Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #21
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
3 years ago that's exactly what I said. But, when you're grandgirls move away from you and you have to go across the country to see them, and a busy RV park is the only place you can stay......you adapt
My granddaughter is on the east coast. A 6,000 mile minimum roundtrip dragging a trailer is not an option. We fly, which is bad enough.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #22
pawpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
My vote is for Rosie the riveter and her girlfriend work ethics to come out of retirement.
The real Rosie is still alive at 103 yrs and living on Long Island,N.Y. they showed her on the news the other day.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
My granddaughter is on the east coast. A 6,000 mile minimum roundtrip dragging a trailer is not an option. We fly, which is bad enough.
Having had to fly for work until I said "no more" I won't fly unless there is an emergency. We are retired and time is something we have to kill/pass. 6000 miles would just be a more extended trip that we normally take. As I was discussing with a friend that just returned from a long trip using air miles....when you enter the secure zone you literally give away your rights; ain't happening here again unless I just can't get around it. The very last trip I took on a plane; went through the little detector; it went off; I explained I had 2 artificial joints and a long steel rod in my leg. Off to the side I went to be put under "the wand". Questions, looks, stupidity. Finally after almost having to strip I was allowed to go....at least I spoke a few words explaining their absolute stupidity and absurdity. Anyway, I have no need for that in my life.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #24
BooHyde

There are 1500 coaches a day getting shipped out of Indiana alone right now, industry wide. Business is booming. They are slapping RV's together as fast as they can, and mistakes are being made. As ctbruce just said, make sure someone is doing a thorough PDI when you purchase one.
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:38 AM   #25
notanlines

Boo, at first glance your 1500 figure seemed pretty high. However I pulled up RVIA latest statistics and this what they said:
RV Shipments Hit January High
Total shipments for the month were 33,859 units. That represents a 7.4% rise from the January 2016 total of 31,526 units and a 2.7% gain over last month's robust total of 32,970.
All towable RVs, led by conventional travel trailers, rose 6.2% in January reaching a total of 28,931 units. Motorhome shipments reached 4,928 units on 15.2% growth paced by Type C and Type B motorhomes.
I realize this is country-wide, but ALOT of units, nonetheless.
Sure put a large number of grey haired old ladies to work!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:43 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Little Old Ladies Building RVs?

Just got this, this morning from RVDA
Quote:
Goshen News
RV shipments in February grew 9.7 percent year-over-year, according to numbers released by the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association. Last month’s total of 39,428 units compares with 35,929 units in February 2016. February’s shipments were also 8.6 percent higher than January’s total of 33,859 units. In fact, February’s total was the best for any comparable February on record, according to the RVIA.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #27
takpak

Agree with the uptick in sales. Our local dealer, Curtis Trailers, has set two new records for themselves at the RV shows. Last fall, they sold over 230 units. This spring, they sold over 260 new units, setting another record for themselves. Having just bought a new 3810, I can attest that while most everything is pretty good, there are lots of "little" items that I myself have taken care of. No big deal, keeps me from getting bored.
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #28
Webefulltime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Okay, let me start by clearing stating I'm pro-little old lady. After all, who wouldn't be? But in my second year of Keystone Hideout ownership I'm finding that everything is loose! Any plumbing fitting, co-ax cable attachment, hinge or anything else that should be tight...... Isn't!!! I know things can rattle loose but this seems pretty ridiculous.

In the last 2 times out I've had water leaking from the underside - loose fitting behind the city water connection, no signal from the antenna - loose co-ax at the back of the plate, bad signal at the bedroom TV - more loose co-ax, falling window blinds - loose screws, entry door not latching - loose screws on the latch and plastic "fenders" falling off - more loose screws.

It's almost as though the people building these things are toying with our minds

I'm starting to understand more why so many folks complain about having a lemon. If I didn't know how to chase down problems and fix things I'd go absolutely nuts.
It all comes down to the dealer PDI or lack of it! My dealer hooks up the unit for 2-3 days and has his crew thoroughly check everything and make any needed corrections. I have bought 2 new Montanas from them and neither had problems as mentioned above.
Webefulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #29
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
If little old ladies were building these RV's I think the quality control and workmanship would be much better. I think work release druggies are building most of them!
Yeah. Take a tour at a Keystone plant on the 2nd shift. My first reaction was...dang the Mennonites and Amish are sure into green hair and tattoos.
Not trying to offend anyone on here...just saying what I saw.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefulltime View Post
It all comes down to the dealer PDI or lack of it! My dealer hooks up the unit for 2-3 days and has his crew thoroughly check everything and make any needed corrections. I have bought 2 new Montanas from them and neither had problems as mentioned above.
I will second that.. it is ALL about the dealer, I bought a new trailer from a very large Texas dealer with multiple facilities... lots of ads on TV and tons of issues with things that should have been caught at dealer PDI... But after the major pain of taking more than 45 days to repair a leaking valve on the black tank, which leaked the first day... then being asked to pay for the repair... I never went back. I either did the repairs myself or used a local mobile repair guy..

When we bought our Cougar I went to a small dealer in a small town who has a great reputation for being a straight shooter, without any BS... great guy, great service and he wouldn't let us leave without demonstrating that every little thing worked properly and how to make it work.

Javi