Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
LFord

Hi from SW North Carolina

Hello to everyone!

I have made a deal on a "new" 2016 Keystone Passport Ultra Lite Express 199ML that I will be taking delivery on in 2-3 weeks from RV Wholesalers in Lakeview, OH.

This will be my first RV/Travel Trailer. Until I retire in about 4 years, I will be using it mostly on extended/holiday weekends, just to get used to the "RVing Experience." I have several friends who are experienced RVers, so I have been able to get a lot of advice from them, but basically I'm "all ears" when it comes to learning what I need to know.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), my first RV towing experience will come when I go up to Lakeview, OH, to take delivery and tow it back [1] down I-75 to SWNC (southwest corner of NC/Great Smoky Mtns.). That plus the purchase delivery inspection, making sure everything works while I'm at the dealer, are my main concerns at this time.

Thanks and hope to meet some of you on the road sometime.

Larry J. Ford
[1] Tow Vehicle is 2013 Ford F-150, 3.5L Ecoboost V6, Factory Tow Package, 3.15 ratio 8,600 lbs. tow capacity
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new trailer!!

Be sure and print the PDI from this forum and take it with you. There are also many posts suggesting the necessary items for going camping, first use etc. so search for them. If you can't find them just ask; I think most know their stuff by heart. Hope the weather is good for the pickup. If you can't get off on a trip for a while don't hesitate to camp in your driveway or a local little campground so you can get used to it. Try to be close to a store to get the things you find that you forgot. Good luck.

edit; be sure they throw in, or you buy, a good weight distributing hitch with sway control. I use the Equalizer brand with 4 point sway. Pulling it back on the Interstate will be more than unpleasant without one. Also, just take your time and take it slow as you get used to towing. Remember that things can seem like everything is peachy keen until a gust, or semi, whips the trailer - just don't overreact.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
LFord

Thanks. I have identified a couple of RV parks/campsites close to the dealer's location, and hope to plan the trip so that I can stay overnight in one of the nearby parks the first night, just to make sure everything works, and then be back on their doorstep first thing in the morning to get it fixed if any problems before I start out on a 500 mile trip home. LJF
Old 03-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Do the inspection and be sure everything works BEFORE you take possession. Once they have your money dealers are less likely to fix things quickly. Good luck and travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Tow tips.
1. Keep your speed down, 65 or under. It's not a race.
2. You're longer, so be careful turning, especially rights.
3. Go to a parking lot and practice, even if it's only for a few minutes. It'll make you more comfortable.

Good luck. Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
66joej

Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
^^^ Lots of good advice already. Enjoy your new TT.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

to The Forum From Western PA

Congrats on your new Passport !! Enjoy

I highly recommend you look into the Forums PDI list and prepare for your Dealer walk through

Be Safe and Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 AM   #8
14george

Welcome to the fourm congrats from W Va x2 all above
Old 03-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #9
Barbell

We love your part of the country; Asheville, Cherokee, Bryson City, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. Can't wait to get back there.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
LFord

Roger that. I don't plan on signing anything until I am satisfied all is completed and in proper working order.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
LFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFord View Post
Thanks. I have identified a couple of RV parks/campsites close to the dealer's location, and hope to plan the trip so that I can stay overnight in one of the nearby parks the first night, just to make sure everything works, and then be back on their doorstep first thing in the morning to get it fixed if any problems before I start out on a 500 mile trip home. LJF
P.SI am buying an Equalizer WDH as part of the deal.

LJF
Old 03-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #12
Tbos

LFord, welcome to the forum from Southern MD. I bought my first Passport from RVW. The kid that did the walk through with us and set up the hitch was pretty thorough but I should have climbed up a ladder to look at the seals in the roof. Didn't have any issues luckily. You should buy a torque wrench and the right adapters/sockets to check the wheel lug torque. It takes a few trips for lugs on painted steel wheels to seat. Take that warning , the speed warning and the tire pressure warning seriously. I believe there is a campground very near the dealer. Read the instructions in your Trucks manual about how to set the bias on your trailer brake controller. Once you have it setup it will make the trip a lot more fun. If you don't have extendable tow mirrors you might consider getting them or some add ons. Take it easy and get used to where those TT wheels go. Don't hit any curbs. Most of all, take your time, be patient as you learn and enjoy having your own towable "tiny house" when you are sitting around a fire roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #13
LFord

Tom,

Thanks for the tips. Any recommendations on the torque wrench and adapter/socket size to check the TT wheel lug nuts? There is an RV Park about 5 miles from RVW on Indian Hollow Lake that I may stay at the first night. I have been reading the F-150 manual on setting the TBC bias - a Ford OEM integrated TBC is being installed at the local Ford dealer tomorrow (Friday). That will enable the truck's trailer sway control electronics as well. If it works as well as the You Tube videos show, that, plus the Equalizer Hitch, should help the Interstate towing experience. I bought towing mirror add-ons from e.trailer.com for the F-150 that attach to the standard truck mirrors and extend out. What should I be looking for on the roof seal issue?

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFord View Post
Tom,

Thanks for the tips. Any recommendations on the torque wrench and adapter/socket size to check the TT wheel lug nuts? There is an RV Park about 5 miles from RVW on Indian Hollow Lake that I may stay at the first night. I have been reading the F-150 manual on setting the TBC bias - a Ford OEM integrated TBC is being installed at the local Ford dealer tomorrow (Friday). That will enable the truck's trailer sway control electronics as well. If it works as well as the You Tube videos show, that, plus the Equalizer Hitch, should help the Interstate towing experience. I bought towing mirror add-ons from e.trailer.com for the F-150 that attach to the standard truck mirrors and extend out. What should I be looking for on the roof seal issue?

Thanks.

If you can, check all the seals along the edges, around the vents and AC and particularly along the front and rear edges. Look for cracking, curling and make sure the sealant completely covers the seams and does so with a good margin along the edges and not just barely extending over the edge of the seam.

I'll emphasize once again to watch the tracking of the tires on the trailer in a turn. You bought the extended mirrors so hopefully they will allow you to do that. They will not track like the truck. You will need to pull deep into the turn before you turn the truck or the trailer is going to cut the corners off the other lanes. Mine is 38' long and I have to actually get into other lanes on lots of occasions on skinny streets; much like a semi does on tight turns. Keep an eye on it and practice and you'll get a feel for it.

You mention a campground near where you are buying the trailer. It might be handy if you could spend the first night there to check out all the systems and get familiar with it while you are close to the dealer in the event there is a problem. Hopefully there is a Wally World or something similar in case you forgot something. Good luck and have fun.

Edit; torque wrench and sockets. I use, as many do, a torque wrench from Harbor Freight. I also carry a 2nd one I got from Snap On years ago in case the HF fails. Socket sizes will depend on the lug nuts on the truck and trailer. I think mine are 22mm and 13/16 if I recall but would have to double check to know for sure. I also carry a cordless impact wrench so all of those type sockets are deep, impact sockets. All are 1/2" drive. Check your lugs and tire pressure daily to make sure you don't have an unwanted surprise from a blowout or flat.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
Tbos

Sourdough beat me to it about what to look for on the roof. I use a Walmart "Torin tools" 1/2" drive torque wrench with a 6" extension. I checked the socket and its a long reach 13/16". Indian Hollow may be the CG on the lake I was thinking about. Have fun.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote