Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2023, 02:03 PM   #1
Marvin

Raptor Wired for Solar but where do the wires go

My 2019 Keystone Raptor 354 was prewired for solar. There is a Go Power cable entry plate with MC4 connectors on the roof. And there was a Go Power "Wired for Solar" sticker on the hallway wall that appeared to be a template to cutout to access the wires from the roof to the charge controller. But when I cut into the wall, I found many wires there. There are 7 green-white pairs, a couple coaxial cables, two pair of red-black wires, and a couple 110V wires.
I'm guessing one of the red-black pairs are for solar power use. But how can I determine which red-black pair is the right pair? And where does it go?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar GoPower PXL_20231211.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	45845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Wire PXL_20231211.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	45846  
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 03:33 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

These photos are from a factory tour several years ago. As you can see, the wiring is a "mish-mash" that really has no specific rhyme or reason as to what is where. There is no standardized routing plan that's followed on a regular basis.

The last time I was at the factory, I saw two Cougar full size fifth wheels on the line, same model, same options. Before they put the roof decking on them, I noted that one had the wiring harness on the roadside of the air conditioner cutout and the other the harness was on the curbside. The "tour guide" shrugged his shoulders and said nothing.

So, what you see in your photo is a similar wiring harness to what you see in these photos... The only "sure way to know" what goes where is to use an ohmmeter and start measuring for continuity from the roof port to the wires you think are the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0316.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	45849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0328.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	45850  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:01 PM   #3
Marvin

Raptor Wired for Solar, where the wires go

Thanks John for your response.
I used an endoscope to look down inside the wall from the cutout that I made for the charge controller. I found out the 110VAC wires go to the outlet in the bathroom on the other side of that wall. The white-green pairs go to the switches in the bathroom for the lights and exhaust fan. I could see the red-black pairs went down farther than the 110VAC outlet but could not see where they exited the wall. So, I removed the 110VAC outlet in the bathroom and ran the endoscope down into the wall from there.
What had looked like two red-black pairs is actually one red-black 10 AWG pair that looped down to the bottom of the wall cavity and then back up to the ceiling. The wires at my cutout were tight without slack because the wire loop down in the wall was snagged on screws. Knowing all that, I was able to work the wires loose and pull them up and out the cutout.
Problem solved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Solar Wire 1 PXL_20231212.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	45857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Wire 2 PXL_20231212.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	45858  
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote