Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

Biggest upgrade of them all!

OK so maybe it isn't that big, BUT it is to me.
After spending this last week-end at the State Park in Ridgway CO. I declared I could not stand it anymore.

Man deserves a better rest than the Mattress that comes with his RV purchase!
I called my neighbor(who lives two miles down the county road) and he graciously agreed to come up and help me wrestle a mattress out of my basement and into the RV.
We are leaving for a week long camping trip next Tuesday to the German Shepherd National Dog Show and I could not bear the idea of spending that much time on THAT mattress.

This is a win for ALL Mankind!
Well maybe that IS overstating it but I sure will sleep better!
This upgrade should be on everyone's list. Might even be better if the RV came with no mattress so that you could start fresh.
Thanks for letting me vent
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
OK so maybe it isn't that big, BUT it is to me.
After spending this last week-end at the State Park in Ridgway CO. I declared I could not stand it anymore.

Man deserves a better rest than the Mattress that comes with his RV purchase!
I called my neighbor(who lives two miles down the county road) and he graciously agreed to come up and help me wrestle a mattress out of my basement and into the RV.
We are leaving for a week long camping trip next Tuesday to the German Shepherd National Dog Show and I could not bear the idea of spending that much time on THAT mattress.

This is a win for ALL Mankind!
Well maybe that IS overstating it but I sure will sleep better!
This upgrade should be on everyone's list. Might even be better if the RV came with no mattress so that you could start fresh.
Thanks for letting me vent
Oak
The RV mattress was invented during the Spanish Inquisition as a means of torture. It is the second most important mod to a trailer IF your trailer was equipped with the original Thetford Aqua Magic bucket installed on older Cougars. Actually I replace our RV mattress and the Aqua Magic on day one of owning the trailer. Long live the 312 porcelin throne!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The RV mattress was invented during the Spanish Inquisition as a means of torture. It is the second most important mod to a trailer IF your trailer was equipped with the original Thetford Aqua Magic bucket installed on older Cougars. Actually I replace our RV mattress and the Aqua Magic on day one of owning the trailer. Long live the 312 porcelin throne!

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR

Old 09-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Gegrad

Yeah, we pulled our RV mattress out after the first trip or two we made and replaced it with an extra pillow top queen from out house. What a difference.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

We added a 4” gel infused memory foam topper to our mattress.....it actually is more comfortable than our sleep number bed at home.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #6
BulletOwner1

Absolutely one of the best things to upgrade in any RV. We bought a 32' motor home we intended to full time in and upgraded it. What a difference. If you spend more than just a weekend here and there it's a must. Upgraded our current TT as we spend several months a year in it.

If you don't have a spare in the house I think all mattress stores can at least get a short (RV) size mattress and some even have them in stock for fairly reasonable prices.

We also upgraded the phony couch that pulls out into a torture device loosely called hide a bed. Went straight to a love seat from a real furniture store. Another great upgrade.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
atkinsb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
Absolutely one of the best things to upgrade in any RV. We bought a 32' motor home we intended to full time in and upgraded it. What a difference. If you spend more than just a weekend here and there it's a must. Upgraded our current TT as we spend several months a year in it.

If you don't have a spare in the house I think all mattress stores can at least get a short (RV) size mattress and some even have them in stock for fairly reasonable prices.

We also upgraded the phony couch that pulls out into a torture device loosely called hide a bed. Went straight to a love seat from a real furniture store. Another great upgrade.
Already took care of the mattress (it went very quickly) but now looking at changing out the couch/hide a bed and wrap around dinette. Was thinking a futon for the couch but now thinking about a reclining love seat and going with a free standing dinette in place of the wrap around dinette. Just need to do some measuring. Neither of the original pieces are anywhere near comfortable.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
Steve's 70-5

Took a mattress out of the guest bed room and put it in the TT. Put the TT mattress in the guest bedroom. I feel sorry for the guest that will sleep on it
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
newemptynester

First thing we did when we got our new TT home was pull the old mattress out and went and bought the same mattress that is on our bed at home and replaced it. Our old TT we bought a topper and used that but we wanted our new Cabin On Wheels to have a great mattress.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #10
vando45

I must be the exception. The residential queen mattress on our 2015 Sprinter Campfire Edition is a little firm, but pretty comfortable. I sleep really well on it.
vando45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
Crookedread

Here’s my theory!

I remember the first night in my new trailer many years ago. I was so excited I could hardly wait. That was one long and painful night that I won’t soon forget! Passing kidney stones is a breeze compared to sleeping on that mattress!! The next day I drove to a Costco, bought a mattress and love sleeping in the trailer every night.

