Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Morning From a Keystone "Newbie"

Good Morning. We just bought a 2011 Springdale 242 5TH wheel. We've been RV'ing since 1972, started in a VW camper while in the Air Force. As we travelled with Uncle Sam, we went the PU/camper route, Pop-up camper route, small travel trailer route. When we retired from the AF, bought a 34' Holiday Rambler TT and a new Ford F250 diesel. Really enjoyed that, but lifestyle changes and job changes led us out of the RV lifestyle for a few years. On retirement, we bought a new bass boat and a Ranger PU. Put a small popup camper on it. Then, this year, decided to upgrade a bit. Bought a new F150 and the Springdale to get back into travelling with a bit more "comfort" So far, it seems to be the right choice, however we haven't had the weather to get out much. Snow is finally melting, the cover comes off the 5'er this week or next and some quick "during the week" trips around Northern Michigan to try things out, then come summer, "LOOK OUT" You'll see us no telling where LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, "it is a good morning" and welcome to the forum. Many of us have distant and fond memories of the VW camper days and are now enjoying the comforts of RVing in something a "bit larger".
Like you, there are many of us who are still waiting for warmer weather so we can get away. Hope you have many miles of trouble-free and enjoyable camping in your new RV.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Oh how true the "fond" memories of the VDub are.... It was great while just the two of us, but then along came a little girl and her "had to have puppy". When they were both less than a year old, we spent 3 TERRIBLE days in Southern California at a Ghost Town. Would have been a "wunnerful" trip except that it rained the entire time.... Who'd a thunk it rains in the high desert LOL

The next week, we bought the PU/Harvest camper and thought we were in heaven!!!!! Ya know, kinda felt the same way when we got rained out in the Ranger/Sunlite camper last summer...... Hmmmmmm I wonder if that's what subliminally got us looking into a bigger unit????? LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Flyguy

Welcome to the forum! I have noticed quite a few Springdale owners here, just traded for ours last January (our first 5ver). We haven't had the chance yet to camp in it other than on the dealer's lot.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I appreicate your welcome comments. I see you tow about the same weight 5er as I do. How does your Toyota handle the weight? Any problems (other than the "hypervigilence" that all new towers have? I was super alert for all the things that "could go wrong" on the way home from the dealer's lot, fortunately none of them happened and my F150 did just fine.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Flyguy

Our Tundra did just fine towing it, the pin weight was what concerned me most. The 2005 249FBH is advertised as 880lbs empty. There was not an excessive amount of squat on the rear suspension and if need be I will install Timbrens to help the springs. So far it doesn't look like it needs it.
Timbrens
Old 03-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Same wtih us, We had the Ranger and sunlite camper. Always worried about whether the rear end was overloaded. We carried some GAWDAWFUL loads on that thing at times. It always managed to get us there and back without a hitch. As for the new one. It's a F150 FX4, we are about 200 lbs under the cargo weight with my wife, me, the dog, trailer and a few things in the bed. The truck is supposedly rated at 1680 lbs, with the trailer hitched up and ready to roll, the truck sits level, Actually, when empty, the bed sits about 2" high.

As for towing, the 6 speed tow/haul transmission seems to hunt more than I feel comfortable. In the 2011, there's a select switch to lock out any unwanted gears, on the 2010 that feature is missing. All we can do is adjust speed to keep it in one gear or downshift to 3rd and suffer the high rpm. There's no way to lock out 5th and 6th gears and go without overdrive. That's my only "issue" with the current setup, and we are looking forward to spring and getting on the road. HOWEVER, it looks like we're going to get somewhere between 6 and 15" of snow tomorrow night. sure glad we haven't taken the cover off the trailer yet LOL Ahhhhh spring, that youthtime of life...... <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
Flyguy

The 2008 Tundra does have the "S" position to switch to so as to lockout any gear you select. We tow using S-5 (locking out S-6) and with the tow/haul switch on. If it starts hunting there then I select S-4 and lockout both overdrive gears. In S-5 we get about 12mpg, if we hit good size hills then it drops down from there to about 9 or 10mpg.

Moderators Note If we continue this thread as we are doing I will have to move it to a more appropriate section.
Timbrens