Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
theasphaltrv'er

Restringing Day/night shade.

4 Kuddos to this company...Unitedshade

FWIW....
5er just out of warranty by a month, one of the cords broke on the big rear window (4 cord) single shade. Thought I'd have to hassle with the dealer & try to find info bout who makes the shade and how to get new cord, but low & behold, after I took it off the wall it had the name of the manufacturer on it so I googled em and got a phone #. Called em and told them what color & cord size and they had new cord in the mail & it arrived within 2 days. They were extremely helpful. Had to buy 50ft but it only cost me $7.50 + shipping. DW & I had the shade restrung and hanging back up in about an hour. It even hangs straight and actually works like it is suppose to. Beats having to spend hundreds of bucks for a new shade + we now have extra cord just in case others break.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Alpine

Good for you! Nothing feels better that a DIY project. Just an FYI...I have restrung most of ours day/night shades as the grommets inside the blinds are rough and break down the strings over time. My cure for this manufacturing defect is 300# braided fishing line! Not easy to find unless you are close by a location where folks are catching "big" fish. I picked my up in Oregon City, Oregon at Fishermans Marine Supplies! Make sure you get braided as it is flexable like regular string. It is also smaller in diameter than your original cord, making it much easier to restring.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
Dave W

Congratulations on sucessfully accomplishing one of the more 'fun' maintenance projects of owning an RV.

I restrung one of those shade on our last 5er with string from a local craft shop (Jo-anne's, if I recall). The rest, I found some OEM Levelor braided string on eBay a bunch less expensive then the shade manufacturer for a lot more length. You just have to get close to the same diameter.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
Jca3

love/hate day and night shades.

We have had to fix nearly every window in our Larado. I buy the string at fixmyblinds.com It arrives very fast and they have every color.We keep it in the trailer and fix on the road. There are many sites which have diagrams for each type of day/night shade. I did buy a very long needle at JoAnns as the one fix my blinds had was too small, eye too narrow.
There are lots of folks who have replaced their day/night shades, but for us when the strings aren't broke they are the best solution so we keep fixing them.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
concours

We had one break while we were in Southern California, we picked up some Parachute cord from Hobby lobby in Hemet the cord is better quality and very inexpensive. There is lots of info on the internet on how to re string but a good tip to stop the cord from fraying while you are threading it thru the blind is to cut it with sharp scissors then dip the newly cut end in some candle wax. The cause of ours braking was not the plastic guides but the installer missed the screw guide causing the string to rub on the screw
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote