Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
scchasgal

2015 Alpine 3536 converter location

We have searched high and low and can't find the converter in our fiver.

We are having sporatic electrical issues and have ruled out just about everything except looking and the converter connection. One of the ac units stops working and most of the outlets and the micro/conv. About an hour after being out it all comes back on. This is the third time camping in the unit and the first time these issues have come up.

Thanks for any help
scchasgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Check behind where your fuse/circuit box is. Ours has a removable panel on the back side of the cupboard and the converter is mounted on the floor directly behind the fuse/circuit breaker box. We have a different model, but they are usually pretty consistent with the thinking of where they mount them.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #3
frankyb01

On my 3450 the converter is also behind the c/b power panel. Had to remove the panel itself to get to it. However from the symptoms you described I suspect the converter is not the problem. It only powers the 12vdc items in the camper. I would start with the shore power cord. My microwave quit working on me, even though other items could be plugged into its outlet successfully. I unplugged the shore power cord from the camper, flexed the plug back and forth a few times, then plugged it back in. Presto, everything worked. After the trip was over I started investigating with a multimeter. It turned out that one of my power leads was shorting to the neutral lead at the plug. It was a very slight short. Less the 1 Ohm on the meter. I had to play with the cord a bit to get it to show up. I have seen at least two other members on the forum have similar problems with their cords. It only takes a hairline crack in the plastic of the plug itself, or a few loose strands of wire from one lead making contact with another lead due to poor assembly to create the problem. The fact that is intermittant makes it harder to find.
U.S.A.F. (ret.) 1976-1996
frankyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Agree! If you are having problems in the A/C, the 110vac outlets, and the microwave, then the convertor is not the place to start. It converts 110vac to 12vdc which runs the lighting, the pump, the control board in the fridge, and so on. The convertor should have its own breaker. Shut that off, and you should continue to see the problems you are reporting.

It's possible that there may be an issue in the breaker panel's 220/110 side; loose connections, tripped breaker, and more. And, as pointed out, you've got to start with the connection to shore power and work into the trailer from there.

The issues you are having can be troubleshot by any competent electrician, presuming that his eyes don't glaze over when you say "RV." Anyone who is well acquainted with residential wiring should also be able to sort this out. It's the same stuff they work on every day.

Edit to add, since it all happened on your third trip out, it may be that the campground's power is suspect. That's more common than you think. Did you test the power post before connecting? It's not a guarantee that you won't have intermittents, but it's always a good practice to know that you are hooking up to a properly wired source.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
Pull Toy

I agree that 110v issues are not converter related.

It would seem to be a campground issue as Steve suggested. The easiest way to prove this is to check the power post when you go dark. If it is not providing power... you won't get any. If it turns out to be the camper, make it your dealers problem. A 2015 is still under warranty, and any tampering done by non factory "TRAINED" (and I use the term loosely!) personnel might void any warranty. They (not only Keystone) will use any excuse.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote