Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #21
jb238smw

Question Frozen breakaway switch?

I've tried to test the breakaway switch several times by pulling the pin to see if the brakes engage. So far, I've not been able to get the pin to budge. Given the age of the TT, wouldn't be surprised if the switch is frozen and needs to be replaced, but before I do, I was wondering how much force is needed to pull the pin. Any ideas?
jb238smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:31 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Mine pulls out with about 5 pounds of pull. It's a plastic pin that sits between two metal "spring contacts" inside that black plastic box. It should pull out easily. If it's stuck, you can buy a replacement assembly for about $5-6 at any RV parts store or trailer supply store. The same assembly is used on any type trailer that has electric brakes, so Tractor Supply or any "farm and fleet" store would have them in the trailer section.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

As John said, not much force at all. I can pull mine out pretty easily. Also, the observation about Tractor Supply is spot on. I couldn't find a replacement disconnect like the one in my trailer at the RV stores so went to Tractor Supply and they had the identical switch so you might give them a try if they are closer than an RV store.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #24
zuley

I like others I suspect, after reading the posts, have gone outside to my trailer and measured the break away cable against the length of the chains. Cable was 6 inches longer than the chains from the factory. That will be corrected before we tow again. I have not yet looked at a method to shorten up the cable. Any suggestions??
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #25
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
HI ALL next question where do you guys hook your cable to in your truck when towing a 5er? i hook mine over one of the cleats on the bed not on the hitch
Having an Andersen hitch with a B&W turnover ball in the bed, I use a carabiner to attach the breakaway cable to one of the gooseneck chain hookups in the bed.

As far as landing with the gear up...~20,000 hours of retractable time and no gear up landing...yet. I rarely fly a retractable anymore, so maybe I’m not going to be a stat.

GUMP is your friend.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #26
jb238smw

Thanks - I hadn't thought of TSC and there's one real close - I'll check them out. Looked online and found some that had a 3-wire connection where mine has only a 2-wire. Think I'll stick with a 2-wire since electricity and I aren't exactly good buds!
jb238smw is offline   Reply With Quote