Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
FBO Cookie Monster

Talking Jumping in the waters.

Hello all,
Just thought I would introduce myself, looking to begin camping. Just bought the truck, now looking for the trailer. We can’t decide between a 25’ fiver or the 26’ trailer, either a Cougar, or Jayco. Jayco does not really have anything comparable to the 26’ Cougar half ton trailer, but liking the 25.5 reok fifth from them. All of them are about the same price point, so just have to pick one.....

Truck is an F150 HDPP, almost 2500 payload, 11,400 tow, so they should all fit. Would go with a Hensley/ ProPride hitch on the trailer. I like that I would not have to tear up the back of the truck with a fiver hitch, but also would likely enjoy the benifits of a fifth wheel too. Need to keep over all length under 30’ to go to state parks, where we likely be dry camping at least a week at time. Looking at putting several hundred amphours worth of lithium batteries in, inverter, a bit of solar too. Go medium or go home, right?😉

Anyhow, trying to get a feel for this brand, they seem fairly comparable.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:46 AM   #2
notanlines

Cookie, you will need to stay under 30' for more reasons than camping at state parks. Without going into many details, you bought the truck before the RV, you plan on loading the new RV to the hilt with goodies, you bought a minimum of truck trying to tow a maximum of trailer, I could go on. It would behoove you to post the yellow sticker from the door column of your new beast and then we can all decide how much RV you can safely tow. By the way. welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here, but not all of it will be what you want to hear.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:22 AM   #3
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Cookie, you will need to stay under 30' for more reasons than camping at state parks. Without going into many details, you bought the truck before the RV, you plan on loading the new RV to the hilt with goodies, you bought a minimum of truck trying to tow a maximum of trailer, I could go on. It would behoove you to post the yellow sticker from the door column of your new beast and then we can all decide how much RV you can safely tow. By the way. welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here, but not all of it will be what you want to hear.
The truck would be fine for a 25’ fifth, I didn’t go into it blind. It has MORE (by a couple hundred pounds) payload than a diesel f250.
Payload is just under 2500lbs, and tow is 11400, hitch 1320lb. I use the truck for a 129 mile commute, and only will be towing 2% of the time. Long story short, it falls within the numbers best I can tell for either trailer.
Tongue dry 1500, loaded 1800?
Hitch, Andersen, 100.
Myself, wife, dog, 500
So, maxed out, but under. Better than the diesel 250 at least.
The Jayco tongue is 1250 dry, so slightly better margins with that.
The travel trailer will likely (with 100 lb ProPride) will likely be under too, the hitch max 1320 will be limiting.

That all said, still not sure fifth or TT
Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome, first let me say Jim's advice is spot on. That yellow sticker is what the truck is rated at given the equipment installed. From the number, subtract all weight you put in the truck i.e. you, moma,
kids, dogs, fuel, food, drinks, toys, etc.
You will get a number of responses from is affectionately referred to as the "weight police". Don't misinterpret their comments as cynical. Typically they are folks just trying to help you avoid making the mistakes that we've all made. Lots of very knowledgeable people here.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun. Welcome to the forum. You'll get an abundance of opinions and help here.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
meaz93*

You sound like you know what your doing.
I have a 14` F150 Boost with Max Tow; Payload Package, Off Road Pack. Loadlifter 5000's, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, E rated truck & trailer tires, Husky WDH w/ Sway Control and a 5* tow tune.
That being said I safely pull a 38' 9k dry Keystone Outback with ease.
I too was looking at a "light"-lol> 5th wheel but honestly could not find one with all the amenities until the Outback.
Your truck will do great, just plug all the numbers in and make sure your not over on weight limits.
That will dictate what size & weight of trailer you purchase .
Ohh, and welcome!Click image for larger version

