Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
crrscott

Refer problem

My fridge runs great on electric. This week though while on propane the pilot goes out and tries to re light for quite some time...lights...goes out then eventually lights again. Happens once a day but the fridge could be down an hour or so.
Stove is still getting propane just fine.
Any ideas?... Thanks
crrscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like your refrigerator is working properly. You don't mention any cooling problems or issues with the refrigerator maintaining the correct freezer/refrigerator temperatures. The gas burner does not burn 24/7 and there is no "constant pilot flame", but only burns when heat is required to operate the absorption system. So, when heat is required, the control system will open the gas valve, the DSI "sparker" will ignite the flame and "heating the coolant" will begin. Once there is no demand for cooling, the propane system will stop functioning until the next time the refrigerator control system calls for heat in the chimney.

My refrigerator, on a typical 80F day, will cycle on for about 30 minutes, then off for about 2 hours. Of course, opening the refrigerator door or higher ambient temperatures will alter that cycle, and the gas flame will be on much longer and more frequently.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
crrscott

The check light comes on as if the propane was off and the frozen items in the freezer start to thaw. Sorry for leaving out that little tidbit. You hear it clicking for some time trying to light, the pilot light, then it goes out and starts clicking again. Probably three times it cycles like that till it finally stays on.
crrscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

That is not normal. I'd suspect you have a dirty propane valve or a spider web at the orifice. Try cleaning the LP burner. If that doesn't work, then it's either a flame detector, the propane burner or the control board. I'd try cleaning the burner first. Spiders love to build nests in areas that smell like propane.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If it lights and then goes out, I’m thinking the igniter/flame sensor is failing/failed. We have had some success removing it, cleaning the ceramic with WD40 and putting it back together. Don’t ask me why it works but it does.

Make sure the igniter/sensor is in the flame. IIRC about 1/4” gap from burner is about right.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote