Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
mdrucker

hitch out of center?

The Dealership that sold us our 2016 cougar xlite 28sgs also installed the hitch, that being said I noticed that the hitch is 5 inches out of center they installed the frame brackets on the inside of the truck frame on inside side and the outside of the other. should the pin be centered in the truck bed?
mdrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

hitch out of center?

The king pin should be centered side to side, and 1" forward of the rear axle when hitched for towing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
mdrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The king pin should be centered side to side, and 1" forward of the rear axle when hitched for towing.
its off side to side 5 inches, now Iwill have many holes in the bed that not cool.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrucker View Post
its off side to side 5 inches, now Iwill have many holes in the bed that not cool.
If the dealer installed the hitch incorrectly, then they need to reinstall it properly. If that means buying you a new bed, I'd push for a complete reinstallation, not a "move it and to hell with the results" type of repair.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
mdrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If the dealer installed the hitch incorrectly, then they need to reinstall it properly. If that means buying you a new bed, I'd push for a complete reinstallation, not a "move it and to hell with the results" type of repair.....
I have been sitting here trying to figure some sort of way bedsides just moving it that they can make good on this I have been babying this truck now to have a hack job done just makes me sick. when I first pulled the trailer home I found most of the bolt loose on the frame rails.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Goofy

First they have to installed the hitch correct.
If the truck is an older model maybe it would be better the get money out of each extra hole in the bed?
I be sure that a good body shop can close the holes at the end.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
first time 5er

it blows my mind that anyone one could be that far off and let you leave that way? i say get a lawyer! what if something happened? you or someone else could have gotten hurt or even worse. I had a nationwide camping store install my fifth wheel backwards. After a few pictures and a short conversation with the store manager. They credited back the labor and i fixed it myself.

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
dcg9381

Lawyer up last. Give them time to resolve. Many shops have insurance for these type of mess ups.

The way these hitches go in, they need to attach to the frame rails eventually. Are they on the inside of one and the outside of another?

Sounds like a flat mistake to me. They should fix it. Press for repairs / options. Why they refuse to do anything, it's a small claims issue or you can pursue an attorney and hope the expense is covered.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
papi

I had my pull rite superglide installed by the dealer. I was working on my brakes when I used the impact tool to removed the tires 2 nuts and washers fell off to the ground. Nice to know they both belong to the standard hitch rails. To remind you I picked up my trailer in Ohio and drove to Illinois with 50 miles wind. Sometime is better to do the job your self.
papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
mdrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
First they have to installed the hitch correct.
If the truck is an older model maybe it would be better the get money out of each extra hole in the bed?
I be sure that a good body shop can close the holes at the end.
the truck is a 2012 ram 2500 with 17,000 miles on it in better than new condition.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #11
mdrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Lawyer up last. Give them time to resolve. Many shops have insurance for these type of mess ups.

The way these hitches go in, they need to attach to the frame rails eventually. Are they on the inside of one and the outside of another?

Sounds like a flat mistake to me. They should fix it. Press for repairs / options. Why they refuse to do anything, it's a small claims issue or you can pursue an attorney and hope the expense is covered.
yes that is exactly what they did, inside drivers side and out on passenger side.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
mdrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi View Post
I had my pull rite superglide installed by the dealer. I was working on my brakes when I used the impact tool to removed the tires 2 nuts and washers fell off to the ground. Nice to know they both belong to the standard hitch rails. To remind you I picked up my trailer in Ohio and drove to Illinois with 50 miles wind. Sometime is better to do the job your self.
I also lost several nuts and washers during the 45 mile drive home.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #13
Lic0rice

Quote:
The Dealership that sold us our 2016 cougar xlite 28sgs also installed the hitch, that being said I noticed that the hitch is 5 inches out of center they installed the frame brackets on the inside of the truck frame on inside side and the outside of the other. should the pin be centered in the truck bed?
Have you spoken to the owner of the dealership yet? That should be the only person you discuss the situation with. Everyone else will just be covering their own azz. Someone had to be high to make that kind of mistake
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #14
Desert185

Quote:
yes that is exactly what they did, inside drivers side and out on passenger side.
Incredible. That's a new bed or a patch job and free Rhino liner.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #15
roadglide

It should be aligned parallel with the frame could it be a matter of moving a rail over a notch?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

IIRC both brackets under the bed belong on the OUTSIDE of the frame. If they put one on the inside and the other on the outside, then I don't think the holes in the bed rails will allow for centered hitch.

I'm trying to grasp the idea that some moron actually did this. After all even if it's the first one, there are instructions and drawings.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #17
BobnLee

I have a 2012 Ford diesel. I had a trailer manufacture in the neighbourhood install a 7 pin in the box for the 5th wheel. All seemed fine until I was coming home from a 5 hour tour and the trailer and lights shorted out on a major highway in the rain. Got it home and took it the Ford dealer who showed me how this guy gut cut into the wiring harness and taped the wires. No wonder it shorted. Log story short I paid the bill at the Ford dealer and presented it along with pictures and he couldnt get into the cash box fast enough to pay(not what he charged me) but what Ford charged to fix it right and extra $25.00 . If these guys are in the business to install hitches or any other type of repair it costs the same to have it done right as it does to have it done wrong. Dont trust him to do it the second time. Have it done by a pro. and then go after the guy to reimburse you If you need a new box then so be it. Thats what civil courts are there for Good luck
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #18
mdrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
It should be aligned parallel with the frame could it be a matter of moving a rail over a notch?
the brackets are not are mounted wrong on the frame.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #19
mdrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
IIRC both brackets under the bed belong on the OUTSIDE of the frame. If they put one on the inside and the other on the outside, then I don't think the holes in the bed rails will allow for centered hitch.

I'm trying to grasp the idea that some moron actually did this. After all even if it's the first one, there are instructions and drawings.
That is exactly what they did
Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #20
Goofy

After you talk to the owner about this problem listen to your stomach.
If you have a good feeling that they can reinstall the hitch correctly give them a 2. chance.
But keep in mind, if you like to have a new bed they have to spray it in the right color and if they do the paint job in the same way as they install the hitch you have the next problem.