Name:	20180702_105629.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	19281
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
You sound like you know what your doing.
I have a 14` F150 Boost with Max Tow; Payload Package, Off Road Pack. Loadlifter 5000's, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, E rated truck & trailer tires, Husky WDH w/ Sway Control and a 5* tow tune.
That being said I safely pull a 38' 9k dry Keystone Outback with ease.
I too was looking at a "light"-lol> 5th wheel but honestly could not find one with all the amenities until the Outback.
Your truck will do great, just plug all the numbers in and make sure your not over on weight limits.
That will dictate what size & weight of trailer you purchase .
Ohh, and welcome!Attachment 19281
Wow, quite a rig there!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Welcome to the forum. The truck, weight scales, tongue weights and numbers numbers numbers is the off season topic of choice! Enjoy your trailer. The fifth wheel has some advantages as does the travel trailer. If you get a 1/2 ton 5th wheel, keep in mind you have to scooch up in the bedroom as you can't stand unless you are under 3' tall. The advantage is that they pull easier and back up easier (well at least for me as I can't drive worth a darn). Keep in mind that NO trailer of any sort is 100 percent perfect in what it offers; there are always trade offs. Best, to my mind is to buy a USED (read cheap) trailer similar to what you consider a dream RV from a floorplan and amenities standpoint and after a few trips out will soon discover that the shape of the toilet, the width/height of the shower, the amount of pantry space and the ease of watching your TV while sitting on the couch all make a huge difference... the things you THOUGHT were important suddenly start to fade and become "nice to have". We have owned many travel trailers, truck campers and 5th wheels and finally figured out what was really important to us. There are trade offs; some of which can be fixed and some can't (I now have a Dometic 320 toilet which cured a lot of my whining vs the old Aqua Magic). Anyway, folks mean well here on this forum so consider what is said but don't get your feeling hurt when we pick apart your tongue weight and WORST... the tires that come on your new rig! Good camping!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Probably need to clarify some things here.

OP is very impressed with the 1/2 ton and the "almost 2500 lbs." of load capacity (which is actually really good for a 1/2 ton) but comes via a lot of magic and mirrors. My HD has 3200 lbs of payload and beyond that a 1/2 ton just can't compare to the truck, or any other HD truck in weight handling.

The 25.5reok (Jayco) is 10k gvw. Figure pin of 2k when loaded up (20%). That leaves the OP with "almost" 500 lbs. for anything/everything in the truck including 500 lbs. for folks and puppy, hitch, toys, gear, tools etc. etc. etc. It won't "fall within the numbers" IMO. https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth...wheel/255reok/

Looking at the Cougar 1/2 ton 26rks and it "might" be a decent fit for your truck. GVW of 8800; tongue of approx. 1144 @ 13%. That would leave you a little wiggle room on your payload and make trying to stay within your capacities much easier....and much more fun. It's a 30' trailer and IF Ford's hype about the towing prowess of your truck lives up to their claims, you should be good to go, IMO.

Not a "police" of any kind. Want to make sure you understand what you are getting into and that you get to enjoy the money you spend instead of unleashing a wave of worries and problems when you make the wrong choice because you didn't know. We have a travel trailer and love it. We have looked and looked and can't find a 5th we would rather have unless we get into 40+ ft. and 200k. (yet ).

As far as brands; I've owned one Jayco and it was a pop up. It leaked water thru the floor (bought new). I've looked at Jaycos (and many others) over the years and IMO the Keystone's are going to give you better value, better build and better amenities at a given price point. Jayco used to be a watch word for quality construction, I've not seen that in all the units I've looked at in the past many years. Good luck on your choice.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
travelin texans

One more time, dry rv weights & truck max tow weights mean ABSOLUTELY nothing when matching truck & rv.
Plus to compare a 1/2 ton V6 to a 3/4 diesel is comparing apples to cabbage, for rv towing choose the diesel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #11
Gegrad

Welcome from North Carolina and enjoy whatever trailer you choose!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #12
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Probably need to clarify some things here.

OP is very impressed with the 1/2 ton and the "almost 2500 lbs." of load capacity (which is actually really good for a 1/2 ton) but comes via a lot of magic and mirrors. My HD has 3200 lbs of payload and beyond that a 1/2 ton just can't compare to the truck, or any other HD truck in weight handling.

The 25.5reok (Jayco) is 10k gvw. Figure pin of 2k when loaded up (20%). That leaves the OP with "almost" 500 lbs. for anything/everything in the truck including 500 lbs. for folks and puppy, hitch, toys, gear, tools etc. etc. etc. It won't "fall within the numbers" IMO. https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth...wheel/255reok/

Looking at the Cougar 1/2 ton 26rks and it "might" be a decent fit for your truck. GVW of 8800; tongue of approx. 1144 @ 13%. That would leave you a little wiggle room on your payload and make trying to stay within your capacities much easier....and much more fun. It's a 30' trailer and IF Ford's hype about the towing prowess of your truck lives up to their claims, you should be good to go, IMO.

Not a "police" of any kind. Want to make sure you understand what you are getting into and that you get to enjoy the money you spend instead of unleashing a wave of worries and problems when you make the wrong choice because you didn't know. We have a travel trailer and love it. We have looked and looked and can't find a 5th we would rather have unless we get into 40+ ft. and 200k. (yet ).

