Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2023, 07:27 PM   #1
Old Mustanger

Which brand to replace G rated tires?

My Sailun ST235/85R/16G tires have aged out and showing a lot of wear, I was looking on line today for where to get new Sailuns or Hercules and found that Walmart actually carries Carlisle in this size.

I always thought of Carlisle as making a dependable tire in smaller sizes but was unaware they made these 14 ply monsters.

Any thoughts as to which of the 3 brands may be the better investment?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 12:45 AM   #2
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
My Sailun ST235/85R/16G tires have aged out and showing a lot of wear, I was looking on line today for where to get new Sailuns or Hercules and found that Walmart actually carries Carlisle in this size.

I always thought of Carlisle as making a dependable tire in smaller sizes but was unaware they made these 14 ply monsters.

All I can say is that Saliun's have never left me down on different 5vers and it seems like they did the job for you. The Old Adage "if it ain't Broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.
Also if you have a Mavis Tire near you they usually have good prices on the Saliuns.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 03:59 AM   #3
xrated

I bought 6 new Sailun S637s (235/85R16) around the 1st of July this year from Walmart online. They were $142/each plus tax. The load capacity of that tire is 4400 lbs.....about 300 more than the 235/80R/16 (which were not on sale). Since I don't trust Walmart to do the mounting/balancing, I took them to my local tire dealer and had that done. Total price, for everything was $1142.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 05:46 AM   #4
ChuckS

Hercules and Sailun are excellent .. I would also not have an issue with Carisile 14 ply ..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 06:03 AM   #5
TXiceman

I ran Goodyear G614 tires the last 5 years on my 3 axle trailer. Never a problem. Pricey, yes, but no problems.

Ken
Old 09-03-2023, 07:38 PM   #6
Old Mustanger

Thanks for the replies, I'm probably going to shop price and then make a decision.
I also have to find a tire shop that will mount and balance them, the one I used for the last set was not to thrilled with the amount of work the 14ply tires took.
I'll let y'all know, might be a little while, we are not planning any trips for now as we have a new granddaughter on her way soon.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 09-04-2023, 01:32 AM   #7
RickV

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I'm probably going to shop price and then make a decision.
I also have to find a tire shop that will mount and balance them, the one I used for the last set was not to thrilled with the amount of work the 14ply tires took.
I'll let y'all know, might be a little while, we are not planning any trips for now as we have a new granddaughter on her way soon.
While Discount Tire does not sale Saliuns not sure about the others discussed you may be able to do what I did with my dually tires see post 8 in this thread https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...050#post546050

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 07:39 PM   #8
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
While Discount Tire does not sale Saliuns not sure about the others discussed you may be able to do what I did with my dually tires see post 8 in this thread https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...050#post546050
Actually I had checked Discount tire before I got the current set of Sailuns, at that time they were handling the Hercules but I looked at them on line the other day and nothing came up for the ST235/8516G. I think I'll stop looking on line and start making phone calls.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 09-05-2023, 05:37 AM   #9
Raptor Dave

We've been happy with Sailuns in the past also.
Give "Simple tire" a look on line.
Used them several times for different applications.
They ship to a local tire shop so you don't have to handle the tires and their installation fees are reasonable.

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 08:03 AM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I ran Goodyear G614 tires the last 5 years on my 3 axle trailer. Never a problem. Pricey, yes, but no problems.

Ken
On the 5er listed in my signature GY 614s came on it from the factory. After 4-5 years & 40-50k miles they needed replaced.
I found a deal online, actually it was Performance Trailer Braking that did my disc brakes, for 4 -17.5" H rated Sailun tires mounted on new aluminum wheels for less than the replacement price of 3 of the GY 614s, it was a no brainer, so I would agree the GYs are a bit pricey. The PTB crew put them on once they completed the disc brake upgrade. Both the brakes & Sailuns was the best upgrade I ever spent $$ on.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 10:36 AM   #11
TXiceman

travelin Texas, I ran the G614s on my three axle 19,000 LB trailer for 5 years and wear was normal and still decent tires when I sold it. The first set of tires on the trailer was Hankook F19 MaxiVantage G rated and never seconds trouble from them.

