Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2017, 06:11 AM   #1
reddog7571

Black Water Dump Hose

What's the recommendation for dump hoses?
reddog7571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Lots of choices, and prices. I can say this is sort of a you get what you pay for kind of thing. I don't have the high priced stuff like Rhino because IMO keeping the hose clean and dry when not in use will help it last a long time. I haven't bought any replacement hose in the last 10 years.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #3

Rhino is nice tho, for me worth the little bit xtra. Prob won't buy another anytime soon. The accordion style makes it great for storage, set up, basically everything. You can make it any length you need and it stays. And folds up nice and tight for storage and handling. Wouldn't use anything else. Get the kit with the caps and it's completely mess free.
336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Besides initial selection/purchase of a sewer hose, as with other things the overall care will play a big part in how long they last. I suggest you do a forum search on say "sewer hose" as well as "sewer hose storage". Some great mods addressing such topics as "where do I keep this thing" Yes, there are Ford/Chevy discussions.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #5
L0veless

if your just getting started I would also suggest one of those clear adapters (there are many) that attach between the dump connection and hose so you can see what's going on.
L0veless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0veless View Post
if your just getting started I would also suggest one of those clear adapters (there are many) that attach between the dump connection and hose so you can see what's going on.
I saw someone mention adding a secondary, twist on valve, which seems like a good idea, given the stories I have read about folks figuring out the waste valves were already open or leaking when they took the cap off to hook up the hose

I am seriously thinking of adding one to my dumping products collection (Rhino flex host, with caps, clear adapter, disposable gloves, etc)

-Brian
Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I saw someone mention adding a secondary, twist on valve, which seems like a good idea, given the stories I have read about folks figuring out the waste valves were already open or leaking when they took the cap off to hook up the hose

I am seriously thinking of adding one to my dumping products collection (Rhino flex host, with caps, clear adapter, disposable gloves, etc)

-Brian
Yeap, IMO this valve is a "MUST HAVE" you never know when you are going to experience a leaking valve We have some posts out there, do a search, discussing leaking valves, this twist on valve , etc. When shopping seen this twist on valve and thought BOY this is neat. A few trips after that started to have issues with the black tank valve, which ended up being a faulty cable (previous thread/post). Without that twist on it would have been interesting opening the sewer termination cap.

Another thing to consider is where to store the sewer apparatus

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #8
mtofell

I've read this before and it's pretty much what I do - I have one hose that is my regular and an extra in the rare instances that I need to cover a longer than typical distance. When the "main" hose starts to get worn I move the backup into first position and get a new one for the backup. They both slide into the rear bumper - Main hose comes out the driver's side where the dump is and backup comes out the other side (or can be pushed through to the driver's side with a broomstick of similar). Pick a brand and stick with it so everything fits together. Don't go cheap. Don't chew your nails while dumping
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:05 PM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I've read this before and it's pretty much what I do - I have one hose that is my regular and an extra in the rare instances that I need to cover a longer than typical distance. When the "main" hose starts to get worn I move the backup into first position and get a new one for the backup. They both slide into the rear bumper - Main hose comes out the driver's side where the dump is and backup comes out the other side (or can be pushed through to the driver's side with a broomstick of similar). Pick a brand and stick with it so everything fits together. Don't go cheap. Don't chew your nails while dumping
Here is one of the many threads out there related to sewer hoses and storage ideas for them. There are a couple sewer hose storage mods including what I did. The only concern I would have based on campers that I talked to was storing their hose in their bumper. Water from the hose gets in the bumper causing rust, which in some cases actually rusted all the way through the bumper. then you are pushing/pulling your sewer hose against the rough surface inside the bumper

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #10
reddog7571

PARAPTOR,
So, how do you store your dump hose. I've already been told about the bumper idea, and unless I could paint the inside with a bed liner type material, I'd have to agree with the rusted out bumper idea.
reddog7571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Here's a thread about a good idea. You have to scroll down a bit. I'm doing the fence post add this spring. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=25484

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #12
Thundershorts

Avoid using the bumper if you can. I put my sewer hoses and connections in a Rubbermaid container in the storage area, right beside the rubber gloves. One of the trailers I had, had a plastic holder built in that the hose slid into. I thought it was a good idea because the bumper wouldn't rust, but, I ended up with holes in my sewer hose from sliding it in and out.
There are a lot of great posts about sewer hose holders made out of plastic fence posts and eavestrough. This is one mod I will be doing to our trailer.
Thundershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog7571 View Post
PARAPTOR,
So, how do you store your dump hose. I've already been told about the bumper idea, and unless I could paint the inside with a bed liner type material, I'd have to agree with the rusted out bumper idea.
Sorry thought I had added a few links. I have added a vinyl fence post type system as described in my previous posts. To locate my mod as well as other member sewer hose storage implementations, do a forum search on say sewer hose. There is a lot of Forum info on this subject. Below are two that I randomly pulled out:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...r+hose+storage

