Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2023, 10:28 AM   #21
SargeW

Here is a helpful post that I just made when investigating my 400I solar system and WFCO converter. You will need to verify that your converter is up to date with the latest firmware from WFCO.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=55756
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:51 AM   #22
Raptor Dave

Finally spoke to someone at Keystone that knew what they were talking about.
I had to crawl into the front storage compartment and take down the walls to locate and be able to access the convertor.
WF9875-AD is the number.
Now I have to be able to get in close enough to see what the firmware number on it is.

It's not camping...It's an adventure!
Raptor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:52 AM   #23
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Here is a helpful post that I just made when investigating my 400I solar system and WFCO converter. You will need to verify that your converter is up to date with the latest firmware from WFCO.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=55756
Thanks Sarge....I've been following your saga also. Glad it has worked out for you.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:11 PM   #24
SargeW

If there is no firmware sticker, it will be version 1.7 which is the old version.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:42 PM   #25
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
If there is no firmware sticker, it will be version 1.7 which is the old version.
Yes, according to what I understand today after talking with an extremely nice and knowledgeable lady at WFCO they have an updated version of firmware to be compatible with Battle born (dragonfly) batteries. She made mention that not all LI batteries needed the update but it depended on which battery company it was. I believe it had to do with something in the BMS installed on the battery.

Old 09-26-2023, 01:04 PM   #26
SargeW

WFCO was very nice when I talked to them as well. They also sent me a mailing label to return the converter to them. I also had them switch the converter to LI batteries only. I would have no reason to go back to LA batteries.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:39 AM   #27
WJQ

Raptor Dave, you are very lucky that the manufacturer used Victron Electronics for the solar. I designed my own solar system and chose Victron. It is really great stuff.

Download the Victron app to your cell phone. It will find the solar controller and the smart shunt if you have one. The app and the Victron Smart Solar communicate via Bluetooth. You need to be fairly close to the electronics with your cell phone (<10 ft). You will have to wade through the app to find the settings for lithium batteries. I chose to use the voltage setting from my lithium battery supplier and used the custom option for my bulk voltage.

Once you spend a little time with the app, you will be pleased. My only negative with Victron is they do not have factory tech support. However, I have got some answers by asking Google! They depend on the dealer to provide help. Also, you need to be in your trailer to set up the app -- can't do it at home.

I hope this helps. PS, the dealer screwed you by giving you the AGM batteries. You can shop for lithium batteries on Amazon and get good batteries for $300 to $400 each for 100 AH batteries. I bought Enjoybot and their price dropped since I bought them. I have only used them this season but they have a 10-year guarantee.

If you want the "name brand" batteries, you will pay much more. However, all LiFePO4 batteries are made in China. There are lots of good YouTube videos on various batteries. So, take your time and enjoy 200 AH once you get a pair.
Heber City, UTAH
Living the Dream at 6300 Feet!
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:11 AM   #28
Raptor Dave

Thanks Bill for the input and info.
I'm still in research mode right on which direction I want to go.
Yea, I know we got hosed on the battery deal but honestly that was my fault for not holding to what I was told over the phone by the salesperson. I figure we got a very good price on the unit and trade in was over the top. We usually don't do trades and sell out right but we used our 2021 for almost 2 plus years for a 2200 dollar difference on what we paid off the lot for it.

One of my concerns I've run into is the generator. We have a 5500 onan and several LI battery companies I've contacted tell me I can't use the LI batteries as starting batteries for the gen. ?? Research in real life users has found some say you can and some say it isn't a good idea and I should carry a SLA for the gen.
This just seems like a bunch of extra crap I don't want to get involved with for wiring and set up for charging everything.
The other thing is when connected to truck with the trailer plug and the truck is charging the LI batteries going down the road there are additional precautions needed to be taken there?

Certainly appreciate your input as my search continues.

Old 10-02-2023, 03:53 PM   #29
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If I can ask, Why are you trying to trim weight?
Chuck, looks like your question got buried in the pile of answers and didn’t get a response it deserved. I didn’t see a model listed for the OP’s Raptor, but given the fact he has a 300 pound Onan in the front, and a cavernous side to side storage compartment (begging to be filled) behind that, I wouldn’t want 4 golf cart batteries next to the generator compartment. I was curious what tow vehicle he has.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 06:20 PM   #30
Raptor Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Chuck, looks like your question got buried in the pile of answers and didn’t get a response it deserved. I didn’t see a model listed for the OP’s Raptor, but given the fact he has a 300 pound Onan in the front, and a cavernous side to side storage compartment (begging to be filled) behind that, I wouldn’t want 4 golf cart batteries next to the generator compartment. I was curious what tow vehicle he has.
Raptor 352
2020 F250 6.7

You're correct, I try loose as many lbs as I can in the trailer AND around my belt.
The front compartment on these aren't really that large. My previous 5th wheel had one large enough I could sit up inside. This one, not so much.
A couple LI batteries would be nice but still researching the products.
I remember reading a post of yours about dropping in some LI's on your rig but can't find it now.

Thanks Dave

Tags
solar