Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
kevbig

Furrion camera plug no power.

I brought home a Passport 239ml today. The furrion camera that I bought would not work plugged into the trailer. I took it into the Truck and the camera worked when plugged in.
So I figured it must be the wiring. The camera is wired to work when the running lights are on but the polarity was backwards. On the middle running light on the back of the trailer is where the camera gets the power from. All I needed to do was take apart the connection then redo the connections but with the camera wires reversed. I used new crimp connectors and electrical tape. Hope this can help someone with the same problem.
kevbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #2
Dcowboys2002

Please help lol

Hey man I just bought the rear view camera and tries to install it on my keystone Springdale and of course there is no power- reading g some replies here this isn’t an uncommon issue- can anybody dumb it down for me (electrical ain’t my thing lol) but really don’t want to drive it to the closest dealer 1.5 hours away to fix this! Thanks in advance.....
Dcowboys2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:43 AM   #3
MarkEHansen

First, the power usually comes from the running lights on the tow vehicle. Make sure your cable is plugged into the tow vehicle and the running lights are turned on.

Next, it's usually wired to the running light which is mounted above it on the back wall of the trailer. Is that light illuminated?

If still no power, then you may want to remove the running light and/or pull the camera power wire out some and make sure it is connected properly - and has the correct polarity.

In all the above, I said "usually" because sometimes they wire things differently. Those would be the things I would check first.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #4
Dcowboys2002

Thanks for all the help man, yes I did plug the trailer into the tow vehicle and turned lights on (not at first but eventually lol) I am really thinking that the furrion plug has no power going to it but not sure how I can test that? Thinking it might be easier for me to splice into the running light that’s right believe it than chasing that presided system to find out why there’s no power!
Old 05-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
MarkEHansen

My guess is that the camera power is already spliced into the running light that's mounted just above it. Perhaps it's wired backward or the wire connection has worked loose.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
Dcowboys2002

Ok it’s actually below the camera (same diff tho lol) and ya I am hoping- I am gonna take it apart tomorrow although really like I say I electrical ain’t my thing so not sure what I am looking for- but let’s hope for the best! Lol thanks
Old 05-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
TonyMole

I am having the same/similar issue, Only 2 of the 5 running lights across the top at the back are working (left to Right #1 & #4) and no power to the camera lead/plug ..
I tested the camera separately and it does work.
TonyMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Dcowboys2002

Oh wow man that sucks, all my running lights are working. And mines the same if I put the +\- onto a battery the camera works. Just sucks that I I either gotta fix something myself that wasn’t done right or drive it 1.5 to a dealer- so not worth my while.... and GAS! Let me know how u make out, good luck
Old 05-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
Dcowboys2002

Update

Just an FYI here for anyone who has/had this problem. I was advised by Keystone to drive it to dealer to have issue fixed, didn’t want to hook up and drive 1.5 each way for an issue that never should have been! So I just tapped into the power from the clearance light underneath (shouldn’t have had to) but was an easy fix instead. Then just made sure to silicone the hell out of everything and now I have a working camera. Cheers
Old 08-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #10
Cougar Jim

I have a new Cougar 22rbs and coming down from motorhome I really miss not having a rear camera. How much do they cost and where are they available besides the dealer.

Jim
Cougar Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #11
MarkEHansen

There are a few options. The most popular (because it is pre-wired in a lot of Keystone trailers) is the Furrion. It is pretty expensive, however.

Another option (which I don't have, but am considering) is the Haloview. It is less expensive and is supposed to have a much better picture - and includes an adapter to allow it to fit in the Furrion mount provided on existing trailers.

One note as you look for cameras - there are two basic types: back-up cameras and rear observation cameras.

A back-up camera is intended to aid in backing up the vehicle only. It will usually point at a lower angle and the picture quality will not be as good. A rear observation camera is intended to be used while the vehicle is moving (forward or reverse). It will usually be able to be aimed higher and has a better picture.

In either case, the camera just needs power, which usually comes from the running lights at the back of the RV. It transmits its image to the display in the tow vehicle wirelessly.

Good luck in your search.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #12
Dcowboys2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Jim View Post
I have a new Cougar 22rbs and coming down from motorhome I really miss not having a rear camera. How much do they cost and where are they available besides the dealer.

Jim
We researched quite a bit and decided to order through Tadi Brothers. You can go online and browse as well as call them- we’ve spoken to Eddie a number of times and the service and prices for what you get are second to none. Very impressed with my camera at a much lower cost than most other places. Just my 2 cents as I am sure others have found good places too. Good luck
Old 08-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #13
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcowboys2002 View Post
We researched quite a bit and decided to order through Tadi Brothers. You can go online and browse as well as call them- we’ve spoken to Eddie a number of times and the service and prices for what you get are second to none. Very impressed with my camera at a much lower cost than most other places. Just my 2 cents as I am sure others have found good places too. Good luck
What camera system did you get?
Old 08-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #14
Dcowboys2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
What camera system did you get?

Hopefully that link will work so you can see which one we used- there is one slightly better that would have even less wires ( not that there’s many with that one) but this being our first one we went with the cheaper one and are extremely happy with it! If u send me your address I can email you a few actual pics I have? Cheers
Old 06-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #15
Kat N Evan

So I have the haloview camera system. Tried to wire it to the center top market light on my outback 210rs. The marker light has power and lights up but the camera does not work when wired to it. Hooked it straight to the battery and works great. I tried reversing the polarity but that didn’t help. What next?
Kat N Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat N Evan View Post
So I have the haloview camera system. Tried to wire it to the center top market light on my outback 210rs. The marker light has power and lights up but the camera does not work when wired to it. Hooked it straight to the battery and works great. I tried reversing the polarity but that didn’t help. What next?
How did you attach the wires? 12vdc is 12vdc so if it works on the battery it will work on the clearance light if the connections are good.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #17
Kat N Evan

Yeah it was odd to be sure. I wired directly into the marker light wires, I checked the 12volt+ with multimeter but when it didn’t work I reversed the polarity just to check. Get no signal on the monitor but I do when I hook to battery. I even wired the monitors power into the marker light wires and it powered on no problem but can’t get signal from cam wired
to the same marker light. Maybe ground issue?
Kat N Evan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power