. Every camper we've had in the past has had carpeting.

It wasn't until we got the last bit of carpeting out of our Montana that I realized how horrid horrible the carpets were (after only 4 years, bought brand new).

Sweeping a non-carpeted floor is so much easier than dragging around a bulky vacuum sweeper. I've commented to may wife many times how much dirt gets swept up with a broom and dust pan now. All that "dirt" had no where else to go except get trapped in carpet, even with the best of vacuum sweepers.

We are currently parked at home. We sleep in the camper every night. It's parked on asphalt. We have a concrete side walk from the house to the drive way. Yet, every 2 days we have to sweep the floors of the camper, and every 2 days we get a pile something like this in the photo below I took just this morning. Imagine all that getting trapped in a carpet. No wonder after a short while the carpets were misserable. I can't imagine how nasty they got in our previous campers.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:01 PM   #2
govols380

Hmm. I've been to 6 or 7 rv shows, and shopped at lots at least that many times, and I can't think of ever having seen one WITH carpet.
govols380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 03:14 AM   #3
heikejohn

That is a LOT of dirt for 2 days.

We have a mat outside the trailer, carpet on the steps & a floormat right by the entrance. That cuts the tracked in dirt down to almost nothing. I do shake out the floormat every day.
(We do have carpet under the dining table & bedroom)
heikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:05 AM   #4
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I think you need to sweep your walkway @1 You defiantly need a jobsite vacuum if you have wall to wall carpeting in your RV...you're picking up a lot more than hair and crumbs as we can see Yes @3, that's where you use carpet...we have the same set up except for the stairs overkill The carpet under the table does feel nice on the feet and the busy beige pattern hides the dirt well
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:10 AM   #5
Max23

Take your shoes off outside, have a rug at the door when you come in, keep that shook out and you should see a significant reduction I would think. We can go out camping in a dirt campsite and not have near that amount inside after 4 or 5 days.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 04:16 AM   #6
spade117

That is about the amount we typically see at the end of trip while packing up.