Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
twvette

HELP! Jensen ASA InCommand ... have older firmware to send me?

I tried upgrading my firmware as have had lots of issues with "BCM Connecting" and was simply hoping new firmware would help.

I downloaded the proper firmware update from ASA site and followed instructions. It mention needing to make sure to upgrade the DC first, then BCM, then App. So I started with the DC and it asked to reboot as expected but I noticed on startup it also automatically started updating the App which was nto expected/mentioned would happen. New DC version and App were installed and now cannot get BCM to connect. Have already tried power shutoff, bluetooth reset button on BCM board, etc. I think the BCM does not like the App new version as the manual specifically says will have communication issues if not upgraded in proper sequence. It powers on and functions well just wont talk to BCM at all now.

Anyone have any older versions of the JRVCS1 DC and App software that work together? Send BCM also please if have it. Please send me a PM if you have the firmware and/or software.

Any known ways to undo the firmware install or a hard reset to factory?

I know can get the slides, etc in manually with the board button. Any way to trigger things on like water pump manually?
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:07 AM   #2
xcntrk

I would recommend calling ASA tech support. I had a problem updating my system too (due to wrong code downloaded and applied - by me), and they were extremely helpful diagnosing and determining the best course of action. In my situation I had to send my DC in for RMA, but it sounds like in your case you can just reflash it back to another version - of which they'll likely supply you the code.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
GovGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
I would recommend calling ASA tech support. I had a problem updating my system too (due to wrong code downloaded and applied - by me), and they were extremely helpful diagnosing and determining the best course of action. In my situation I had to send my DC in for RMA, but it sounds like in your case you can just reflash it back to another version - of which they'll likely supply you the code.
I second this. They are very responsive and helpful. you'll get a real person quickly. I had a panel die and it was working again with a replacement in 4-days time.
Blogg@ - https://rv-therapy.com/blog/
GovGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
twvette

Thanks, yes I have reached out to ASA but its the weekend and they are closed and I was dead in the water. Was in the woods with no internet or hookups so a bit frustrated.

Not sure I have any faith left with these being a Bluetooth connection. Would not have purchased if I knew that was what I was counting on to have power for most stuff vs. hard wire.

Weird thing is it magically connected after about 4 hours when drove into town to post the above. It asked me for new passcode whereas it was not initially doing this so I can only assume something was downloading in the background and took a long time but there were no obvious signs of this so not really sure. It worked for about 8 hours Sat afternoon until going to bed but then the dreaded "BCM Connecting" this morning and no luck with it recovering on its own or through various resets again later today.

I did take a look at the wiring and was able to easily use jumper wire from water pump "12v In" to "12V Out" to bypass the relay and have water during today.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out for me with ASA as my hauler is 150 miles away from me now in storage as usual. Emergency weekend support would be nice but not many places have that so cant gripe much.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
GovGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvette View Post
Thanks, yes I have reached out to ASA but its the weekend and they are closed and I was dead in the water. Was in the woods with no internet or hookups so a bit frustrated.

Not sure I have any faith left with these being a Bluetooth connection. Would not have purchased if I knew that was what I was counting on to have power for most stuff vs. hard wire.

Weird thing is it magically connected after about 4 hours when drove into town to post the above. It asked me for new passcode whereas it was not initially doing this so I can only assume something was downloading in the background and took a long time but there were no obvious signs of this so not really sure. It worked for about 8 hours Sat afternoon until going to bed but then the dreaded "BCM Connecting" this morning and no luck with it recovering on its own or through various resets again later today.

I did take a look at the wiring and was able to easily use jumper wire from water pump "12v In" to "12V Out" to bypass the relay and have water during today.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out for me with ASA as my hauler is 150 miles away from me now in storage as usual. Emergency weekend support would be nice but not many places have that so cant gripe much.
Yikes, you have my sympathy... these are great when they work, but highly frustrating when they don't. I only have AP-V4.3.27, and CM-V5.2.05 from when I upgraded from stock to remedy Hot Water Heater disconnection issues.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:10 AM   #6
xcntrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovGeek View Post
I only have AP-V4.3.27, and CM-V5.2.05
I looked back at my cache, same versions here. I updated mine last back in fall of 2016, so that's been the stable version for some time now. You sure you put the right SW on the correct In-Command system? There are 3 different versions of the system now, each has unique SW.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
twvette

Spoke with ASA. Indeed super helpful and worth the long hold time (probably because its Monday and got passed from level1 to expert tech).