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...r+hose+storage

Pick one, Take Care

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #14
Hometown

Second the idea on the rubbermaid. I have a tote with a latchable lid that all of the waste plumbing (elbows,caps,hose,gloves,etc..) parts go into . Keeps them separate and all in one spot.
Hometown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #15
Pull Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0veless View Post
Or what's "Goin' Down!" (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I've had good luck with a mid priced hose, Camco comes to mind. The cheap blue hose the give you with the "starter set" is only there because they probably can't sell it. The clear connector is great... not pretty... byt neither is the job at hand. A clean tank is a happy tank!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

I read these posts about sewer hose storage with interest. This is our 4th summer on this trailer and I've always kept our sewer hose in the bumper. No rust, no problems. I do have caps on both ends with seals. I've not had any issues with any other trailer, but then again, I didn't keep them for extended periods.

What DOES really interest me is the theory of pulling/pushing the hose into the bumper degrading the hose itself. After our hose failure earlier on the trip to FL I can only think that the sliding in the bumper caused that.

With that in mind I determined that I'm going to eliminate the movement of the hose itself across a surface. Many great ideas have been put forth and I was going to try one of them......then, I had a revelation; why not use something in the bumper? Space is already there for it. I don't need another box filled with sewer hose in the storage area and I'm too lazy (until it gets warm) to try to fabricate something to attach to the trailer. What I'm thinking is to make a tray out of vinyl rain gutter that just slides into the bumper with the hose in it. I've got a section of the gutter so I think I'll try that out. Don't know if anyone has ever tried that before. I'll give it a whirl and let you know what happens.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #17
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Guess I am not sure exactly what you are asking. The majority of the references in my previous post including my sewer mod address the use of a gutter inside a container to avoid sliding the actual hose in the container. Basically hose is put in the gutter which is then slid into the container avoiding wear to the actual hose.

The majority if not all those mods in those references had no bumpers therefore we needed to attach a container to the rig. Most containers were either pvs round pipe or square 4 or 5" vinyl fence post. Again gutter were inserted in some containers.

No I do not remember any posts addressing gutter inserts into the bumper. Reason maybe bumper size?? In my implementation I use a 4x4" fence post and the gutter just fits in there and the viper sewer hose connection just fits it the gutter.

So I would say if your bumper is 4x4 or larger, I see no problems.

UPDATED:Correction that referenced 4x4 is actually 5x5
Old 03-16-2017, 03:58 AM   #18
notanlines

Keep in mind that the little wear spots on your hose come from the hose vibrating against the steel in the bumper. Whatever you do needs to address that issue. I had to go to a 5x5 white plastic fence post from Loew's. The 4x4 was just too small.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #19
Dave W

We have been using the Camco Revolution sewer hoses with good luck. Last fall the current one developed a couple pinhole leaks after about 3 years of fairly heavy use. This year we will be using their RhinoFlex hose. It only costs a few bucks more for a 20' length so decided it was worth a try.

Looking for that replacement did find something I really hadn't considered and that being some of the 'premium' hoses like the Valterra line, once they are extended don't like to retract.

Our hoses and fittings are carried in a good sized plastic bin, as the rear bumper is just not large enough for some fittings or my usual 20 feet of hose. I also purchased a nice plastic hose carrier to use but I didn't do my homework well enough as the available mounting area on the belly of our 5er really is not very good. It turns out to be a good, big fishing pole carrier instead, and mounted to the basement ceiling.

And that supplemental valve - a Valterra - gets left in place at all times including during travel. It doesn't hang out beyond the side and saves me getting a smelly bath when attaching the stinky slinky if the on-board valves, as ours will on occasion, seep.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #20
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Keep in mind that the little wear spots on your hose come from the hose vibrating against the steel in the bumper. Whatever you do needs to address that issue. I had to go to a 5x5 white plastic fence post from Loew's. The 4x4 was just too small.
Thanks, I stand corrected just checked my lowes slip my fence post was a 5x5x96 #17708 $22.47 less VA discount

Again notanlines

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)

Tags
water