As far as brands; I've owned one Jayco and it was a pop up. It leaked water thru the floor (bought new). I've looked at Jaycos (and many others) over the years and IMO the Keystone's are going to give you better value, better build and better amenities at a given price point. Jayco used to be a watch word for quality construction, I've not seen that in all the units I've looked at in the past many years. Good luck on your choice.
The two Jayco products have an empty weight below 8000 lbs. I can not for the life of me figure out how anyone could stuff a ton of stuff in a 24 ft trailer. I am expecting a tongue weight in the neighborhood of 1700 or so pounds. I am going to buy a tongue scale and keep an eye on it.

As far as quality of one unit over another, I feel it is a crap shoot. I was disheartened today to learn of Cougars floor system that only needs to get wet to be useless and fatal. A few sheets of luan wood sandwiched with foam, where Jayco is using 5/8” tongue and groove plywood. I like the features both have, particularly the integrated 2” receiver in the back for my ebikes. But the flooring system will be hard for me to get over. Other things like the china bomb tires where Jayco fits 15 or 16” Goodyear Endurance tires that are U.S. made.

I’m not a fan boy of any brand yet. I have a job where I sit around and watch netflix, and surf the web to learn all about something. The last few months have been all about RVs. I really appreciate these forums where I learn about every brand. I initially was a huge fan of Grand Design, but the gloss is off that apple too.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
The two Jayco products have an empty weight below 8000 lbs. I can not for the life of me figure out how anyone could stuff a ton of stuff in a 24 ft trailer. I am expecting a tongue weight in the neighborhood of 1700 or so pounds. I am going to buy a tongue scale and keep an eye on it.

As far as quality of one unit over another, I feel it is a crap shoot. I was disheartened today to learn of Cougars floor system that only needs to get wet to be useless and fatal. A few sheets of luan wood sandwiched with foam, where Jayco is using 5/8” tongue and groove plywood. I like the features both have, particularly the integrated 2” receiver in the back for my ebikes. But the flooring system will be hard for me to get over. Other things like the china bomb tires where Jayco fits 15 or 16” Goodyear Endurance tires that are U.S. made.

I’m not a fan boy of any brand yet. I have a job where I sit around and watch netflix, and surf the web to learn all about something. The last few months have been all about RVs. I really appreciate these forums where I learn about every brand. I initially was a huge fan of Grand Design, but the gloss is off that apple too.
You're in a very tough spot!!
If the gloss is off the GD line then you'll most likely not be impressed by any Winnebago product, they own GD.
If not impressed with the Cougar line then your list of choices just got VERY VERY short as Thor owns Keystone & Jayco along with just about any other brand you can name & not a nickels worth of difference between them when comparing similar floor plans or price ranges.
The construction process of any & all rv manufacturers is virtually identical & as the narrator of "Dragnet" used to say "only the names were changed".
The majority of folks join a forum to find solutions to problems, to vent about problems or just to complain thinking the manufacturers are listening, so it's very likely that whatever brand forum you're reading will be filled with complaints, for every complaint there's 100's maybe 1000's of folks completely satisfied that will never be on a forum bragging.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Not being smart aleck but it's obvious you've never 1) pulled a trailer with a dry weight of 8000 lbs.- then loaded, with a 1/2 ton (been there, done that), and 2) don't know what you don't know about what you are going to carry. Heck, I probably carry a thousand pounds of stuff in the bed of my truck and THEN all the stuff in the trailer - a lot. Remember, it's a 1/2 ton. ANYTHING added to the trailer or put in the truck will cut that payload down or diminish any margin you have in gvw, gawr etc.

Just understand a 1/2 ton, no matter what you think its "capabilities" are, runs out of "carrying" capacity at about 7-8k IMO; if you want to be safe and have an enjoyable towing experience. Don't believe the hype about what its "towing" abilities are, they're pure BS. Some will tell you they are pulling the Titanic with a rubber band powered scooter and nothing could be better...believe that at your own peril.

You're thinking you will have the most conservative pin weight of 1700 on the trailer...with a payload of less than 2500 lbs., and a family weight of 500 lbs. conservatively; that's 2200..conservatively then you have the 5th wheel hitch (100???), toys, gear, tools, etc. You just need to think about what's going on. If you ask anyone on here that has been towing for a while I guarantee there will be a hundred things that are needed on a trip you haven't thought about. I will say I carry at least triple the amount of weight I thought I would carry when I started.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #15
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Not being smart aleck but it's obvious you've never 1) pulled a trailer with a dry weight of 8000 lbs.- then loaded, with a 1/2 ton (been there, done that), and 2) don't know what you don't know about what you are going to carry. Heck, I probably carry a thousand pounds of stuff in the bed of my truck and THEN all the stuff in the trailer - a lot. Remember, it's a 1/2 ton. ANYTHING added to the trailer or put in the truck will cut that payload down or diminish any margin you have in gvw, gawr etc.

Just understand a 1/2 ton, no matter what you think its "capabilities" are, runs out of "carrying" capacity at about 7-8k IMO; if you want to be safe and have an enjoyable towing experience. Don't believe the hype about what its "towing" abilities are, they're pure BS. Some will tell you they are pulling the Titanic with a rubber band powered scooter and nothing could be better...believe that at your own peril.

You're thinking you will have the most conservative pin weight of 1700 on the trailer...with a payload of less than 2500 lbs., and a family weight of 500 lbs. conservatively; that's 2200..conservatively then you have the 5th wheel hitch (100???), toys, gear, tools, etc. You just need to think about what's going on. If you ask anyone on here that has been towing for a while I guarantee there will be a hundred things that are needed on a trip you haven't thought about. I will say I carry at least triple the amount of weight I thought I would carry when I started.
Yup. I get lost as to where I am in the thread. But the fifth wheel has an unusual amount of ccc. We won’t use it all. Or even half of it. 2067 lbs? Nope. It just is not that big, and we don’t need to pack more than a small suitcase each. Kitchen utensils, coffee maker, pots, pans, flatware, fishing pole, yada yada. 500 lbs maybe. Two ebikes on the bumper will subtract pin weight, but weigh about 150 with the rack. Real world pin weight should come in around 1700, I’m pretty convinced of it.
Hitch is 40 lbs for the Andersen, 40 lbs for the B&W goose ball that it attaches to.
Wife, Myself, Dog, camera and crackers 500
Hitch 80
King pin 1700

2280. Payload is 2450
170 lbs headroom left.
That’s 200 INSIDE the envelope.

But again, how is a payload sticker, and tow ratings “hype”? I love a great discussion, but it cannot be based on alternative facts. Is it hype if the payload numbers are on a one ton? The truck i question basically has the rear axle of a 250, extra leaf springs, different shocks, thicker frame, taller gears, nearly 500 ft lbs torque etc. Is that all hype?
Old 11-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #16
FBO Cookie Monster

The funny thing, the part that is incredibly ironic, is that if it were a diesel 250, we would not even be having this discussion! Everyone would be like “ party on man, nice rig”, and YET that truck would be 300 pounds deeper in the hole, if not more!
Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #17
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:

You know what is super, super funny?
I just looked up the payload of a 2014 RAM 6.4. 1900 lbs??? Is that right? If so....... And you’re towing WHAT? The reality is you are likely WAY over loaded, and I’m making sure I am inside the envelope! What are your numbers? Not being a smart alec, I am just curious. BTW, the F150 has a significant advantage in torque over the 6.4!

EDIT: Sorry. Thought you’re towing a fifth wheel. But: Dry hitch near 1000, hitch, and how much in your truck? If you really have a payload under 2k, it is likely that it is outside the envelope.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #18
meaz93*

You just need to find that happy medium in a trailer that your wife & family can live with for a while.
My first trailer was a stick and tin Springdale 291KSSR with 1 superslide .....but we kept it for 8 great camping seasons.
Keep looking, you'll find one!Click image for larger version

Name:	20150712_112059.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	19293
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #19
WestCoastWanderer

OK, you asked on whether I'd buy the Jayco or the Cougar. Buy the Cougar. Great trailer! Then, enjoy your purchase.
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:44 AM   #20
spade117

Quote:
You know what is super, super funny?
I just looked up the payload of a 2014 RAM 6.4. 1900 lbs??? Is that right? If so....... And you’re towing WHAT? The reality is you are likely WAY over loaded, and I’m making sure I am inside the envelope! What are your numbers? Not being a smart alec, I am just curious. BTW, the F150 has a significant advantage in torque over the 6.4!

EDIT: Sorry. Thought you’re towing a fifth wheel. But: Dry hitch near 1000, hitch, and how much in your truck? If you really have a payload under 2k, it is likely that it is outside the envelope.
From earlier in the thread:

Quote:
My HD has 3200 lbs of payload...

Tags
water