Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2023, 08:07 AM   #1
Raptor Dave

Solar help and input...(again)

I've read a lot (not everything) and I'm trying like heck to educate myself on this solar thing. I'm still slightly confused about some stuff and just when I believe I understand another curve ball gets thrown at me.
I was hoping to possibly get some some guidance from the experts on a few solar questions.
We have just purchased a new (used) 2023 Keystone Raptor. It has the 400i solar package installed from the factory. Long story short, I believe we received a decent deal on the unit itself, however we were short changed on the battery system. The salesman had told us initially the unit had the dragonfly batteries but we ended up with 2 AGM instead. After a quick review of the system I noticed the batteries were only 55ah each. I'm not sure this is going to be enough bank to get through the night not running the generator or being connected to shore until the sun rises again.
We were told at the dealership that in order to install the lithium batteries the system needed to be "reprogramed"? So we ended up settling for the AGMs and figured I'd deal with it at a later time.
So here we are!
If this were true words from the dealership, what exactly would need to be reprogramed to install a couple 100ah LI batteries?
I'm not looking to rebuild this system and spend days off grid at this point.
I would just like to be able to get the maximum out of what is already there for now. Hoping to get at least a couple days off the battery bank without running the generator.
My biggest concern is the 12v frig cycling on and off all night in a possibly warmer area.
But maybe there is more that I'm not thinking about.
Thanks for any input.

Dave

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #2
Canonman

Both your converter (provides charge voltage from shore power) and your controller (controls the charge from your solar) may need to be re-set from Led Acid to Lithium as the battery type. NOT a big deal at all. Or you could go with 200 amps of lead acid (I use 6 volt golf cart batteries) and certainly be able to run for days at a time on your solar.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 08:58 AM   #3
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Both your converter (provides charge voltage from shore power) and your controller (controls the charge from your solar) may need to be re-set from Led Acid to Lithium as the battery type. NOT a big deal at all. Or you could go with 200 amps of lead acid (I use 6 volt golf cart batteries) and certainly be able to run for days at a time on your solar.
I thought about just going the 6 volt way. However, I also would like to trim what I can in weight and figured IF it wasn't that big of a deal that the LI batteries would help in that dept.
First thing I did was get rid of the 3 panel glass shower doors.

Old 09-24-2023, 10:37 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Dave View Post
I thought about just going the 6 volt way. However, I also would like to trim what I can in weight and figured IF it wasn't that big of a deal that the LI batteries would help in that dept.
First thing I did was get rid of the 3 panel glass shower doors.
If I can ask, Why are you trying to trim weight?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:47 AM   #5
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If I can ask, Why are you trying to trim weight?
No particular real reason, just the mind set I have for towing. If I can drop a few pounds here and there I'm a happy camper. We have always dumped the glass shower doors for the Nautilus shower door. Losing 60-70 pounds and a much easier system for cleaning and care.

Quote:
Both your converter (provides charge voltage from shore power) and your controller (controls the charge from your solar) may need to be re-set from Led Acid to Lithium as the battery type.
Is this something I can do? Or need to have done somewhere. (manufacturer?)

Old 09-24-2023, 11:41 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If your converter has Li charging it will say. Just look up the model number, The solar controller should have a way to switch to various types of batteries.

I dont see a need to go to any repair facility and pay probably an hour of labor for 15 minutes of work

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:44 PM   #7
Raptor Dave

Thanks Chuck...I hear you on that one. I appreciate all the help I get from you guys so I don't need to go to a dealer.
Forgive my greenness...but these are the only 2 items besides the DC/AC inverter. Am I possibly missing the converter part hiding somewhere else or is the transfer switch what you refer to as the converter?

Old 09-24-2023, 01:13 PM   #8
cougar23

My converter is hidden behind the breaker/fuse panel.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:26 PM   #9
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
My converter is hidden behind the breaker/fuse panel.
On the inside of the cabin? You have to pull the front off?

Old 09-24-2023, 03:31 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Often times if the converter isn’t built in ( bottom half of power distribution panel) it’s behind or near and yes you may have to remove the panel.

Old 09-24-2023, 03:52 PM   #11
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Often times if the converter isn’t built in ( bottom half of power distribution panel) it’s behind or near and yes you may have to remove the panel.
OK thanks...I'll probably have to wait till tomorrow and have a look.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:18 AM   #12
Raptor Dave

OK....after an inspection I have no luck locating what my be a converter.
I pulled the front plate on the fuse and breaker box and nothing there that I could see. If it is located behind the inside of the inside panel it looks like a major pita to get in behind that. Looks as if I would need to disconnect all the wiring to get behind that plate.
Also looked under the steps going up to the bed area. Nothing but wires under both steps.
Any idea where waldo might be now?
In all the pictures I've looked at for converters I believe I'm looking for a silver rectangle box?

Thanks
Dave

Old 09-25-2023, 09:23 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

First, UNPLUG THE SHORE POWER !!!!!

Then, when you remove the faceplate for the power distribution center, you'll see 4 screws that hold the unit to the cabinet face. Remove those 4 screws and the entire unit will swing out of the cabinet. All the wiring is "folded behind it" so there is enough wire to pull the power center away from the cabinet opening so you can see behind it.

It's not a difficult task and there's no disassembly required other than to remove the faceplate so you can access the mounting screws.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:18 AM   #14
Raptor Dave

Thanks John....
Appreciate the advice and direction.
Hopefully I won't have to do that as I just got off the phone with Keystone tech service and they are telling me that the distribution panel has a built in converter #WF8930/50 WAGO that has auto detect on which battery system (LA or LI) is used.
He suggested that I focus on the solar controller and make sure it has a smart shunt? And that it may need to be manually switched to the LI battery.

Thanks
Dave

Old 09-25-2023, 11:02 AM   #15
Raptor Dave

I was able to load the app for the controller and shunt and get readings on both. I don't see anywhere in the apps to manually change any settings.
Must be a manual switch on the box itself?

Old 09-25-2023, 12:27 PM   #16
Raptor Dave

After doing some research, if I understand it correctly, I should be able to change from a LA to LI on the solar control in the app.
Am I correct in assuming this?

Old 09-25-2023, 03:38 PM   #17
cougar23

Quote:
I had to pull the entire panel out. My converter is a small rectangular aluminum
unit setting on the floor behind a spider web of electrical wires.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 04:36 PM   #18
Cwinch44

Quote:
After doing some research, if I understand it correctly, I should be able to change from a LA to LI on the solar control in the app.
Am I correct in assuming this?
I have the 400I solar system also but with 2 LI batteries.
Yes you can, I checked my settings with the app and found the dealer never set the controller and shunt for LI batteries which I had. Did the settings using this from Keystone. You should have a shunt by the batteries, and it will show up on the app.

https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...DF_QSG_WEB.pdf
Cwinch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 06:00 PM   #19
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
I had to pull the entire panel out. My converter is a small rectangular aluminum
unit setting on the floor behind a spider web of electrical wires.
Appreciate the input.

Quote:
I have the 400I solar system also but with 2 LI batteries.
Yes you can, I checked my settings with the app and found the dealer never set the controller and shunt for LI batteries which I had. Did the settings using this from Keystone. You should have a shunt by the batteries, and it will show up on the app.
Thank you...I'll have a look.

Dave

Old 09-26-2023, 09:30 AM   #20
Raptor Dave

OK....
After talking with Keystone yesterday and going to WFCO web page to do some looking around I took the advice I received here and pulled the panel completely out of the wall. There is nothing but wires everywhere behind the distribution panel/converter?
Keystone has told me that the converter is built into the distribution panel.
When I go to the WFCO page it just calls it a distribution panel, no word of a converter?
Next is my call to WFCO I guess!
Still confused.....

Tags
solar