Its almost certainly not a software version mismatch problem for me. The User Manual is old and now the DC software will update the App software as part of its reboot if it is seen during the reboot. I had all three software updates on my USB stick so I it was there, but it might also be embedded in the DC software ... I did not ask for clarification on this as does not really matter.

Luckily took lots of pics before I put hauler in storage of software screens, board, etc. They are suspecting a problem with the my bluetooth antenna. Mine is showing signal of -92 to -94db in the setup menu which is not good and right at the breaking point to establish communications so also matches my symptoms have had since day 1. Should be more like -70db. Could be antenna disconnected/poor connection on board, BCM mounted to metal plate/metal between board and DC panel blocking signal, power cable to DC not fully seated, or similar. Recommended I try moving the antenna on the board around a little to see if seated in connector ok and if moving its location helps. It is located at the upper left corner of the board where an the installation screw is. Apparently there are apps can use to get bluetooth signal from a separate device to also further narrow down if BCM or DC issue so I will look into this also. Will pop the bezel off the DC and check power connections, etc. for anything abnormal. I am almost certain I got a "Dont care Friday" or "Hung over Monday" version Fuzion as have had so many things missing and disconnected its unreal and would not be surprised if same on this issue.

Looked at my BCM pics and appears mine is either broken off at the connector or it is wrapped over the edge and tucked behind the board which is likely not good either. My pic is not that great ... not zoomed in

So, current conclusion is I basically have enough signal to see the BCM via BT but it is too weak to connect to reliably. Makes further sense as when scanning for BCM in Setup menu sometimes it found it fast and other times took a minute or so.

In my Fuzion 420 the DC is mounted just as come in main door within a cabinet. The BCM is less than 10ft away direct shot and not mounted to metal (BCM is mounted to particle board basement wall) so we don't think placement is an issue but he was very curious which model I had and said if not implemented correctly has seen issues with BT signal strength.

Tech said my problem is not common and I could tell was shooting me straight based on some other info he gave me. He said most BCM connecting issues are related to it jumping to another BT identification number or similar but in these cases the blue light on board would remain on vs. being off like I have.

I also inquired about the fact that it loses connection much more using phone app. He has not had reports of this frequently but with a weak signal could see how this could only compound problems even though phone app is connecting to the DC instead of BCM.

If I can get connected again I will update the BCM firmware but confirmed there are no improvements for any "BCM Connecting" issues so it would just be a formality for me.

They are going to take care of me one way or another. However, they do require a dealer be involved so will have to take it in unless its a simple antenna issue I can find.

Will go do some more investigating later this week/weekend.

Anyone have access to theirs and could post a couple somewhat zoomed in pics of how their BT antenna looks on the BCM board (upper left corner next to mounting screw)? ... I cant really see mine in pic I have and even tech was a little uncertain exactly what it normally looks like and also trying to get me a pic. What db signal strength are you seeing?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
twvette

Anyone have access to theirs and could post a couple somewhat zoomed in pics of how their BT antenna looks on the BCM board (upper left corner next to mounting screw)?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
GovGeek

Unfortunately I don't have real good pics of the BCM, but I think you can just barely see the bottom of the metal antennae. But I did take the panel apart when mine died and you can see it's BT antennae on the left side, which would be the right side when mounted to a wall.

Sent from my pocket computer
Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #10
twvette

Thanks!

I was able to do some photo editing on a pic I had and almost certain now can see mine tucked up behind board. ASA is not sure that is really a bad thing so I am feeling less confident moving it will help much. They also just sent me pic where it should be.

Gonna make the trip up to my storage location to try a few things to see if can get good signal BT strength. If not, its going to the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluetooth antenna.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	13694   Click image for larger version

Name:	bluetooth antenna_ASA.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	13695  
Old 08-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
GovGeek

Quote:
Thanks!

I was able to do some photo editing on a pic I had and almost certain now can see mine tucked up behind board. ASA is not sure that is really a bad thing so I am feeling less confident moving it will help much. They also just sent me pic where it should be.

Gonna make the trip up to my storage location to try a few things to see if can get good signal BT strength. If not, its going to the dealership.
Yup, that's an antennae connector alright. It looks like the actual antennae PCB is mounted right above the momentary rocker switches and fixed horizontally to the plastic housing. The same antennae type can be seen in my picture of the panel on the left side.

I'm not sure it'll help much either, because I've been 35' away from the BCM at the back of our trailer actuating the stabilizers and it doesn't lose connection.