I went with GY on the next set due to the GY warranty.

Ken
Old 09-10-2023, 08:27 AM   #12
Mikelff

Quote:

I needed a new spare and bought a Carlisle at Discount tire. They were competitive with Sailin pricing at the time. They mounted for free. From my research Carlisle makes a good tire compatible to Sailin. I have Sailin on my rig now. Discount tire mounted them for me but charged me to do it which was fine since I didn’t buy the tires from them. Next set of tires I may try the Carlisle. I’ll Make that decision at that time.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 02:20 PM   #13
MattE303

out of curiosity, how many years do you have on the Sailuns to consider them "aged out"? I'm on 6 years with mine and wondering if I should replace them. I know most people say 5 years (or something close to that) for trailer tires, but mine look brand new, no drying or cracking, no real signs of wear or damage. I keep them covered, trailer is parked under cover at home, and haven't put a ton of miles on 'em. Would like to get one more year.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:26 PM   #14
Old Mustanger

5 years by the sidewall date code. I've only been running them 4 years (another reason I won't go back to where I purchased them, big argument when I pointed out that they were already a year old). besides aging out they got a good many miles on them and are showing wear, one of them especially, I'm going to have my axles checked, may have a bent spindle.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 09-12-2023, 02:09 PM   #15
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Just want to thank all who posted on this thread. I just purchased our first Montana and truthfully thought I would be immediately replacing the Sailuns as we extensively travel.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease regarding the Sailun tires, I honestly thought 'OMG' "maypops" when I first saw them mounted on our 5er.

Thanks again, be well and safe travels.
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:20 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vacation View Post
Just want to thank all who posted on this thread. I just purchased our first Montana and truthfully thought I would be immediately replacing the Sailuns as we extensively travel.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease regarding the Sailun tires, I honestly thought 'OMG' "maypops" when I first saw them mounted on our 5er.

Thanks again, be well and safe travels.

Did you buy the Montana new? I'm thinking they started putting the Sailuns on them??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:30 AM   #17
pawpaw

[QUOTE=RV Vacation;546693]Just want to thank all who posted on this thread. I just purchased our first Montana and truthfully thought I would be immediately replacing the Sailuns as we extensively travel.

Thanks again, be well and safe travels.[/QUOTE

Had Sailun's on our 2015 Fuzion...great tires even though the made in China made me think otherwise.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:34 AM   #18
Kzneft

I love my Sailuns. I got mine at Big-O-tires.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:17 AM   #19
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Did you buy the Montana new? I'm thinking they started putting the Sailuns on them??

Hello and congratulations on your marriage, my wife and I are approaching 50 years together, the past 5 full time RVing. Mercy, will miracles never cease?

Yes we just purchased our Montana 3901RK and just three weeks ago. So far so good. Sooooo much more comfortable than our MoHo. Howeverrrr, not new to RVs, we do expect some 'hiccups' as we continue our full time RV living.

I do admit, seeing Sailun tires installed on our Montana had me thinking about the purchase. Of course the rear kitchen overrode my tire fears by a vote of 1 to nothing as my wife exercised her veto powers.

Even though I know I can have the Sailuns' replaced at my convivence, I do appreciate the comments posted and so I shall give the tires a chance on our upcoming 4200 mile adventure.

Be well and safe travels.

John
Old 09-13-2023, 07:28 AM   #20
RV Vacation
Gone Traveling

Thank you for taking the time and letting me know your experience with Sailun Tires. I have decided to leave those on our Montana and give them a 4000 mile road test this coming October.

We hope to be passing through Louisiana at the finish of our trip by Octobers end. Beautiful country.

Be well and safe travels.

Tags
tires