Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #21
Bolo4u

Not to hijack, but I'm have a question related to this. Last year when we purchased the 5r, I could hear a fan at the rear of the refer come on every 15-20 minutes due to it being warm outside. once it cooled down over winter, i didn't hear the fan come on. Now that its warmed up again, i can hear the fan come on every 15-20 minutes... I did some checking and its an external fan at the back of the refer, somewhere between the freezer portion and fridge. I can't see it due to a thin piece of wood spanning the opening. When I take off the outer grill cover, it seems to shut off fairly quickly, like the airflow is better. I attached a pic, does it look right or should I cut the wood to allow more airflow adjacent to the vent grills in the outer vent cover?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5092.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	12763  
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

That thin piece of wood is a baffle and an important part of the cooling process. It is there to "force" the flow of air across the fins at the top. The fan(S) are usually controlled by a thermostatic switch mounted on the cooling unit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #23
Double b

Added the fans on the inside. Do fans added to back side really help? It makes sense. Basically how an indoor unit works. Hell the newer fridge the fans don't cycle off.

So the real question is, where can u get the kit?

If it's the same price as the inside kit off eBay for $20 ish. I'd add it to keep the milk cold, seeing kids never seam to keep the door closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Fans on the exterior rear will move more air across the cooling unit helping it cool more. Fans on th interior will circulate the cold air like that in a residential fridge. The newer 4 door NorCold units have interior fans built in.

Exterior fans are common on units installed in slides as the free flow of hot air is disturbed by the roof of the slide. Refers installed on a fixed wall have a "straight shot" to the roof to vent the hot air.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #25
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It should auto relight. I think it needs 3 failures to set the check light. Every PDI, I watch the flame light and then I blow it out to test the auto feature. If yours isn't relighting automatically there's an issue.
It seems to happen, mostly, when it is windy out.

On our recent trip coming home, this past Tuesday, it was really windy in the TX panhandle and the fridge required resetting at gas stops in Amarillo & Wichita Falls, but was fine when we stopped in Raton NM and Denton TX.

I think it get blown out enough to miss the 3 count and then needs to be reset.

-Brian
Old 05-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
Double b

Quote:
Fans on the exterior rear will move more air across the cooling unit helping it cool more. Fans on th interior will circulate the cold air like that in a residential fridge. The newer 4 door NorCold units have interior fans built in.

Exterior fans are common on units installed in slides as the free flow of hot air is disturbed by the roof of the slide. Refers installed on a fixed wall have a "straight shot" to the roof to vent the hot air.

So will this help the fridge stay cold? Found on ebay a kit for under 30. So cost is not a big deal. Seeing I'm handy, installation is not a big deal. So does it truly help?

Old 05-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #27
Jeepshots

What kit did you find?
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #28
Bolo4u

Quote:
That thin piece of wood is a baffle and an important part of the cooling process. It is there to "force" the flow of air across the fins at the top. The fan(S) are usually controlled by a thermostatic switch mounted on the cooling unit.
I do see the little thermostat attached to the fin.. I guess my concern/question is it seems to cycle on and off a lot, and I can hear it from the inside of the coach, which is annoying.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #29
Double b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepshots View Post
What kit did you find?

ebay.com/itm/181871185989?_mwBanner=1

I bought the inside fridge kit (eBay item # 370591777926) from them. Was ok to install. Just unhook battery and power before wiring in. I blew the 3amp fuse on the board because I though I was better than I am.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #30
GreyCamper

Hello Gearhead,

I would not add any fans.

You may have noticed there is a little drain hose in the fridge vent outside. It has a small cap on it to prevent bugs crawling into this tube. This tube takes condensation from inside your fridge and drains the water outside. In over 90% of the trailers that I have seen, this hose goes straight down from the back of the fridge to the outside vent. Basically, you have a open hose that runs from the inside of your fridge to outside, taking in that heat from outside. The fix for this is quite simple. Open the fridge vent door outside and reroute the tube such that it creates a p-trap. Open the fridge and pour some water in the drain tube from within the fridge until the water comes out outside. The filled p-trap will stop hot air from entering your fridge. Your fridge is going to work real nice now. PS. I wish I had 90+ days here also
GreyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #31
GreyCamper

Gearhead,

I did a reply about the drain tube in the fridge. I don't see it posted here (I am new to this forum). Maybe I sent you the message directly, If so, please post my description here since it will help the others with similar issues.
GreyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic