Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 11-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
cavediver

TSD Logistics Fuel Program

Has anyone used the TDS logistics fuel program? They seem to have a sizeable diesel fuel discount at places like Love's, Petro, and other big dealer's.

cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Few (probably NO) things in life are "free".

From what I've learned about the TSD fuel discount program, there are some "considerations" that make it OK for some, not OK for others.

Consider that it's only available at "commercial fuel outlets" (truck stops, commercial refueling centers, etc).

Typcially, the "per gallon price" of diesel at those outlets is significantly more expensive than the "Exxon station" across the street. As an example, Love's truck stop near here is $3.599/gallon for diesel, WalMart is $2.969 (with a 3 cent discount if you use a prepaid WalMart card, it's $2.939/gallon. That means WalMart is 66 cents a gallon cheaper than Love's...

If the TSD discount is 50 cents a gallon and they charge you a 10% fee, then the actual "cost to you" is 3.599-.50+.05= 3.149/gallon. That's still 21 cents/gallon MORE than WalMart.

This type "program" works for truckers. You simply can't get an 18 wheeler with a 53' trailer into the diesel pumps at WalMart or at the local Exxon station. This type "discount program" is targeted for "LARGE vehicles" and needs volume purchases to be effective. They are opening it up for RV'ers to increase that volume. I'd suspect it's a great program for those with large vehicles that can't access "tightly located pumps" but an expensive option for those who can fuel their pickup at the local "cheaper price/gallon" station.

So, look at the "fine print" on the TSD program. It may work for some, not so much for others.....

I always say, "The BIG print giveth and the small print taketh away." READ THE SMALL PRINT !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
Canonman

Always wondered why the Flying J, Pilot and Love's diesel prices were so much higher than the other stations. I just figured they had a captive audience with the truckers. I try and use Gas Buddy to get around the excessive diesel costs at the freeway truck stops. We've had some interesting adventures getting the Cougar in and out of several of these "local" stations. So far no mishaps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-8154-2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	24232  
"Ok smart guy; Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections? "
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
Customer1

I signed up a couple weeks ago and got my card earlier this week. I haven't used it yet.

My primary focus is NOT the discount. I already have a credit card that gives me a 4% reward at any station. At a price of $3 per gallon that is a savings of 12 cents on each gallon. I'm also a life member of Good Sam which saves me another 8 cents at Pilot/Flying J. Both combined is 20 cents per gallon.

What I wanted is the convenience of a fleet card. I can pull up to the truck pumps, swipe my card, fill and git. Easy peasy. Previously I had to pull up to the pump, take a hike inside with my credit card, walk back to the truck, pump fuel, pull forward clear of the pump, take that long hike back into the station, sign my sales slip, walk back to the truck and finally leave. Convenience is the goal, the discount is a bonus.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It's my understanding they want your banking account information (so they can deduct the charges as they occur AND the part that concerns me most, they want your SSAN. They say it's so they can pursue collections in the event of a banking problem.... Maybe it's completely legitimate ??

If I were to make an application, I think I'd establish a separate account at my bank and only keep an appropriate amount of money in that account. My biggest concern, though, is giving a "discount card" my financial info and SSAN..... Maybe I'm just too cautious? Maybe not... IDK...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:20 AM   #6
cavediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's my understanding they want your banking account information (so they can deduct the charges as they occur AND the part that concerns me most, they want your SSAN. They say it's so they can pursue collections in the event of a banking problem.... Maybe it's completely legitimate ??

If I were to make an application, I think I'd establish a separate account at my bank and only keep an appropriate amount of money in that account. My biggest concern, though, is giving a "discount card" my financial info and SSAN..... Maybe I'm just too cautious? Maybe not... IDK...
These are my concerns also. That's why I started this post. I can carry 62 gallons of fuel, the large stops are a convenience, but I usually can find fuel much cheaper. Along I-75 in Chattanooga exit 11 has the cheapest fuel I've seen.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
Customer1

It isn't complicated, it is a debit card. Betcha you all have a debit card already and I'll bet you gave the issuer your SS number.

Since you all are smart people, proven by the fact that you are RVers, you froze your credit years ago. Right? My credit has been frozen for years, even I can't get a loan unless I thaw my credit first so my SS number is worthless to anyone.

Tags
fuel