Good luck! At least you're narrowing things down.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #12
twvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovGeek View Post
I've been 35' away from the BCM at the back of our trailer actuating the stabilizers and it doesn't lose connection.
But in that case with a phone app, its the phone BT connection to the DC rather than the DC to BCM connection. This is why I am thinking the newer Pro Plus version would be much more reliable (in theory) as DC to BCM is hard wire but can still use phone app with DC to control just like doing with JRVCS1 version. If phone app does not work still have the DC panel to operate things.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
xcntrk

Does anybody find it ironic that a properly wired DC to BCM unit is described as "pro plus"? More like, "the way it should be" model.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #14
GovGeek

Quote:
But in that case with a phone app, its the phone BT connection to the DC rather than the DC to BCM connection. This is why I am thinking the newer Pro Plus version would be much more reliable (in theory) as DC to BCM is hard wire but can still use phone app with DC to control just like doing with JRVCS1 version. If phone app does not work still have the DC panel to operate things.
I don't actually know. I've heard that the mobile device connects to the DC since that is what you're pairing to. But I'm not sure if that's a passthrough from Phone -> DC -> BCM, or if the phone is parallel to the DC once paired. Either way, my DC location is still not that ideal given how far away I can connect, I'm often surprised.

I still get BCM disconnection errors though and have to power cycle the DC. During that time my phone cannot connect either until the DC comes back online... So I guess I just answered my own question!

Old 08-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #15
twvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
Does anybody find it ironic that a properly wired DC to BCM unit is described as "pro plus"? More like, "the way it should be" model.
... and who would have thunk the day would come I can't go "boondocking" because my bluetooth connection does not work
Old 08-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #16
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:

Correct. The DC connects to the BCM via Bluetooth and the phone connects to the DC (not the BCM) via Bluetooth.

I too would prefer a hard-wired version.

Guess if mine ever requires replacement, I'll get to pick which one I buy. With the way campers depreciate, a new iN-Command might cost more than the camper is worth!

Hate to throw away a camper because the Bluetooth took a dump...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #17
twvette

Anyone inquire what the Pro Plus system costs to us? I don't see it anywhere online ....
Old 08-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #18
GovGeek

Quote:
Anyone inquire what the Pro Plus system costs to us? I don't see it anywhere online ....
I reached out to them and asked, below is my question and their response. I underlined the important part about the Pro Plus upgrade.

ASA's reply to a question I submitted: As far as keeping a strong connection - we advise shutting the screen down completely once a week. Every time you hard start the DC it reestablishes a new and strong connection versus letting the existing connection die out and demand a reset on the BCM (Body Control Module).

If you are shutting the system down before issues occur you could have an issue with the signal from the BCM. I can check to see what signal strength you're getting (if the distance between the two pieces is too large this could cause issues). If you haven't shut the screen off and powered on before problems come this should prevent them from happening at all. If not let me know.

We do not sell iN•Command retail, but hypothetically if you wanted the new system you would need to replace both the DC and BCM.

My original question to ASA: I was curious what the upgrade path looks like from the In-Command 7" (Bluetooth DC and BCM) to the Pro Plus direct wired configuration. Do both DC/BCM units need to be replaced or can one simply purchase the newer DC panel and wiring?

I have always experienced BCM disconnection errors and at a minimum, needed to power cycle the DC panel to establish connectivity. At worst, I have to turn off the 12v inverter and then climb into a small cabinet to switch the emergency battery disconnect to power down the BCM.

You've replaced my dead panel already, but it too is having the same disconnection issues I've always experienced since buying the new RV in 2016. Granted it doesn't happen every single time I use it, but it does happen every single trip.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #19
twvette

Got mine FIXED !!!!

Still had BCM connection message when got it out of storage after week of hard power down. Moving the antenna wire was the fix essentially. Here is a summary of troubleshooting stuff I put together based on all the conversations with ASA I had to help with "Connecting to BCM" issues beyond the various normal power resets that have already been discussed:

1. Verify your issue is a signal issue. Go into the Setup menu on the DC control panel. Code for access should be 5391. Click on the BCM device at top of list, hit scan, and within a minute or so you should see the BCM found and it will list what the signal strength is. You want to see something like -80db. If -90db to about -95db you will have intermittent connection issues and/or complete loss of connection. I was getting at best -92db with intermittent connection and when -95 to -98db was down hard and sometimes the scan in Setup menu would not even pickup the BCM signal.

2. To start narrowing down if a BCM or DC issue, download a bluetooth scanning app to your phone. I used the free BLE Scanner app for my iPhone. Open your cover to the BCM main board just to ensure nothing is blocking signal and open the app with your phone next to the open circuit board. When using these apps they typically only find a bluetooth ID when the system is broadcasting and not when connected. So, press the small bluetooth reset button on the BCM board after you hit the "Scan" button in the BLE app. When you release the button and see the blue light on the BCM come on and off, the app will then pick up the broadcasted device signal and show what strength it is. Mine showed "Jensen ..." with a whole lot of other characters. What is dB number it is showing? Mine showed -68db after I fixed it below which is really good. This just proves that the bluetooth transmitter seems to be working well and thus likely not a problem with the BCM or its bluetooth circuit/antenna. FYI, I also tested signal in my Fuzion 420 where the DC is installed with the app and was getting -78 to -84db in multiple scans and the DC later showed similar numbers.

2. If your signal is weak in step one, locate the antenna wire which is a black wire at upper left of board close to the rocker switches manual operation of stuff like slides, etc. This wire connects to the main board with a micro RCA like connection and it will even rotate on its very small connector if there is any slack in the wire. The other end of the wire goes to a small circuit board which is mounted to the surrounding plastic case of the main board. The bluetooth antenna connection is a very small gold colored connector on the main board. Push on it from the top down towards the board to make sure it is fully seated and/or wiggle or rotate it a little to ensure has a clean contact. The problem on mine was the wire was wrapped behind the board and pinched between the board and a plastic extrusion in the surrounding plastic. Luckily it did not cut the wire or its insulation. I believe this occurred when they installed the main board as they slid it in, putting tension on the wire causing it to not make good contact with the connector on the main board. I say this as there was nothing visibly wrong so this is my theory. I was able to loosen the 10 or so screws that mount the board to the plastic housing and used a couple flat edge screwdrivers to carefully "dig out" the antenna wire while prying a little on the main board to free the pinched portion of the wire. It now has an inch or so of slack and lies naturally across the top of the rocker switches. I never touched the actual transmitter board on other end of wire. When I retested after doing this with the BLE Scanner is when I started seeing good -db numbers from the app.

3. If still no luck, the problem is likely with the DC reception of the bluetooth signal. It does not have an external antenna unfortunately. That would be nice so could move it closer to BCM board if any issues. Remove the bezel around the DC to expose the four mounting screws. A butter knife works well. Just carefully pry at the bottom edges to slowly work it loose. One side of my DC actually ripped out of the very thin particle board the DC was screwed into so be careful ... another sign of less than quality work in these rigs and will make a backing plate to fix this as should have originally been used. Remove the four screws that hold the DC in to access the wiring. It only has a 12V connection for power and ground. Mine actually had two wires crimped into a single terminal connector for each so four wires total, but this is just poor wiring/using cheap wire instead of good single heavy gauge wire to each. Use a voltmeter and make sure getting something a bit above 12V. I had 13.8V as batteries fully charged. If not getting about same voltage as what your batteries are currently at there is probably a wiring issue that could cause all kinds of weird problems and bluetooth signal is one of them.

4. If not an obvious DC problem with voltage supply, disconnect the power wires from the DC controller. Take it and place it next to the open BCM board like did earlier with the phone app. Use a battery jump pack, jumpers from your rig battery or whatever you are comfortable with for a 12V power source. Once again go into the Setup menu and select the BCM and Scan to see what signal you are now getting the with DC next to the BCM board/bluetooth antenna. This takes anything that might be blocking signal in the rig out of play. If get good signal now might move it around in rig to see if better place to mount it but that will likely not be fun/convenient for use. Might also unscrew the BCM plastic housing that holds the main board so can get some separation between it and the mounting surface, especially if a metal plate is being used. This gap could allow bluetooth signal to now transmit into the rig better so take the DC back inside to verify. If still no luck, would probably be best to take to dealer and describe problem and what you found to make them deal with this.

This event really sucked but I learned a lot. I am not too scared of this system now that I fully understand it. Would still prefer the wired Pro Plus version.

It also seems strange they make the phone app connect through DC rather than directly to the BCM as the phone app could be a backup if the DC were to fail.

I could not get any pricing info for any of the systems out of ASA as they are on an exclusive manufacturer only sales program. I was told that a retail version will likely be coming out and sounded like fairly soon so hopefully these will not be off the charts expensive for those of us who might want upgrade or repair on own.

As a final step I was able to get the BCM firmware also updated now that had reliable connection. Be patient with this one, it will show the old firmware version on the screen after it downloads and no signs of anything going on but after a couple minutes it will then show the new version and then power itself off/turn screen off. Just turn it back on and I was back up running again with no issues.

I am now showing latest versions on DC, BCM, and App along with good bluetooth signal so will now get to see truly how reliable this system is.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #20
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Glad you fixed it. I'll have to play with the Bluetooth on mine and see if I can keep it connected for more than a day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jensen