Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Desert185

Drones

Before anyone "cancels" a drone flight with a shotgun, realize that the flight may be entirely legal and a commercial operation regulated under FAR 107. FWIW...

http://www.govtech.com/fs/Spaceport-...AV-Pilots.html
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Re: Drones

Flying drones in a responsible manner in a designated area is all well and good. It's the drones hovering over your RV in a campground that I question.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't most campgrounds incorporate a skeet range in their recreation plan ??? Clay pigeon?? Drone?? how does one tell the difference at 15 feet ?? LOL

The federal government is "finally" getting involved in the "first baby steps" of drone management. I'm guessing it'll be very much like the CB radio licensing program back in the 70's where most people bought a radio, used it for a year or two, ran across the CB radio warranty with the "tear off application" for a license when they were cleaning out the glove box and thought, "Hmmm, I wonder where that old radio went?".....

Stay tuned for revision 1, revision 1.1, revision 1.1.1, revision 1.2, etc.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Flying drones in a responsible manner in a designated area is all well and good. It's the drones hovering over your RV in a campground that I question.
There really are no designated drone operating areas, only areas of approved operation, which could be anywhere. That drone/UAS could be a commercial endeavor filming for park advertising purposes. I usually have my clothes on when leaving the trailer so I'm dressed for the ad and more concerned about my fellow campers violating my space in other manners...and without manners.

Just sayin'...the drone you see may not have nefarious intentions.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

If I'm staying in a campground and they are filming me while making a commercial for their business I fully expect to be informed. If someone is flying one around my campsite I can only assume it's for their enjoyment as they watch their "candid camera" videos of my actions without my knowledge. That's not acceptable.

I'm not going to be doing anything that I would be embarrassed about if filmed, but, they have no right to do it. At the same time, there could be a family situation going on that might have family members distraught over something personal - that's no one's business but the family. It is the same as someone peeking through your window at night. It's illegal and the perpetrator could get shot.

I've not been observed by a drone as far as I know and don't intend to be - because it's wrong to invade anyone's privacy like that. On the other hand, I have no problem with drones when used in a respectful, responsible manner in the proper setting.

The FAA is now getting involved to establish rules for the operation of drones due to the growth in the number of those using them....and abusing them. The more ruckus that is raised to government about those that don't use common sense when operating a drone will just precipitate more intervention and oversight from the government. We are on the verge of the same thing happening to our RV world.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Desert185

One might also consider than the observed drone (wherever the location) might be a law enforcement UAS looking for a person trying to evade capture for whatever reason.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If I'm staying in a campground and they are filming me while making a commercial for their business I fully expect to be informed. If someone is flying one around my campsite I can only assume it's for their enjoyment as they watch their "candid camera" videos of my actions without my knowledge. That's not acceptable.

I'm not going to be doing anything that I would be embarrassed about if filmed, but, they have no right to do it. At the same time, there could be a family situation going on that might have family members distraught over something personal - that's no one's business but the family. It is the same as someone peeking through your window at night. It's illegal and the perpetrator could get shot.

I've not been observed by a drone as far as I know and don't intend to be - because it's wrong to invade anyone's privacy like that. On the other hand, I have no problem with drones when used in a respectful, responsible manner in the proper setting.

The FAA is now getting involved to establish rules for the operation of drones due to the growth in the number of those using them....and abusing them. The more ruckus that is raised to government about those that don't use common sense when operating a drone will just precipitate more intervention and oversight from the government. We are on the verge of the same thing happening to our RV world.

Although I don't like the idea of drones "snooping around ", most of what you describe is legal and there is nothing you can do about it.

If you are outside, you have no privacy. Unless the drone is literally looking in your window, it isn't doing anything wrong.

The laws need to catch up here.

At a campground, you have even less control because you don't own the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Pull Toy

How come STALKING is a frowned on, and usually illegal problem, but AEROSTALKING isn't?

Invade my privacy, we "gotta problem"!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:17 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

The faa is not getting involved. They are involved my son just got his license for piloting a commercial uav. The test was not a mail in 5 bucks and here you go it costs $ time. And the test is close to the private pilot test!. His uav is registerd! You shoot it down that would be a federal offence. Be carefull
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #10
byrdr1

"Drones are not permitted in the park for privacy and safety reasons."
this is from the campground website we like the most.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:20 AM   #11
notanlines

I expect we are getting afar from RV topics, but Saabdoctor is correct in at least one aspect. This website is somewhat interesting in covering the new laws just brought in by the government. http://uavcoach.com/drone-certification/#9 I also suspect we are making much ado over very little/nothing.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Much ado about nothing? Maybe, I hope so but just about everybody I know has a drone with a camera.

