Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
unyalli

Hello from 6200 ft.

Hello Keystone people. Finally found that hidden wonder a light weight fifth wheel toyhauler the Cougar 326SRX. I understand why Keystone does not list it under toyhaulers as it's not a garage on wheels. All the light weight haulers I've found are conventional tow and just a big open box. This bad boy is actually a very nice fifth wheel that happens to have the ability to haul one toy, my RZR. My current TT is a boondocking success with large battery bank, functional conver/charger, and portable solar. I have the twin stack Champion 2000i's with parallel kit and usually only need to run one in econ mode for a couple hours in the morning. Last 6 day outing I used just 4 gallons of fuel and that includes 3 hours of the twins running the AC one very hot afternoon.

Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
sptddog

I totally love this floor plan - I just wish it had the two happi jack beds in the back like their other toy haulers do. I wanted that extra bed space. I keep looking at true toy haulers and I just don't need the fuel stations and generators. We want to take bikes, maybe 4-wheelers here and there, and our canoe, but we don't really dry camp a ton and don't need the extra cost or features. The cougar is just shy of perfect (shy being the lack of that extra bed lol!). I wish there were more 'hybrid' toy haulers like this for families that want to take toys, but don't need a full blown garage on wheels.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
unyalli

I assume happy jack beds are the ones that come down from the ceiling? I plan on removing the fold down couch/bed on the door side to gain room then fold down the other one and put a nice air mattress on top of it. The only thing I find completely useless in this floor plan is the loft.

Searched all the Thor and Forest River lines and affiliates and this is the only unit out there like this. Unreal. At least I found it, now to sell my boondocker and get one of these.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Welcome from sea level. How is the air up there??? Good luck with your search, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
sptddog

I've looked too - nothing else like it. We're not in the market this year, maybe next summer, so maybe more will arise.

The happi-jacks are the ones that come down from the ceiling yes....I have a boy and girl set, and I was really hoping to let my older one have the loft (and hopefully there is enough room for two kids for when she get older and brings friends), and the younger to have the upper happi-jack bed (also eventually with friend). I really like beds that stay made all the time - if I use the seating area in the garage as a bed, I have to make and put it away each day, and that will drive me nuts (because the kids certainly won't do it...sigh).
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
unyalli

I'm off to the Mississippi river tomorrow and 797ft above sea level. Trading my Rockwood on a 2014 Cougar 326SRX Saturday. Will be interesting to see the difference in power in my 6.2L as I drop altitude. Even more interesting when I head back with an additional 4000lb's of trailer and gain altitude.

Jeff
Old 09-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #7
unyalli

Here she is!

Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Nice looking combo ...... How was the uphill run in the thin air?????
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
unyalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Nice looking combo ...... How was the uphill run in the thin air?????
Was interesting. I had the privilege of driving into an eastern wind all the way to Eldridge then a western wind most of the way back. The loss of power was not seriously apparent till the 5000 foot and up range. The roller coaster of Iowa will wear you out chasing the up and down shifts to maintain a steady speed. If memory serves the highest point I saw in Iowa was 1200 feet so power was enough to pull most hills in 4th at 65 mph. There was a couple required 3rd but at higher altitudes most would have required third and probably 60 mph. When the wind died down around the middle of Nebraska and the road leveled out I was able to pull 5th at 60mph nicely relaxed. This is where I saw my best fuel economy of 8.9 mpg.

The aerodynamics of the new rig over the old is astounding. With 5000lbs more weight behind me I was achieving at least a half a gallon per mile better mpg. With the old rig the wind came off the cab then down the 8' tonneau cover then down into a 6' span before hitting the billboard front end of the rockwood. With the Cougar sitting up over the bed of the truck and the far more aerodynamic front end profile the difference was dramatic.

The last 100 miles from Sidney to Cheyenne you climb 2000 foot. I had a "breeze" from the south and did this climb at 60 mph mostly in 4th with a few 3rd gear pulls on the long steeper uphill grades.

Over all I'm completely satisfied with my boss 6.2L and 3.73 gears. The new Cougar is a very nice upgrade except the demon panel.

By the way, the Cougar is 38.25' long from rear bumper to point of front cap.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
2014Fuzion300

Nice combo!
Enjoy it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
unyalli

Thank You sir
Old 11-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
minnie530

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Thank You sir
Just wondering how you are making out with the F250 and 326SRX combo? We are thinking of doing the same... We already have the 2012 F250 and haul a 285BH Sundance actual feet 32, dry weight on label says 8166 lbs dry weight (brochure says 7580 lbs) cargo cap at 3366 lbs and we have no concerns at all. The 326SRX states about 1000lbs more then that but you have to wonder how true the labels are.

Hal

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1056.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	4468
minnie530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
unyalli

It's been at the storage lot since I got it home so no updates from previous post. Probably have to wait for spring to install the solar, inverter, and generator systems.