Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
plocklin

Heavy 5th wheel vs. Light

I’ve had a bumper pull for about 2 years. I’ve been to Florida twice, Yosemite during Christmas, New Mexico Ski resorts, Gulf Shores, Tennessee, and more. I’ve taken more trips with my family in the last 2 years then the previous 10 combined. I'm hooked!

I consider myself a pretty quick study and am starting to realize the advantages of a fifth wheel; some to speak of are the insulation and cargo space. I would like to do more winter traveling.

I currently have a 2011 Keystone Cougar 306BHS (34 ft. with one slide). I would like to ditch the bunkhouse for rear living, more slides and a shorter trailer. After looking at several brands and floor plans, I would like to ask advice from more seasoned RV'rs.

What are the advantages/ disadvantages of an Ultra lite/ Half-Ton type trailer? For example: a 30-foot trailer that weighs 10000lbs vs. the same brand and length that weighs 14000lbs?

It seems like less weight is an easier pull with less fuel but what am I giving up to do that? I have found it difficult trying to sort through all the information (or lack of) to get a reliable answer.

New tricks
plocklin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, light