I don't do anything news worthy while camping, but I haven't seen a "silent" drone yet. I tend to get a bit peeved if my nap under the awning is interrupted by what my mind perceives as a HUGE bee with a giant stinger.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #13
jsmith948

During our recent cross-country trip we visited the Grand Canyon. While at the Desert View overlook we were "treated" to the specter of a rather large, low flying, camera equipped, six bladed drone that was "buzzing' the crowd. At first I thought it was filming the canyon, but it seemed to be filming different groups of people by repeatedly flying low (I would estimate less than 100') over our heads. My major concern was the risk to our safety, but it certainly was intrusive. Akin to a busload of unruly students (or adults) descending on the overlook and making a nuisance of themselves. DO NOT LIKE, OR AGREE WITH THIS EXAMPLE OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY! Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #14
dhn

We were in Yellowstone last year and there were signs like this all over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drone.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	11393  

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I expect we are getting afar from RV topics, but Saabdoctor is correct in at least one aspect. This website is somewhat interesting in covering the new laws just brought in by the government. http://uavcoach.com/drone-certification/#9 I also suspect we are making much ado over very little/nothing.
Those rules under FAR Part 107 are for the commercial operation of small UAS'. There is no licensing or experience requirements for non-commercial operations, so anyone can go to the local hobby/internet shop and buy/operate a drone for non-commercial purposes.

I don't get the invasion of privacy complaint when one is outdoors in a public place exposed to the ubiquitous cell phone camera in the hands of anyone capable of holding and pointing, but then I don't get a lot of things these days. There are certainly more issues to be outraged about these days than a kid playing with a sophisticated, flying toy. At least he's outdoors improving hand/eye coordination instead of on the couch texting. I'd much rather observe a drone flying than camping downwind of a kid with a noisy dirt bike making a cloud of dust or a pot smoker in the next campsite playing rap music while laughing insanely at every word uttered by his fellow pothead.

It's all relative, I guess.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

On our trip last year, we saw those same signs in Yellowstone, Dinosaur National Park, Craters of the Moon NP and most others as well. I don't own a drone, don't see any need for learning, at this time anyway, so I don't keep up with the trends in "drone flying", but did run across a website that indicated that drone operation is prohibited in all national parks. The national forest service, however leaves it up to each individual forest service manager. So, again, there's "consistent inconsistency in the federal system".....

I will say that it would be "disheartening" as a minimum to be standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, on the observation deck of the Empire State Building, the crown of the Statue of Liberty or most any other landmark and to be "greeted with a buzzing picture taker" with an offering to sell the memento upon our departure. Sort of like the "group photos" on every roller coaster at Disneyworld.....

Now that the FAA has "taken over drone regulation" I wonder how long it'll be before the hierarchy builds so many regulations allowing, prohibiting and even prohibiting the allowing in particular situations. Obviously, having a 2 page document isn't consistent with our government's regulatory system, so I'd expect at least 2,000 rules, most providing guidance as to why the previous rule doesn't apply...... Gotta love our "growing system"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:34 AM   #17
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhn View Post
We were in Yellowstone last year and there were signs like this all over.
You can't fly a UAS in a national park.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Those rules under FAR Part 107 are for the commercial operation of small UAS'. There is no licensing or experience requirements for non-commercial operations, so anyone can go to the local hobby/internet shop and buy/operate a drone for non-commercial purposes.

I don't get the invasion of privacy complaint when one is outdoors in a public place exposed to the ubiquitous cell phone camera in the hands of anyone capable of holding and pointing, but then I don't get a lot of things these days. There are certainly more issues to be outraged about these days than a kid playing with a sophisticated, flying toy. At least he's outdoors improving hand/eye coordination instead of on the couch texting. I'd much rather observe a drone flying than camping downwind of a kid with a noisy dirt bike making a cloud of dust or a pot smoker in the next campsite playing rap music while laughing insanely at every word uttered by his fellow pothead.

It's all relative, I guess.
I don't like any of the scenarios you describe because I go camping to "get away from it all" so to speak....although improved campgrounds can be a crap shoot.

A child doesn't need to be "learning" to fly a drone over other folks in a campground period. That is where they need to be in a vacant area supervised for sure. I don't need myself, my family or my "stuff" to become casualties of his "learning" experience. The other examples are more easily taken care of because they are people you can see/visit and get the desired results (hopefully). A drone is operated by an anonymous person from an unknown location. This fact alone emboldens some to do things they wouldn't do if they were looking at someone eye to eye.

I would advise those not thrilled about the invasion of drones to contact the forest service offices in the areas you like and ask them to prohibit them. Since they are already prohibited in national parks it should be a small matter to extend that into the forests. The same goes for any campgrounds that you frequent.

I do think this is much ado about nothing at the moment as notanlines suggested. But, the technology is advancing, is relatively cheap and the number of users is growing so it will be much easier to nip it in the bud early on vs waiting until it IS a real problem.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #19
Pull Toy

"You can't fly a UAS in a national park. "

Only matters if it's enforced!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
"You can't fly a UAS in a national park. "

Only matters if it's enforced!
Therein lies the reason we continue to be smothered with more and more laws and regulations; ie; regulations/laws to reinforce existing laws that no one abides by....until we get to the point we are suffocated with them.