Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
skane

Adding TV Behind Pocket Doors in Master Bedroom Passport 2400BH

Hi Folks,

Over the weekend I spent a few hours installing a new TV into the master bedroom area of our Passport 2400BH.

It took a bit of digging through these forums but I found a TV Mount and TV combo which fit, allowing the pocket doors to slide in front of my TV. Admittedly it is with a 1/4" of clearance, but that is good enough for me! You could likely create more clearance by choosing a thinner television, but here is what I used.

TV Mount: Sanus Systems Premium VSL4-B1 Fixed Position Mount
TV: Element 24" LED HDTV ELEFJ2416.
Note, this was a Cheap-o TV I picked up at Meijer's for $99. The goal here was cheap and thin. If the TV fit those requirements, I was safe. I measured the depth of the pocket space, subtracted 0.6" (depth of Sanus TV Mount) and sought out to find an LED TV with dimensions smaller than that.

At first, despite my digging, I could not find a good answer how thick the wall between the rooms was. So, I took a chance and drilled a hole in the wall to see the depth. Turns out it was a lot thicker than I suspected, around 2" thick.

Next, I stopped by Ace Hardware and purchased two 1" long 5/8" thick lag screws. They provide two lag screws in the kit with the Sanus, I just took those to Ace and said "give me this screw, but 1" long." I followed the Sanus mount installation directions. Figuring out, based off the positioning of the rear of the mount on the back of the TV, where to install the mount. The mount is very simple as you can see in the image below.

I then screwed the mount to the back of the TV, and simply press the TV into the Mount. It presses backward and clips in. So, there is no need to worry about sliding it down and having clearance above and below the TV.

Voila, she's installed!

Long term plan is install an Amazon Fire Stick and then get a Plex Media server installed in my camper along with a HooToo router to provide local Wifi access. I'll have a separate write up completed on that project soon. Still working on some hurdles there.

Happy Glamping!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File_001 (1).jpeg
Views:	4307
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	12730   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_002 (1).jpeg
Views:	4313
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	12731   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000.jpeg
Views:	4622
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	12732   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_001.jpeg
Views:	4436
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	12733   Click image for larger version

Name:	File_002.jpeg
Views:	4289
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	12734  

Old 05-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Jeepshots

Nicely done! I cannot get my wife to commit to the bedroom TV. She says we're camping, not TV watching...
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
McG-Family

Thank you very much for your awesome writeup. I will most likely do the same thing in the next week.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this 👍👍👍👍
McG-Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
skane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
Nicely done! I cannot get my wife to commit to the bedroom TV. She says we're camping, not TV watching...
So, Central AC, Central Furnace, Full bath with shower, microwave, stove, full fridge and entertainment center are OK - but nope, no second TV. That's where we draw the line, we are supposed to be camping!! hahaha! I can totally sympathize. Good luck on the convincing!!
Old 05-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
Jeepshots

She comes back with awning, patio chairs, picnic table, fire pit, outdoor kitchen/grill, games, lanterns and flashlights. She's said at times she thinks the camper should be for sleeping only. She also says that I bought it for my 50th birthday, and it's my camper. Might have to lean on that phrase and declare that i'm putting a TV into my camper. Wonder how long it'll be before I come out of my coma?
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
Bumala

Laredo 23 RB

I did the same thing for the bedroom of my 23 RB. I wanted to have it a 12V TV, ( for boon docking) which limited me to 22". I used an extendable mount, which allows me to view the tv with the doors open. When folded for traveling, it fits behind the pocket doors. It works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	12764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1039.jpeg
Views:	545
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	12765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	12766  
http:\\www.Bumala.com
Bumala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Baknudse

Thank you

This post was very helpful , thanks !!
Baknudse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
Baknudse

How deep is the hole where the TV goes.

How deep is the hole where the TV goes, like how many inches.
Baknudse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #9
campertime

nice write up. thanks for sharing
Old 07-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
Sevins

Thank You for this!! I just ordered the mount from Amazon and picking up the TV at BB tomorrow. Unfortunately the mount won't be here till Monday so it will have to wait till next weekend to get mounted.

I am curious to here about your router/pled server set up?

2015 Passport 2920BH
2011 Chevy Tahoe LT
Sevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:07 AM   #11
campertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baknudse View Post
How deep is the hole where the TV goes, like how many inches.
The opening is 32" wide x 19-1/2" tall x 3-1/2" deep
Old 07-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
whitmw

I did the same with mine. It was a fun project but like someone else stated here, dont go camping to lay in bed and watch tv.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #13
mikef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skane View Post
Hi Folks,

Over the weekend I spent a few hours installing a new TV into the master bedroom area of our Passport 2400BH.

It took a bit of digging through these forums but I found a TV Mount and TV combo which fit, allowing the pocket doors to slide in front of my TV. Admittedly it is with a 1/4" of clearance, but that is good enough for me! You could likely create more clearance by choosing a thinner television, but here is what I used.

TV Mount: Sanus Systems Premium VSL4-B1 Fixed Position Mount
TV: Element 24" LED HDTV ELEFJ2416.
Note, this was a Cheap-o TV I picked up at Meijer's for $99. The goal here was cheap and thin. If the TV fit those requirements, I was safe. I measured the depth of the pocket space, subtracted 0.6" (depth of Sanus TV Mount) and sought out to find an LED TV with dimensions smaller than that.

At first, despite my digging, I could not find a good answer how thick the wall between the rooms was. So, I took a chance and drilled a hole in the wall to see the depth. Turns out it was a lot thicker than I suspected, around 2" thick.

Next, I stopped by Ace Hardware and purchased two 1" long 5/8" thick lag screws. They provide two lag screws in the kit with the Sanus, I just took those to Ace and said "give me this screw, but 1" long." I followed the Sanus mount installation directions. Figuring out, based off the positioning of the rear of the mount on the back of the TV, where to install the mount. The mount is very simple as you can see in the image below.

I then screwed the mount to the back of the TV, and simply press the TV into the Mount. It presses backward and clips in. So, there is no need to worry about sliding it down and having clearance above and below the TV.

Voila, she's installed!

Long term plan is install an Amazon Fire Stick and then get a Plex Media server installed in my camper along with a HooToo router to provide local Wifi access. I'll have a separate write up completed on that project soon. Still working on some hurdles there.

Happy Glamping!!
I just did the same install, thanks for your info and notes. Is that a 24" or a 32" TV that you used? I saw you said 24" but looks bigger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
mikef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:55 AM   #14
Tinner12002

Looks good!...but was wondering are you going to be able to see it above your toes?? Lol!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #15
mikef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post
I just did the same install, thanks for your info and notes. Is that a 24" or a 32" TV that you used? I saw you said 24" but looks bigger. I ended up using a 32" Element and it fits. Deeper than 24" so opening and closing doors require care as it will touch.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #16
F16ccang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post
I just did the same install, thanks for your info and notes. Is that a 24" or a 32" TV that you used? I saw you said 24" but looks bigger.

Thinking about doing the same. My question is how difficult is it to remove tv once mounted? We currently plan on using our tv from our house bedroom while we are in the process of selling and buying and going to stay in camper in the meantime

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #17
mikef

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16ccang View Post
Thinking about doing the same. My question is how difficult is it to remove tv once mounted? We currently plan on using our tv from our house bedroom while we are in the process of selling and buying and going to stay in camper in the meantime

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The bracket used to mount the TV has a string you pull to release it. You will have to reinstall the legs or base and that's it. Watch the depth as you have little to spare in the 2400bh. The bracket fits flush to the back.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #18
busterbrown

I have a Bullet with the same sliding pocket doors and recessed TV mount surface. I use this mount along with some strapping (as seen here) that secures the lower part of the TV so it doesn't bounce during travel. It has worked great for the last 2 seasons and hopefully for the next 10.

Last RV show I was at had some TT's with a fixed, extended mount head that fits through the bedroom pocket doors while they were both in the open position. I have yet to find it for sale on the www. Still searching....
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:48 AM   #19
Amy&Dave

Question Depth of console?

Thanks for this info, Skane! I realize this post is older, but do you know if the depth of the tv opening in the bedroom is just over 3"? We just bought a 2670, and it looks exactly the same. If the opening in yours is the same as ours, we can do the same process. Would you mind posting the measurements of your opening? Thanks!
Amy&Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #20
skane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dave View Post
Thanks for this info, Skane! I realize this post is older, but do you know if the depth of the tv opening in the bedroom is just over 3"? We just bought a 2670, and it looks exactly the same. If the opening in yours is the same as ours, we can do the same process. Would you mind posting the measurements of your opening? Thanks!
Hi Amy & Dave,

I will check the measurements when I get home but, yes, the depth is just a bit past 3". Now that I have been driving all over with that TV there, its good to note that the TV just BARELY rubs the pocket door when closed. This does create a bit chafing of the TV but nothing I'm really sweating/crying over. I'm a bit OCD about the care and look of my stuff and it is not like I am changing it out any time soon.

Tags
2400bh, bed, bedroom, passport