So here’s my theory. I’m sure you have been to a baseball game and seen the umpire call for the ball. He looks it over and decides the ball is beyond further use in the game and puts it in his bag on his hip. That’s not really what is happening at all. Umpires do not like to be booed and they are fairly vindictive!! When you boo him he inspects the ball, chuckles to himself and thinks “Here’s another ball to sew into some poor schmucks mattress!”
Crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:28 AM   #12
Hideout Queen

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by newemptynester View Post
First thing we did when we got our new TT home was pull the old mattress out and went and bought the same mattress that is on our bed at home and replaced it. Our old TT we bought a topper and used that but we wanted our new Cabin On Wheels to have a great mattress.
Our mattress is awful! So is the pull out sofa's in the living area. Does a regular queen size fit in the camper? I would be afraid that it would be too long. We have a tight size bedroom (no slide outs).

Cindy
Hideout Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout Queen View Post
Our mattress is awful! So is the pull out sofa's in the living area. Does a regular queen size fit in the camper? I would be afraid that it would be too long. We have a tight size bedroom (no slide outs).

Cindy
One "consistent rule" about RV mattresses is that "They are never consistent"... There are two "most popular" sizes of queen mattresses in RV's. They are "home size 60x80" and "RV size 60x72-74-75". Then there's RV queen size mattresses with "curved ends" some with "curved on one side only" and now the move to "RV King Size beds"... Really? Are they California King, Standard King, RV king or some other "king size" ???

With all the "consistently inconsistent sizes" your only means to know is to measure your mattress, Length, Width AND Thickness. Don't forget to consider weight, especially if you have gas or spring loaded "helpers" to access any underbed storage areas....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #14
daveinaz

I agree. If you spend any time in your RV, upgrading the mattress is the best thing you can do! Every stock mattress I’ve seen is junk.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout Queen View Post

Cindy

As John noted you need to measure the mattress simply because the RV world seemingly dreams up "new sized" of mattresses on a whim.

We've got members that have had custom foam mattresses made, sleep by number and any number of other things based on just how creative you get and what you want in a mattress. A search would bring up lots of different solutions. Some like toppers; we don't.

If you have struts to support your current mattress keep that in mind when looking for a new one because the struts are designed to support a specific weight. If you overload it they won't hold it up or you will have to replace them. Most have the rating stamped/printed on the side.

Our mattress was a normal residential queen (measured) on this trailer so mattress replacement was a breeze. Weight was a consideration and I was willing to replace the struts but happened to find a really nice mattress that sleeps wonderfully and the struts still work (not as well as before but they work). Others before had oddball sizes, cut corners etc. Now THEY were fun to deal with.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
cag

Normal size beds only

First rule I had when buying an RV was that it HAD TO HAVE A NORMAL bed. Some RV Makers only make short bed models, I didn't even look at them. I left the RV mattress with the dealer and put in a sleep number bed that I had from my truck camper (full size queen). Next I went and found a zero clearance adjustable bed frame. Now I still need to install the frame but it should fit fine. Only weighs about 100 lbs, it is a slide so watch the weight.

Next is to change the storage under the bed to a pullout drawer so I can still access it. When looking for the RV (Montana HC 320MK) I did run across another make with a pullout storage on the bed that you could sit on. Now to find that so I can duplicate it...
cag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #17
LewisB

I guess we are lucky. Our 2018 Raptor with "King" bed is actually quite comfortable...NOW.

It is roughly 72"W x 76"L. It appears they just used a larger mattress on a queen sized base. When we purchased it, I sat on the edge of the bed and proceeded to immediately slide down to the floor. The base was nearly 10" shorter all the way around than the mattress. Both the DW and I felt like we were constantly "about to fall out of bed"! So I glued/screwed some plywood extensions on to the base making it only 2" shorter than the mattress. Now it is quite comfortable. We like firm - the mattress wasn't bad, just the base. As John pointed out, this makes the hydraulic lift rams a bit undersized, but we don't often get under the bed. I figure I'll just cut a 1" prop stick for it some day.

Anyway, comfy is good - whatever it takes!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
German Shepherd Guy

"Don't forget to consider weight, especially if you have gas or spring loaded "helpers" to access any underbed storage areas.... __________________
John"

Boy was John right about that. Too bad I read his post AFTER I made the change. So on our TT there is no "helper" to access the underside of the mattress storage. Soooo I built a stick with a notch on it and when I would raise the mattress/board up it would slip into place and all was well.
But I forgot the new replacement mattress is thicker and HEAVIER. So first time I tried that the stick came crashing through the side of the bed frame, conveniently made of micro-thin plywood.
No good deed goes unpunished.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR

Old 10-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #19
PDMarlowe

We had the dealer pull the original mattress out and put it in their dumpster so I didn't have to worry about getting rid of it later.
PDMarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #20
Karyn Felt

We were lucky when we bought our TT - it already had the memory foam topper on the mattress so never got to experience the opportunity of sleeping on it. We love the topper!
Karyn Felt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade