Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
svanarts

Considering purchasing a Passport 153ML

My wife and I are planning to move into a 5th wheel and travel full time. That can’t happen for at least 8 more years when I retire. However, we don’t want to wait before we start RV’ing. So in the mean time I’m looking for a travel trailer my gutless RAM 1500 (6000lbs max towing) can pull. I love my RAM but I’ll have to upgrade it before I can get a heavier trailer and if I do that I might as well upgrade it big time. So, as I said in the mean time we are looking at ultra light travel trailers. We saw the Passport 153ML at a local RV dealership and really liked the floor plan and weight of the trailer. Wondering if there are any Passport owners out there who can tell me how they like their trailers? What do you like about it, what do you not like about it? What do you wish they would change? Any issues I should watch out for?

Thanks for any info!
Old 07-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
steamboatscott

I went with Passport over Bullet despite the $2k price increase, mostly for some of the small things...like black tank flush port. Came from Forest River and found Keystone’s Passport quality to be about the same, which means good compared to peers, but far less perfect than I would’ve built it. All the Keystone dealers knew less than even the brochure, so I enjoyed conversing by ph Me with a few engineers at the HQ and appreciated their professionalism.
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
Retired Copper

That's a nice looking camper, everything you need to camp and get outdoors. The Keystone`s and especially the PassPorts can hold their own with the other products. They all can have their problems and none are perfect for everyone. A good dealer with a good service department can only help you in the long run. Down load the PDI here on this site and go over it from top to bottom. If a dealership has a PDI it is a good thing. The dealer gave us a copy of their PDI with the tec`s initials by each process he performed along with him walking use through what he did and how he preformed it. I like watching Josh " The RV Nerd" doing walk throughs on different models. He has one for the model you are looking at. Go to Haylett Rv`s web site and watch it.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
svanarts

Good to know! Thanks I'll check that out!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
mthopton

We have a 153ML and have had it now for about 15 months. We purchased new from Open Roads RV in Woodstock, GA. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Toyota Tundra and I’m using a Curt weight/sway hitch. The Tundra with the 5.7 iForce V8 is a beast and pulls this Camper with ease.

We added a Class 3 hitch to the rear for use with a hitch style bicycle rack. Works great.

I’ve had a few minor issues but none requiring dealer assistance. Some interior trim pieces came off, the Dometic toilet flush valve developed a leak, which was easily fixed with a Phillips head and a $35 part while mid-trip.

We replaced the umbilical cord with a plug-in style cord, which works well and is more convenient. The “stereo” is marginal and we haven’t even used the TV yet. Fit/finish is acceptable but nothing fantastic. We have 100+ nights in our camper and it has functioned fine and is no worse for the wear. Tows easily and is just right for 2 people.

My Wife would prefer to be able to walk around the bed to make it up... no big deal to me. The fridge is a good size, the heater will smoke you out and the dinette is comfortable enough. We replaced the mattress with a memory foam from Amazon - made a huge difference.

Like most, there is minimal counter space and nowhere for a coffee maker, so I added a flip-up counter with a bamboo cutting board, a piano hinge and two brackets. Much more functional.

Overall, it fits our needs and we’ve been happy. I’ll try to add some pics for you to see.

Good luck!
mthopton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport