Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
Tbos

3910fb & 3911fb?

We saw a rig similar to this at an RV show yesterday. Really like it. It is now on our short list for a future upgrade to a 5er. Looking for thoughts, ideas, etc... with rigs this big and or particularly with this particular 5er. I already have a 1 ton DRW in the plans too.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
jshupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
We saw a rig similar to this at an RV show yesterday. Really like it. It is now on our short list for a future upgrade to a 5er. Looking for thoughts, ideas, etc... with rigs this big and or particularly with this particular 5er. I already have a 1 ton DRW in the plans too.

We have the Alpine "equivalent", the 3730FB. It has a slightly higher overall weight, but lower pin weight, and is a foot and a half shorter at 38'11". We absolutely love the floor plan. I'd look at it as well, but doubt you can go wrong with either. Looking at the Montana, I do like the additional overhead storage they have over the couch that the Alpine does not, however that is at the expense of headroom and window size. The floor plans are very similar otherwise, the only other notable difference in the floor plan being the use of sliding doors in the Montana vs traditional doors in the Alpine.

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD w/ Kelderman 4-Link & 19.5 LRH tires
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB w/ Titan disc brakes and LRG tires
KG5PTC 146.520 7.245 mobile
Build and travel blog
jshupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post

That front bath is a nice floor plan with lots of room for changing. We saw one of them at the KC RV show. Also saw one with front window and couch in the bedroom - what a waste but each there own.

You are probably smart going with a DRW since it probably over SRW 1 ton payload capacity.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #4
jshupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
That front bath is a nice floor plan with lots of room for changing. We saw one of them at the KC RV show. Also saw one with front window and couch in the bedroom - what a waste but each there own.

You are probably smart going with a DRW since it probably over SRW 1 ton payload capacity.
I towed ours with a 2015 2500HD + airbags + 275/65r20 tires, which should handle very similar to a 3500HD SRW, which has an extra overload (substituted here with airbags) and different tire size with similar sidewall height. I only did it a couple times before deciding major upgrades were in order. I agree with the recommendation for a DRW if you want a turnkey truck that will be within sticker ratings.

Build and travel blog
Old 01-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshupe View Post
I towed ours with a 2015 2500HD + airbags + 275/65r20 tires, which should handle very similar to a 3500HD SRW, which has an extra overload (substituted here with airbags) and different tire size with similar sidewall height. I only did it a couple times before deciding major upgrades were in order. I agree with the recommendation for a DRW if you want a turnkey truck that will be within sticker ratings.
I not sure what you are saying here. You have a truck that has a lower payload rating then the 5er dry pin weight of 2485 lbs. Then you add a hitch, people and stuff in the truck. Plus you adding weight to your 5er that Tow Planner estimates at 3204 http://towingplanner.com/Estimators/...8&lw=14368&a=3 and that would put you well out of the 1 ton diesel SRW weights and firmly into the DRW and all you did is switch tires and add airbags. WOW

Believe me GM would though you under the bus here is what GM states about exceeding you GVWR http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/u...ht-rating.html
Old 01-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
mtofell

Quote:
I not sure what you are saying here. You have a truck that has a lower payload rating then the 5er dry pin weight of 2485 lbs. Then you add a hitch, people and stuff in the truck. Plus you adding weight to your 5er that Tow Planner estimates at 3204 http://towingplanner.com/Estimators/...8&lw=14368&a=3 and that would put you well out of the 1 ton diesel SRW weights and firmly into the DRW and all you did is switch tires and add airbags. WOW

Believe me GM would though you under the bus here is what GM states about exceeding you GVWR http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/u...ht-rating.html
Physically/functionally a 250 is the EXACT same truck as a 350 except for some rear suspension beef which is easily made up for in the form of airbags in this case. I know all about door stickers, manufacturer's payload ratings and such. For the purposes of this comparison a SRW 250 is the same thing as a 350. Again, save your breath, I know the door sticker and manufacturer payload ratings.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
Tbos

Quote:
We have the Alpine "equivalent", the 3730FB. It has a slightly higher overall weight, but lower pin weight, and is a foot and a half shorter at 38'11". We absolutely love the floor plan. I'd look at it as well, but doubt you can go wrong with either. Looking at the Montana, I do like the additional overhead storage they have over the couch that the Alpine does not, however that is at the expense of headroom and window size. The floor plans are very similar otherwise, the only other notable difference in the floor plan being the use of sliding doors in the Montana vs traditional doors in the Alpine.

Thanks I'll check out the Alpine 3730Fb too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Tbos

If we can focus on my original questions about the floor plan and problems or issues with this rig or others this size I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #9
jshupe

Quote:

Someone else already commented on this, but the differences between 2011+ 2500HD and 3500HD SRW trucks are only upper overloads and tire options. Air bags and tires effectively turn a 2500HD into a 3500HD SRW, and there are a ton of people who run them that way. For the sake of the post you quoted, I was just saying that is how I brought it home.

I'm still pulling with the 2500HD, and my current modifications make my truck far closer to a DRW than a 3500HD SRW, despite what the sticker says. If you can provide some technical points to dispute that, I'd love to hear them. But otherwise, keep stickers out of the conversation. I agreed with you when it came to recommending them a DRW for a turn key and legal solution. That does not mean that it is, in any way, the only solution from a technical perspective. It amazes me how many people use a placard rather than physics to determine what their rig can do. I don't go around promoting that people tow outside or beyond the limits on their stickers, but my rig is perfectly capable and safe thanks to criteria that wasn't applicable when my sticker was printed.

Going off the page you linked:
  1. Broken springs and suspension components due to excess weight

I have completely replaced the rear suspension. My rear suspension is rated to safely handle over 2K more than the suspension a factory DRW comes with. The 4-Link geometry with panhard bar provides much more lateral stability than leafs. Front suspension is identical to the 3500HD, except I have stronger upper control arms, pitman/idler arm supports, and tie rods.

2. Brakes unable to stop the truck or SUV in a timely manner

My brakes are the same as a DRW. I also have discs instead of drums on my trailer. My rig will stop in considerably less distance than yours.

3. Transmission and other driveline components may overheat and sustain serious damage

My transmission and driveline are the same as a DRW.

4. Unusual suspension behavior, making the vehicle hard to control

I have completely replaced the rear suspension. My rear suspension is rated to safely handle over 2K more than the suspension a factory DRW comes with. The 4-Link geometry with panhard bar provides much more lateral stability than leafs. Front suspension is identical to the 3500HD, except I have stronger upper control arms, pitman/idler arm supports, and tie rods.

5. Tire temperatures rising to elevated levels, potentially leading to a blowout

My commercial LRG tires have similar lateral stability to dual LRE tires, and are designed for sustained loads of 4940#/ea, which is far more than is on them. Between the increased lateral stability of the suspension over your DRW, and the comparable lateral stability of the tires, my truck handles as stable or more stable than yours.

As you can see, I've addressed all of GM's own concerns. Sorry to derail the conversation, Op.

Build and travel blog
Old 01-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Tbos, sounds like a nice plan. I can't comment on the trailers, but others will and have. Good luck and I hope it all happens as you plan it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
CWSWine

Quote:

As you can see, I've addressed all of GM's own concerns. Sorry to derail the
conversation, Op.
Except one "Easily found on a label placed inside the driver’s door jamb, the GVWR figure is the maximum weight a GMC truck or SUV is engineered to safely carry." also in the link LOL
Old 01-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #12
jshupe

Quote:
Except one "Easily found on a label placed inside the driver’s door jamb, the GVWR figure is the maximum weight a GMC truck or SUV is engineered to safely carry." also in the link LOL
Can you provide any technical arguments for your position, or are you only going to point to the sticker?

Build and travel blog
Old 01-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #13
Javi

Quote:
Can you provide any technical arguments for your position, or are you only going to point to the sticker?
The point you seem to be missing is that the "sticker" is going to prevail at the scale and in court.

Your arguments, while on a practical basis correct, will not save you in court.

As a note... the opposite can apply in some cases. I've seen weight tickets issued to heavy trucks who had registered for less weight to avoid taxes and then got caught hauling more.

Javi
Old 01-14-2017, 09:23 PM   #14
jshupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The point you seem to be missing is that the "sticker" is going to prevail at the scale and in court.

Your arguments, while on a practical basis correct, will not save you in court.

Javi
I never made any argument otherwise. In fact, I recommended to the op to go with a 3500HD DRW to ensure legal compliance.

As for the courts, my truck is registered for 12K (DMV laughed me off because I'm not commercial, actually had to fight for this), my insurance company is well aware of my modifications and weights, and I have a large umbrella policy on top of it to cover any other litigation, so I'm not overly concerned about it. I've said on here I'd have gone for a DRW if I were to do it all over again because of the amount of money involved and the legal concerns. But at this point I have too much into my truck, and am happy with it, so I'm holding onto it for a while.

Build and travel blog
Old 01-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #15
Tbos

FWIW from the Keystone website it appears the alpine 3730FB &3731FB are no longer being built. The site says stock only. They do look like a very nice alternatives. Thanks.