Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
WestCoastWanderer

Ram 1500 EcoDiesel - Yes or No?

Local dealer is giving away 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 EcoDiesels at 20K back of retail. I know the motor is not offered on 2019 1500s. Somehow, there are 100 or so available at the 20K discount, approximately 34K out the door. This motor was originally offered as a 4500 dollar option and now Ram appears to be giving them away. Why?

Does anybody have an opinion on this motor in the Ram? I know it's tow rating is a little lighter than the 5.7 Hemi gasser. Is the fuel economy that much better while towing? Any information on reliability? It's an Italian engine. Just trying to understand if the motor is all that, or something else. Thanks.
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:04 AM   #2
busterbrown

I'd suggest going over to the RAM owners forum ramforum.com and asking them. I'm on there frequently and I've seen plenty of ecodiesel threads regarding performance and towing questions. You'll get more answers I bet. Fuelly.com is a good resource to gauge how a vehicle lives up to the manufacturer's assigned MPGs.

BTW, 20K off sticker on that sticker price is extraordinarily great pricing. If I was in the market, I would highly consider it.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:09 AM   #3
Laredo Tugger

Found a forum/blog on ramforumz.com
The ramowners.com kept putting me on "rimowners". Whatever that is?
As for the eco-diesel,if they are "giving" these trucks away there must be reason. Many factors of which I have no knowledge involved here. A friend of mine has one and I have used it a few times for his business deliveries. Seems like a nice truck
Anyway,thanks.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastWanderer View Post
Local dealer is giving away 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 EcoDiesels at 20K back of retail. I know the motor is not offered on 2019 1500s. Somehow, there are 100 or so available at the 20K discount, approximately 34K out the door. This motor was originally offered as a 4500 dollar option and now Ram appears to be giving them away. Why?

Does anybody have an opinion on this motor in the Ram? I know it's tow rating is a little lighter than the 5.7 Hemi gasser. Is the fuel economy that much better while towing? Any information on reliability? It's an Italian engine. Just trying to understand if the motor is all that, or something else. Thanks.
I had one. Fuel economy was amazing. On the freeway i averaged about 28mpg. Towing my 7500 lbs trailer i averaged 15mpg. Mine had an issue with the air ride that fca couldn't fix so it went back. Bought a 2500. There is an ecodiesel forum you can check out. There have been since engine issues from 2015, but mine was solid. I haven't kept up with then since.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We have one member who had the same engine in a Jeep SUV. If I remember correctly, his engine either cracked a piston or blew a cylinder wall and was replaced under warranty. It messed up their plans to tow to Alaska, but they did make the trip the following year with that same Jeep as their tow vehicle. There's some comments from him on the forum about how "good the Jeep towed and how strong the diesel performed".

No comments from me about the performance of the truck/engine, but depending on the size of the trailer you're planning to tow, remember that the diesel weighs significantly more than a similar size gasoline engine, so payload comparisons will put the diesel powered truck lower in capability than the gas truck in weight carrying ability.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
zuley

I have been in the employ of a large Chrysler store for 35 years. Back in '15 when they anounced the introduction of the eco diesel I was all over the idea of ordering one myself. In hindsight I am thankful I did not. Pretty much every 15 we sold caused us grief. 3 major changes were made by the factory. 1. they changed the oil change interval to I believe 12,000 km. 2. the oil viscosity was changed to a lighter oil and 3. they changed the torque specifications on the crank bolts. At one point we were stocking the replacement engines. Can't remember the last time we sold an engine. After a period of not ordering in the eco diesels for the lot we have started stocking model year 18's again. The problems appear to have been corrected. Talking to a customer who tows with one the fuel economy and pulling power is fantastic compared to the hemi or the 3.5 ford for that matter. Given the need I would not hesitate to purchase one now. Stay away from 15 and 16 model years. Incidentally, we have never replaced one in a Jeep.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The member who posted about his Jeep diesel engine failure (FCA replaced the motor) was last on the forum in July, 2018. He may or may not return, but his account of the Jeep, Eco-Diesel failure begins in this thread: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=25540 He has since successfully completed his Alaska trip with the replacement diesel engine in his Jeep, so his "failure" turned into his "success".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:58 AM   #8
Fishsizzle

My good friend, who works on my older rigs, worked at the local Ram dealership previously.

We talked about this engine as he bought a new Jeep last year. He let me know that he wouldn’t own an eco Diesel as they kept spare engines on the shelf and replaced them regularly.

Same issues the Ford 6.4 had, fuel getting by engine rings during regen and causing oil dilution.

Anyway, it maybe fixed now, so this is just my observations from my conversations.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:16 AM   #9
KSH

My cousin has the ecodiesel in his jeep. No problems at all.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
BadmanRick

My question is why is the eco diesel not being offered for 2019. Chrysler would not stop selling this engine if it was a good engine. I would not buy a truck which the engine is not being offered any more.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Mtnvalleylover

Love my ECODiesel

I have a 2015 ECODiesel and love it. On the highway I get 28 mpg in town 17 and pulling my 7,500 (when Loaded) camper get 13.5 MPG .

I live in Colorado so I pull a lot of hills and it does just fine.
Truck 15 Ecodiesel Laramie trim with air suspension.

I have over 60,000 miles on the truck and had one issue when I was in Florida that was covered under the ext warranty. Something to do with the EGR tube that had a small crack.

Between the pulling power and the ride quality, I feel this is the best towing truck out there and so do most reviewers.

The only reason the 19 does not have this engine is they are still getting it certified with the EPA. Should be soon from what I have heard. A 2019 mule with the Ecodiesel has been spotted in Colorado testing.

I would buy a new one without hesitation.
Mtnvalleylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #12
Badbart56

A good friend who has worked at a dealer for 20 plus years told me to steer clear of the Eco Diesel. He didn't go into detail but I take him at his word.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
Wireman134

Eco Diesel is for economy. Not a towing platform like the big boys.
Wireman134 is offline   Reply With Quote